Fordmods Logo

4th to 5th (fast) crunches 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: 4th to 5th (fast) crunches
Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:38 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: E-Gas BA

WA, Australia

Is this normal in the manuals in falcons? My friend's EF XR6 doesn't crunch if you change from 4th to 5th fast but my AU2 S does. I reckon it shouldn't but the dealer's mechanic says it's normal or RWD manuals which I think is a load of BS. It doesn't crunch if you change slowly.

What could be the possible causes besides the obvious that the synchro is worn?

Post subject: Re: 4th to 5th (fast) crunches
Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

Moustacha wrote:
Is this normal in the manuals in falcons? My friend's EF XR6 doesn't crunch if you change from 4th to 5th fast but my AU2 S does. I reckon it shouldn't but the dealer's mechanic says it's normal or RWD manuals which I think is a load of BS. It doesn't crunch if you change slowly.

What could be the possible causes besides the obvious that the synchro is worn?

umm,,, check you clutch cable....or push ya clutch in fully when changing gear like a noob! Can't see how you would need a quick shift between 4 and 5th..

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

5th gear syncro is probably gone, they for some reason use a different material on that one to the rest. I think 5th is easily changed though.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:12 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: E-Gas BA

WA, Australia

Froudey wrote:
umm,,, check you clutch cable....or push ya clutch in fully when changing gear like a noob! Can't see how you would need a quick shift between 4 and 5th..

I'm just changing it as fast as I do with the other gears and with other cars. I was "told" by the dealer they replaced the clutch, but you know how they can be lying scumbags.

twason wrote:
5th gear syncro is probably gone, they for some reason use a different material on that one to the rest. I think 5th is easily changed though.

The oil in the transmission wouldn't make a difference would it? Their mechanic reckoned they could try a different oil in the transmission...but it shouldn't be crunching on the recommended oil IMO.

I suppose I should get onto the consumer affairs to see where I stand with this and get their opinion.

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:14 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

twason wrote:
The boxes I've seen 5th syncro ring hasn't changed much (if at all) from the EA/XF version - it's a straight brass ring, and it is exactly the same as the reverse brake syncro ring. You can swap the two if you can't get other items. You'll most likely find you can touch up the burrs, etc with a sharpening stone.
Moustacha wrote:
The oil in the transmission wouldn't make a difference would it? Their mechanic reckoned they could try a different oil in the transmission...but it shouldn't be crunching on the recommended oil IMO.
If the lower gears are fine, then clutch adjust and oil are probably not issues. If 5th is a bit baulky and notchy on normal shifts, then most likely it is a sync issue.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:51 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BLOWN 347 EB GT/ BF XR6 TURBO

Power: 345 rwkw

NSW, Australia

dude change your oil to noulon full syn atf fulid and the noise will go away some one has put normal gear oil in your gearbox they must run thin atf fluid if you run nulon full syntheic atf fluid you dont need to put in lubrizol

MY CAR PLZ TAKE A LOOK forums/xtt909-update-t66227.html

DAZFAB MEMBERS ,,,,DAZZLE, EBI347, TERRORISTGHIA, TROYMAN ,SWC, XTT909

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]