Fordmods Logo

AU falcon steering noises 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: AU falcon steering noises
Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:15 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

My ex-taxi AU falcon has an issue which I am trying to pinpoint. Basically when I turn full lock at either low speed or when parking, towards the end of the turn (either left or right), i hear a loud "clunk" noise. It's really loud and can be heard if you stand a few meters from my car even.

My steering also feels kinda loose and I can actually drive straight and wiggle the steering left and right about an inch and my car will still go straight without any movement at all.
I'm not sure if this is a worn steering rack or a badly worn tie rod?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: AU falcon steering noises
Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

Could be a number of things. The looseness on centre could be a worn rack or tie rod ends or the collar that connects the rack to the steering column. The clunk at each end of the steering travel suggests a worn ball joint to me. Could be suspension bushes involved.

Best way to know for sure is to get the car up on a hoist or stands and have someone turn the wheel lock to lock and wiggle it on-centre while you watch carefully from underneath. A prybar or large screwdriver is good for testing the bushes for excess play. While you are under there, it would pay to tighten every nut and bolt in the steering and suspension, as they can loosen up.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Post subject: Re: AU falcon steering noises
Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:57 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: FG MK2 XR6T

NSW, Australia

This is often caused by loose steering rack bolts on AU's.

Make sure they are tight as f**k and also use some locktite for good measure. They actually required locktite from factory.

http://www.autoweb.com.au/cms/A_101795/newsarticle.html

Problem: Steering rack mounting stud may loosen
Make: Ford
Model: AU Series 1 & 2,Falcon Forte,Futura,Fairmont,Fairmont Ghia,Fairlane,LTD,FTE,Ute
Variant:
Date Range: 1 June 1998 to 22 May 2001
VIN Ranges:
Defect: Possibility that inappropriate servicing of steering rack retaining hardware may affect the integrity of the steering rack mounting stud. Overtightening of the steering rack mounting hardware may degrade the thread locking compound on the stud.
Consequences: This condition may allow the stud to loosen. In extreme cases the stud may detatch from the crossmember.
Corrective action: Ford dealers will apply a weld to the end of the stud to stop it coming out if loosened.
Notif. Date: 17/06/2004
DOTARS No.: R04/075
Supplier Name: FORD
Campaign No.: SRCC300

Also found this quote off another forum.
"Just a note on the rack stud recall was more to do with people replacing the steering rack and removing the studs instead of dropping the entire crossmember from the engine bay. Once the studs were put back in there were cases of the rack studs then coming loose and Ford wearing the blame in the worse case scenario. The recall is to place a dab of weld on the studs so they cannot be removed in this fashion, That is straight from Ford warranty division.
Its only a preemptive measure to limit liability"

Formerly LV XR5 Turbo, AU Fairmont Ghia V8 & EBII Fairmont I6.

Now......
Feb 2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual
- Luxury Pack

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]