Fordmods Logo

Adjusting AU2/3 Handbrake (How to?) 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Adjusting AU2/3 Handbrake (How to?)
Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

Ok....

I have searched the mods and found three posts regarding this but they are pretty hazy regarding adjusting the handbrake on an AU2. I know that it requires the removal of the wheels/calipers/rotors but I would like a more detailed how to..

Is it straight forward ie will it become so clear that this post is useless. I have read that there are two little wheels or something in the "drum" assembly of the rotor.

The handbrakes are such a fail item. I have had them adjusted only months ago.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Post subject: Re: Adjusting AU2/3 Handbrake (How to?)
Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

First things first......back off the nut, thats the one at the bottom of the handbrake lever. You can peel off the rubber cover, there is some velcro holding it to the carpet.
Then, take the wheels off at the rear, push the disc pads in a little, so not dragging, take the little rubber stoppers out, locate the little ratchet wheel, and flick it with a screw driver. They are not opposite threads on the adjusters either, so one side is up, and the other is down. Do this while rotating the wheels by hand after each ratchet action. It will be hard to rotate an LSD fitted vehicle.
Do this till you hear the shoes contacting the rotors, with a little drag, and each time you get to this point, pull on the hand brake lever with the button in, about 4 times....this helps centralise the shoes.
Repeat this till the drag is light. Test the travel of the park lever, and final adjustment is at the nut on the lever.

It is a bit of a stuff around but that is how you do it.....same for the Magna's TE to TK.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ok, I backed the nut off, I just pulled off the rubber cover.

I put a couple of bricks at front of car to chock it up. Then I jacked up the rear, took the wheels off at the rear, pulled the rubber grommet off the inspection / adjust ment area. couldn't do anything with it. I suspect that I require a new cable, I FULLY pulled the handbrake right up and it just grabbed ever so slightly so i dare say I require a new cable.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Froudey wrote:
Ok, I backed the nut off, I just pulled off the rubber cover.

I put a couple of bricks at front of car to chock it up. Then I jacked up the rear, took the wheels off at the rear, pulled the rubber grommet off the inspection / adjust ment area. couldn't do anything with it. I suspect that I require a new cable, I FULLY pulled the handbrake right up and it just grabbed ever so slightly so i dare say I require a new cable.

Did you follow all the instructions???????.....adjust the nut at the handbrake last.
Is it an AU1....??????.....check the cable mount under the car, near where the cable comes down from the hand bit......is it broken off??????......seen this plenty of times.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:46 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

maybe try adjusting it from the rear??
remove the caliper,disk and adjust it from there??

Posted: Fri May 08, 2015 4:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

So as I am cheap skate I am bumping this up and asking.

Is it much like other drum brake setup ups with loosen the handbrake nut in car and (forgive me) the sprocket thingy on or near the cylinder the sprocket adjust up or down?

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:11 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Follow cjh's instructions, and note what Troy says above. They are essentially the same as EF/EL.
The manuals were downloadable off here for a while.
I find with the EF/EL's you need to pull off the disc to get to the adjuster.
Dismantle the rears so you can pull, put the rear discs back on, disconnect the cable from both sides, and adjust the adjusters - IIRC, it's RH thread both sides looking downwards.
With the disc back on, put a screwdriver and lever the actuator lever outward around 5-10mm, and the disc should lock up. Do this both sides.
Push the lever back against the backing plate and make sure the disc freely rotates, keep replacing the disc and adjust til this is correct for each side. Refit the cable both sides.
You need to have both rears adjusted, as the cable operates with one side pulling the opposite side, if one side doesn't bind/lock up, the handbrake won't operate correctly.
Then you can adjust the cable so the wheels start binding around 4 clicks.

If you're having trouble adjusting each side, take the disc off, lever the cable actuator lever, and make sure the adjuster is expanding the brake shoe.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri May 08, 2015 9:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

If you have a big enough vernier gauge, the workshop manual says to wind the adjuster out until the diameter of the shoes is 189.6 - 189.8mm (as a starting point).

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:55 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon AU VCT Man

NSW, Australia

I don't have time to do this myself, but it needs doing on my car - Au3. Anyone recommend a shop in West Sydney who has genuine experience with this common AU niggle?

I'd be a paying customer, of course.

Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:15 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Contact CMS at Prestons.

Unit 1, 25/27 Whyalla Place,
Prestons, NSW 2170

Ph: 02 9826 8664

http://www.cmssydney.com.au/

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]