Fordmods Logo

4th to 5th (fast) crunches 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: 4th to 5th (fast) crunches
Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:38 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Posts: 9

Joined: 25th Jul 2009

Ride: E-Gas BA

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

Is this normal in the manuals in falcons? My friend's EF XR6 doesn't crunch if you change from 4th to 5th fast but my AU2 S does. I reckon it shouldn't but the dealer's mechanic says it's normal or RWD manuals which I think is a load of BS. It doesn't crunch if you change slowly.

What could be the possible causes besides the obvious that the synchro is worn?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: 4th to 5th (fast) crunches
Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 33

Posts: 6746

Joined: 13th Mar 2006

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: NCII Fairlane

Location: Bathurst
NSW, Australia

Moustacha wrote:
Is this normal in the manuals in falcons? My friend's EF XR6 doesn't crunch if you change from 4th to 5th fast but my AU2 S does. I reckon it shouldn't but the dealer's mechanic says it's normal or RWD manuals which I think is a load of BS. It doesn't crunch if you change slowly.

What could be the possible causes besides the obvious that the synchro is worn?



umm,,, check you clutch cable....or push ya clutch in fully when changing gear like a noob! Can't see how you would need a quick shift between 4 and 5th..

 

_________________

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: 4th to 5th (fast) crunches
Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 2644

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

Location: Mount Annan
NSW, Australia

5th gear syncro is probably gone, they for some reason use a different material on that one to the rest. I think 5th is easily changed though.

 

_________________

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: 4th to 5th (fast) crunches
Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:12 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Posts: 9

Joined: 25th Jul 2009

Ride: E-Gas BA

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

Froudey wrote:
umm,,, check you clutch cable....or push ya clutch in fully when changing gear like a noob! Can't see how you would need a quick shift between 4 and 5th..


I'm just changing it as fast as I do with the other gears and with other cars. I was "told" by the dealer they replaced the clutch, but you know how they can be lying scumbags.

twason wrote:
5th gear syncro is probably gone, they for some reason use a different material on that one to the rest. I think 5th is easily changed though.


The oil in the transmission wouldn't make a difference would it? Their mechanic reckoned they could try a different oil in the transmission...but it shouldn't be crunching on the recommended oil IMO.

I suppose I should get onto the consumer affairs to see where I stand with this and get their opinion.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: 4th to 5th (fast) crunches
Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:14 am 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 53

Posts: 5589

Joined: 14th Jan 2005

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

Location: South Coast
NSW, Australia

twason wrote:
5th gear syncro is probably gone, they for some reason use a different material on that one to the rest. I think 5th is easily changed though.
The boxes I've seen 5th syncro ring hasn't changed much (if at all) from the EA/XF version - it's a straight brass ring, and it is exactly the same as the reverse brake syncro ring. You can swap the two if you can't get other items. You'll most likely find you can touch up the burrs, etc with a sharpening stone.
Moustacha wrote:
The oil in the transmission wouldn't make a difference would it? Their mechanic reckoned they could try a different oil in the transmission...but it shouldn't be crunching on the recommended oil IMO.
If the lower gears are fine, then clutch adjust and oil are probably not issues. If 5th is a bit baulky and notchy on normal shifts, then most likely it is a sync issue.

 

_________________

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: 4th to 5th (fast) crunches
Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:51 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline
User avatar

Age: 42

Posts: 363

Joined: 7th Feb 2007

Ride: BLOWN 347 EB GT/ BF XR6 TURBO

Power: 345 rwkw

Location: eastern creek
NSW, Australia

dude change your oil to noulon full syn atf fulid and the noise will go away some one has put normal gear oil in your gearbox they must run thin atf fluid if you run nulon full syntheic atf fluid you dont need to put in lubrizol

 

_________________

MY CAR PLZ TAKE A LOOK forums/xtt909-update-t66227.html

DAZFAB MEMBERS ,,,,DAZZLE, EBI347, TERRORISTGHIA, TROYMAN ,SWC, XTT909

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:20 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names