Fordmods Logo

AU Auto Trans Extension Housing Seal 

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: AU Auto Trans Extension Housing Seal
Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:00 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AU Mont 2000

WA, Australia

Anyone know how much it would cost roughly for an AU Automatic Transmission Extension Housing Seal?

Also how much should I be looking to pay to get something like this fixed? cheers

Post subject: Re: AU Auto Trans Extension Housing Seal
Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:07 am 
QLD Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF Ford Falcon Wagon

QLD, Australia

if your talking about the rear seal its around $20-$30 and you could replace it yourself.

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:13 am 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

SV-Valiant wrote:
if your talking about the rear seal its around $20-$30 and you could replace it yourself.

thanks mate yeah it's the rear seal,

is it hard to do? any tips ?

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:20 am 
QLD Cruise Moderator

QLD, Australia

No dead easy put the rear on some ramps so you dont lose your tranny fluid and then remove tailshaft have a container for tranny fluid just in case but you should be ok, Use a screw driver flat head and a hammer and gently remove the seal thats in there and you may have to hit along the edge to fold it over a little then get the screw driver in behind it to remove it.

Then hold the new one in place and very gently tap it in place and work around the hole seal slowly without hitting too hard so it warps and presto done.

Cheers Alan

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:25 am 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

SV-Valiant wrote:
No dead easy put the rear on some ramps so you dont lose your tranny fluid and then remove tailshaft have a container for tranny fluid just in case but you should be ok, Use a screw driver flat head and a hammer and gently remove the seal thats in there and you may have to hit along the edge to fold it over a little then get the screw driver in behind it to remove it.

Then hold the new one in place and very gently tap it in place and work around the hole seal slowly without hitting too hard so it warps and presto done.

Cheers Alan

thanks mate, i'll give it a shot

do u have a picture of the seal by any chance? i'm quite inexperienced when it comes to the tranny parts and not sure which seal to look for

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:30 am 
QLD Cruise Moderator

QLD, Australia

I dont but if you buy the new one first you will then know what the old one is going to look like but its easy you will handle it.

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:49 am 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

SV-Valiant wrote:
I dont but if you buy the new one first you will then know what the old one is going to look like but its easy you will handle it.

thanks so much for the support mate

i just went out to take pics anyway i'll give it a shot later

can u see it here?

i havent bought the parts yet but it would be nice to have some heads up before i purchase anything

im not too sure how to remove the tail shaft and which bolts i should aim for

Attachment:
image_00512.jpg
image_00512.jpg [ 61.04 KiB | Viewed 1125 times ]

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:43 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: BF F6 Typhoon. XP Van.XF Hearse

NSW, Australia

Check and see how much play is in the extension housing bush first before you replace the seal - 95% of BTR extension housing seals are caused by a flogged out bush.

Before you pull out the tailshaft, push up & down on the yoke to see how much play it has - if it has play, It's a waste of time just replacing the seal.

The original BTR bush is made of white metal - You can buy an aftermarket bronze bush that lasts forever, But you have to pull the ext housing off to replace it.

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Hi matey, the tailshaft has 4 bolts holding it in. They are bloody tight as they have locktite on them, and you will need some grunt. :)

The Rear bush that XPVanMan mentioned is still available from Ford and it is $29.00 part number
XA 7A034 APF, the seal is $10.50 part number XB 7052 A and, if you DO need to remove the rear extension housing, you will need a new gasket part number ER 7086A $8.95.

It may sound daunting but the hardest part is getting the tailshaft out. Just remember to clean everything before you reassemble it as you don't want any foreign matter in the extension housing.

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

xpvanman wrote:
Check and see how much play is in the extension housing bush first before you replace the seal - 95% of BTR extension housing seals are caused by a flogged out bush.

Before you pull out the tailshaft, push up & down on the yoke to see how much play it has - if it has play, It's a waste of time just replacing the seal.

The original BTR bush is made of white metal - You can buy an aftermarket bronze bush that lasts forever, But you have to pull the ext housing off to replace it.

I know in towsnville you can buy and exchange houseing with new bush, seal and gasket for under $100. it's not a big job to replace it.

PS: to the OP this thread belongs in the driveline section, as it is non engine specific.

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:44 pm 
QLD Cruise Moderator

QLD, Australia

You shouldnt need to worry about the extention housing just replace the seal and see how you go and the four bolts on the rear of the tailshaft are bloody hard to undo but as Papa Snurf says use some grunt and they will come off.

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:40 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: BF F6 Typhoon. XP Van.XF Hearse

NSW, Australia

Many times i have seen an ext housing bush weld itself to the yoke, because the yoke has worn through the white metal to the outer steel lining of the bush, Which in turn then spins in the ext housing, machining it out. All the oil pours out resulting in a burnt out trans - or one full of metal from the ext housing, a stuffed yoke & extension housing.

A few dollars more to replace the worn bush is a lot cheaper than replacing a transmission, tailshaft yoke etc.

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:56 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

After helping with a few AU taxi trans services in the past, I'd be changing that bush as well.
The thing is too is that there's not much more work in it compared to just replacing the rear seal.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:15 am 
QLD Cruise Moderator

QLD, Australia

I would agree if it was a Taxi as they do around five times the milage as per a private vehicle but not for a private vehicle.

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

SV-Valiant wrote:
I would agree if it was a Taxi as they do around five times the milage as per a private vehicle but not for a private vehicle.

From personal experience, most 150 000km plus falcons need a new tail shaft bush when the seal is replaced. I never used to do it, but then i started getting 'come backs' (no mechanic ever wants come backs) so now they get bushes aswell. and the come backs stopped.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next