4 speed auto power/economy switch 

Page 2 of 4 [ 48 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Oettinger Golf GTI

NSW, Australia

its simple as ppl said.

it makes your car rev out a bit more and respond to the pedal a bit quicker when your accelerating around the place in comparison to it off.

for exchasers (mine) it makes a difference overall as it shifts harder (shiftkit solenoid in the box) then normally and also my ecu only goes into OD (overdrive/4th) AFTER 65/km ..

And reaosn you get better milage is the car is NOT supposed to pop into 4th/overdrive anytime it feels and realistically you should have it in 3all the time unless you go over 65, lucky for me having exchaser eh? .. been told this several times by auto tranny places ..

Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: R32 GTR

VIC, Australia

fuzion wrote:
its simple as ppl said.

it makes your car rev out a bit more and respond to the pedal a bit quicker when your accelerating around the place in comparison to it off.

for exchasers (mine) it makes a difference overall as it shifts harder (shiftkit solenoid in the box) then normally and also my ecu only goes into OD (overdrive/4th) AFTER 65/km ..

And reaosn you get better milage is the car is NOT supposed to pop into 4th/overdrive anytime it feels and realistically you should have it in 3all the time unless you go over 65, lucky for me having exchaser eh? .. been told this several times by auto tranny places ..

I like to prove things for myself. I find the ford auto economy shift pattern is designed for maximum fuel economy, and it achieves it in my EL barge.

How others get better economy out of leaving it in power, I cannot explain.

Install a trip computer and leave it on instantaneous fuel consumption. You'll find that fourth gear is fantastic for puttering along at 45-60km/h on a flat road, it uses around 20% less fuel than leaving the box in third. I've confirmed it too, by not trusting the trip computer and driving it in third on all roads that are 60km/h. Guess what happened? I only got 300km out of a tank of gas instead of about 380km (this was done before the torque converter lockup clutch mod which improved economy by another 20% again)

Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford

VIC, Australia

Over the past 4 days I have been driving around with the power button on and I have to say that it feels more alive.......But it's using so much fuel.
15 litres only gets me a mileage of around 85 K's and thats when I'm driving carefully.
Can anyone tell me if my quoted mileage on 15 litres of fuel sounds normal? My car is a EB 4.0 auto.

Cheer's,

revcore.

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:53 am 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

I find the power mode very effective when towing - also puts less strain on the drive train.

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:16 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

Yeah I'm leaving mine in power for city driving, I can't resist - its too much fun. But the fuel economy is s**t. About 17-18l/100km. Although I can't be 100% certain it would be much better in economy.

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NC II Fairlane

NSW, Australia

the last couple of days city driving ive done 100klms with power switch on constant, i decidid to go fill up with petrol and see what the fuel economy was,well to my pleasant surprise :o i had only done 14.3 ltrs per 100klm's city driving which i thought to be pretty good for a luxo barge.

whoever owns that ebI6 and is getting 18ltr's /100klm's must have lead in his shoes :)

"Looking at cleavage is like looking at the sun. You don't stare at it. It's too risky. You get a sense of it and then you look away."

Now with el thermos fitted.

Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:10 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: '97 EL GLi Falcon

VIC, Australia

I thought I'd try this "theory" too, filled up with BP Ultimate, and drove to Ballarat, seems to be better on the highway with power mode, and even better around the town... I seem to be getting better economy now... 1/2 a tank to go though... :roll:

Wolfpac_w

Hot Chilli Red EL, Doof, Vrooom and Sittin' Low, the way it should be!

Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:32 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

NC 5ltr wrote:
whoever owns that ebI6 and is getting 18ltr's /100klm's must have lead in his shoes :)

Down to 17.2l/100km now - bloody awesome! :lol:

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: R32 GTR

VIC, Australia

I'm down to 10.5L/100km around town now with the crusty 4 speed auto.... trying to make it into the 9's

Highway is averaging 7.5-8L/100km. I can get 7.5L/100km if I sit at 90km/h and there is no wind, it goes up to 8 for 100km/h and 8.4 at 110km/h.

Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

In my I6 auto i noticed I got noticably better fuel economy with it left in economy and found it suited my driving more - with it in power i found it revved out way too easy n found myself always too high up in the revs too often for my liking..
With the FBT, it has adaptive shift, it has the economy mode which is good for cruising, the adaptive mode which is best for all day every day type driving and a true performance mode where it doesnt just change the points of the shift, but how fast n hard they shift, quite a fun thing to play around with if i do say so myself! :P

I have kept mine in adaptive since i got it apart from the last few days ive felt i might waste some fuel in performance mode - spinning into 2nd 8-)

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

in economy mode it also flares the shifts more than in power mode, making the shifts less noticeable, at the expense of causing slightly more wear on the gearbox

Banned

Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

Interceptor wrote:
in economy mode it also flares the shifts more than in power mode, making the shifts less noticeable, at the expense of causing slightly more wear on the gearbox

Yer, i noticed this in my i6 heaps too, much slower/smoother shifts - which is what you are referring to i presume.
The guys who serviced my box said it was holding up extremely well considering its spent 90% of its life in economy mode, it was only serviced due to needing new fluid, had no probs with it running 130,000kms in econ mostly.
Therefore i agree with drone, if your auto will go, it will be from something other than having it econ. unless you tow with it in econ! :o :shock:

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:49 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: '98 EL XR8

NT, Australia

I have a 1990 EA Fairmont with the 4 speed auto, with all the sensors running correctly now...

Now, bear in mind Im a pizza delivery driver, so my fuel consumption is my no.1 consern as fuel aint cheap when you aint earning much. The area Im working in at the moment has lots of up and down roads... on average, I do around 17-18 lts / 100kms. And that is not flooring it... slow acceleration, let it roll as much as possible...

On the freeway however... I can sit on cruise control from Brissy to the Gold Coast doing 100-110 and my average fuel usage is around 8 lts / 100 kms.

I have driven a few other cars, 4.0 lt ED and a Holden LS 3.8 lt... they both seem to have a bit more push... like when the transmission fluid is super cold.

What could be causing this loss of power in my EA??? Torque converter??? Transmission??? Piston ring leaks, valve leaks?

"...we can rebuild him, we have the technology... we just dont want to spend a lot of money."
SIX MILLION PESO FALCON

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:04 am 
Fordmods Audio and Turbo Expert

Ride: FG Turbo Territoty Ghia

VIC, Australia

I have spoken to some autotrans speacilists in the last couple of days about this very issue.

Having you car in econ mode wears the transmission more prematurely, for a number of reasons but more to do with the internal clutch system having more pressure for smoother, lower changes.

In short keep it in Power mode. The guys i am speaking to confirmed there is approx 30,000 - 50,000km difference in transmission life in power mode (on average)

I've just bought an ato e-series and will definately be leaving it in power mode.

Pro Class
1st Super Tech - Summernats 2007
Australian SQ Champion - Am Show 2004
Australian SQ Champion – Pro Show 2006 & Best of Show
Ford Champion - Melbourne 2004 & 2006
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:00 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: BF Falcon SR

WA, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
I keep mine in economy just because the difference in pwr is amazing. Kinda like a novelty, car goes so much harder with econ off. Keep it for special moments :wink:

Agreed.

Proud owner of one of very few BF SR manual (June 06 build) :)

Nothing really says thankyou like a dollar in the waistband

[BLEMIN]

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/782173

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next