Fordmods Logo

AU brake light problem 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: AU brake light problem
Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1998 AU FALCON FORTE WAGON

TAS, Australia

Hi all, need help quickly with a recurring brake light problem in my 98 forte wagon. A few days ago blew a fuse (not related to the brakes i think) and since the brake lights have failed to work. the globes are okay as they work when the headlights are on but after going over what i can without stripping down the daily driver, i cant find any reason that would cause the problem. Please does anyone have any ideas as i have my wedding anniversary coming up in a few days and was hoping not to get booked or rear-ended

Post subject: Re: AU brake light problem
Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:41 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

The brake lights aren't coming on with your headlights,those are your taillights.Did you replace the fuse that blew?You may have a short circuit in your brake light wiring which is blowing the fuse.So do some investigating and let us know how you went.Kevman.

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:32 am 
Fordmods Newbie

TAS, Australia

kevman, the fuse was replaced and checked everything else as well to make sure. tail lights are good, wiring all good so far. fuse that blew wasnt the brake fuse so has me in a spin as to why my tail lights work but not the brake lights. Really dont want to pull it apart again but looking more than likely now.....

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

Replace your globes anyway because ive had mine both blow at the same time but they didnt look blown they just stopped working, yet my tail lights still worked

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:44 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: EF SERIES 2 XR6

NSW, Australia

The brake and tail lights are to diferent circuits, the only thing they share is the earth and it is a dual filament globe! As said check the globe just in case, the globe can apear to be ok and still be blown so if it looks alright give the glass a flick with your finger and watch the filament. If you have a testlamp handy check that you have ignition supply to the brake light switch and an output from the switch when you press the pedal.

96 EF XR6 Factory 5 sp, currently in the middle of building a new motor
75 XB hardtop, factory 351-4speed 9 inch 81000 genuine km's

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:23 am 
Fordmods Newbie

TAS, Australia

thanks to all your posts, found the problem after 2.5 hours pulling wires to find the fault. found very small "bite" mark on wires which were shorting out. had a minor mouse problem lately where we park cars at work so think there may be a dead one somewhere nearby (i hope). just to note as well, checked the brake light switch and found it was dodgy. replaced it anyway before i found the bare wires but wasnt the reason for the fault.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]