Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: auto issue or tps fault?
Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

okay, so driving to melbourne yesterday sitting on 100kph on cruise, my auto decides to go back to 3rd (im assuming 3rd -3000rpm@100k) then kicks back up to 4th. then 10ks down the road it does it again, only this time after it kicks back to 4th i lose all throttle response. i pulled over sat for 5 minutes with engine off thinking the auto has kicked the bucket, which isnt a big deal as i have my t5 ready to go in.
started it back up and everything if fine for another 10ks until it does it again, only this time i get throttle response back after it slowed down to about 80ks. drove the rest of the way at 80 and didnt have a problem.
i was thinking gearbox has died until i thought about it last night, if the box died, i still should have been able to rev the engine which led me to thinking it might have been a TPS fault.
i changed the tps to a spare i had in the car this morning, but havent driven it yet.
has anyone else had/heard of this issue? am i right to be thinking TPS? or is it an issue with the auto?

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Post subject: Re: auto issue or tps fault?
Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

ranga83 wrote:
okay, so driving to melbourne yesterday sitting on 100kph on cruise, my auto decides to go back to 3rd (im assuming 3rd -3000rpm@100k) then kicks back up to 4th. then 10ks down the road it does it again, only this time after it kicks back to 4th i lose all throttle response. i pulled over sat for 5 minutes with engine off thinking the auto has kicked the bucket, which isnt a big deal as i have my t5 ready to go in.
started it back up and everything if fine for another 10ks until it does it again, only this time i get throttle response back after it slowed down to about 80ks. drove the rest of the way at 80 and didnt have a problem.
i was thinking gearbox has died until i thought about it last night, if the box died, i still should have been able to rev the engine which led me to thinking it might have been a TPS fault.
i changed the tps to a spare i had in the car this morning, but havent driven it yet.
has anyone else had/heard of this issue? am i right to be thinking TPS? or is it an issue with the auto?

TPS....maybe.....may be the Gear Selector switch ????

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

just took it for a 60k drive, 40k's of it on hwy at 100, the other 20 urban driving, didnt miss a beat, so hoping its was just the tps.
cjh, would the gear selector switch cause me to lose all throttle control?

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

ranga83 wrote:
just took it for a 60k drive, 40k's of it on hwy at 100, the other 20 urban driving, didnt miss a beat, so hoping its was just the tps.
cjh, would the gear selector switch cause me to lose all throttle control?

No.....just covering bases.....sometimes one can be unlucky enough to have more than one thing go wrong at once.

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

and that someone is usually me. my first thought was box (box related) due to the young bloke before me obviously gave it a hare time (rubber spray half inch thick in both rear arches) and the fact that 4th wouldnt lock up until for ages.
if it doesnt play up on the drive home then good, if it does, ill try the selector switch. hopefully i can get hoist access one night this week and put the t5 in.
thanks

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

With the selector switches, the rubber seal, that seals the 2 halves, perishes, and lets water/moisture in, then corossion sets in on the contact points/faces.....the ECU reads off these.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]