Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Subaru Liberty RX Wagon MY03

NSW, Australia

Beaut XG wrote:
MAD wrote:
Pfft. All softies in here.
My XF was manual and I drove to the city daily for 3 years as a 4spd, then to Bundoora daily to 2 years with the T5.
Then I parted it out and transferred the T5 to the EL and have been happily changing my own gears for 4 years so far.

If you replace the clutch cable every couple of years they are easier on your legs, and the firewall.

When I finally get my car tuned, and subsequently smash 3rd gear, I will get an Astro A5 a*** for it and happily keep changing my own gears for the foreseeable future. If arthritis takes hold, I'll convert the clutch to hydraulic.

YAY someone exactly like me haha. I drive my 5 speed XG (well, i use to before kangaroo lol) everywhere in the city, country, everywhere! Manual transmission is so much better if you use it corect... saves your brakes, your in control, better acceleration, easier burnouts :lol: but the biggest advantage of a manual is that it makes us blokes more manly hahaha.

I would have to agree with the 2 fellas above. I ummed and ahhed before I converted about whether the heavy clutch would make me hate driving the car. So far it hasn't. Having a heavy clutch is far better than having a stuffed auto that was forever going into limp home mode.

Current ride: MY03 Liberty RX Wagon
EBII S-XR6, Now 5 speed. Moved on to greener pastures...

Post subject: Re: Auto or Manual
Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5 speed XG ute

SA, Australia

79raven wrote:
Beaut XG wrote:
MAD wrote:
My XF was manual and I drove to the city daily for 3 years as a 4spd, then to Bundoora daily to 2 years with the T5.
Then I parted it out and transferred the T5 to the EL and have been happily changing my own gears for 4 years so far.

If you replace the clutch cable every couple of years they are easier on your legs, and the firewall.

When I finally get my car tuned, and subsequently smash 3rd gear, I will get an Astro A5 a*** for it and happily keep changing my own gears for the foreseeable future. If arthritis takes hold, I'll convert the clutch to hydraulic.

YAY someone exactly like me haha. I drive my 5 speed XG (well, i use to before kangaroo lol) everywhere in the city, country, everywhere! Manual transmission is so much better if you use it corect... saves your brakes, your in control, better acceleration, easier burnouts :lol: but the biggest advantage of a manual is that it makes us blokes more manly hahaha.

So does that mean if you have a tiptronic transmission your a girly man?

Not at all, i worded my first post wrong, what i meant to say was "biggest advantage of a manual is that it makes us blokes FEEL more manly" having an auto dont make anyone less manly haha. was just a joke :)

Yep, I don't know what to write here...

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

evxr6 wrote:
Beaut XG wrote:
MAD wrote:

I would have to agree with the 2 fellas above. I ummed and ahhed before I converted about whether the heavy clutch would make me hate driving the car. So far it hasn't. Having a heavy clutch is far better than having a stuffed auto that was forever going into limp home mode.

I don't find the clutch heavy, just annoying going in and out, in and out. in tip toe traffic

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Troy wrote:
evxr6 wrote:
Beaut XG wrote:
MAD wrote:

I don't find the clutch heavy, just annoying going in and out, in and out. in tip toe traffic

And thats the downfall of a manual. I personally love manuals but when its start stop traffic I love my auto. I still would drop a manual in my Ef if the Mrs would let me but I could guarantee it wont be long before I miss the lazy auto when in traffic.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2