Fordmods Logo

Auto or Manual 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Auto or Manual
Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:41 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: '97 EL Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

Auto vs. Manual, this may have been brought up many many times, but I’ll still ask none the less...

Just thinking wether I should chuck in a T5 or keep the BTR and help it out with some mods on either end. I mean, I love the laid back feeling of cruising in an auto with the windows down and the stereo up (stereo typical young driver) But, after taking my mates little Mazda for a few spins around the back streets of rye, I've discovered that I have a new found passion for the standard transmission!
So it’s hard to pick between the two now, well, for me anyway.

So the two options are:
- T5 with a short shifter and Exedy HD clutch.
- Existing BTR with a 2800 stally, (stock one modified with lock up yea?) trans cooler and 4.11s in the rear. Also shift kitted, and some form of speedo corrector.

Both end up costing more or less the same in terms of parts.

Pros of the T5:
- More responsive
- Driver is in control
- More 'engaging' drive (fun :) )
Cons
- Sh;t in peak hour traffic
- T5 is prone to braking (so I’ve heard)
- Promotes 'Hoon-like behaviour'

Pros of the BTR (with mods)
- Cruise like style
- Less things break (eg: firewall, pedal box, cables)
- Better launch (more consistant)
Cons
- Gearbox slippage due to stally (2800 too much for a daily? I’m not sure.)
- Less fuel efficient
- Auto still absorbs power.

The main purpose of the car is to be a reliable daily driven vehicle which easy enough to drive and has a bit of go/response when needed (take off from the lights, overtaking, etc.)

Also, would something along the lines of this work if I went down the manual path? (not really a fan of that cable setup)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/McLEOD-HYDRA ... 19d10f772d

So yea, give us your thoughts and opinions.

Cheers

The EL ghia
^^^^^^^^^^

Post subject: Re: Auto or Manual
Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Subaru Liberty RX Wagon MY03

NSW, Australia

As long as you reinforce the firewall and the pedal box, I don't think that you have too much to worry about breaking stuff. I haven't got a short shifter, mainly because I am short and like to be able to reach the lever lol and I am a tight a***. Another pro is that you don't have to use the wonderful e-series brakes as much. The clutch is heavy, but something that you can get used to. I did a comparison and a Toyota Dyna 200 has a slightly lighter clutch.

I would however recommend purchasing a re-built T5 or known good unit. You don't want to be swapping 'boxes over after 6 months like me.

Also, it might make it easier to sell later on. Sets the car apart, because the most popular mod is already done.

So that's my argument for manual conversion.

Current ride: MY03 Liberty RX Wagon
EBII S-XR6, Now 5 speed. Moved on to greener pastures...

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

altho the t5 is known to be crap, the btr is also crap lol

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Subaru Liberty RX Wagon MY03

NSW, Australia

bry40l wrote:

Just like e-series, but we still drive 'em for some reason :lol:

Current ride: MY03 Liberty RX Wagon
EBII S-XR6, Now 5 speed. Moved on to greener pastures...

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

evxr6 wrote:
bry40l wrote:

Just like e-series, but we still drive 'em for some reason :lol:

well..i dont haha, i kinda miss my e series, then i remember how it had rust, no air con, rough suspension, loud a** exhaust and crappy brakes and the au/b series idea just seems better and better :lol:

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

I've got both. both have pro's and con's, rather the auto apart from the slow down shifts.
I've had the manual for 2 years, thrashed it every day and never failed on me.

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Futura DUH

NSW, Australia

My two bobs:

Trust me, a Falcon with a T5 is nothing like a little manual 4 cyl.
I prefer the way my old N16 felt, the gear, final drive ratio's and revvier motor were alot better for manual.

I would advise a test drive of a manual EF or EL first if it is possible.

A tad over-rated I think.

1996 EF Futura factory manual
Fully rebuilt engine,Decked, Honed, Bored, Tolerences spot on, Wade 1673, Extractors, 2.5" zorst, 3" CAI, High flow filter, Exedy sports tuff clutch, Chiptorque tune.
Future Mods: A mortgage...

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:02 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford XR6 FG

VIC, Australia

The bigger the engine capacity the more heavy and clumsy the experience.
It's about rotating mass ie big pistons rods and crank which to achieve a quick up-change have to slow v quickly in order to reach the lower revs for the higher gear without hammering the synchro's. unfortunately the big engines carry the revs too long for a quick sweet shift. A 1.3L engine is perfect, one like the old Suzuki GTI.
I've got an FG XR6 with the ZF auto with sport shift ..... Brilliant ! :D

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:15 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Been driving my EL Fairmont with manual for 4 years. Traffic sucks a big one, but it is fun to drive when there is no traffic around :D.

I'm returning mine back to stock...mainly for reliabilities sake...less issues and more relaxing in peak traffic. Although I don't drive in peak hour traffic much, I hate it when I do. Don't get time to fix all the issues on the car when they come about, so the less things that need replacing, the better!

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:46 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: '97 EL Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

So, in summary thus far, the manual can be enjoyable when you have an open road to play with, but for daily general application it can be a bit of a handful, and also a manual el falcon would not feel as zippy as a mazda 323, but more cumbersome like.

Having said that, what would the auto with 4.11's and a stally be like in everyday driving? Better than the manual or... ?

The EL ghia
^^^^^^^^^^

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

manual anywhere but heavy traffic, which is why I like my auto...but manual is a lot more fun

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Pfft. All softies in here.
My XF was manual and I drove to the city daily for 3 years as a 4spd, then to Bundoora daily to 2 years with the T5.
Then I parted it out and transferred the T5 to the EL and have been happily changing my own gears for 4 years so far.

If you replace the clutch cable every couple of years they are easier on your legs, and the firewall.

When I finally get my car tuned, and subsequently smash 3rd gear, I will get an Astro A5 a*** for it and happily keep changing my own gears for the foreseeable future. If arthritis takes hold, I'll convert the clutch to hydraulic.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:54 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford XR6 FG

VIC, Australia

MAD wrote:
My XF was manual and I drove to the city daily for 3 years as a 4spd, then to Bundoora daily to 2 years with the T5.
Then I parted it out and transferred the T5 to the EL and have been happily changing my own gears for 4 years so far.

If you replace the clutch cable every couple of years they are easier on your legs, and the firewall.

When I finally get my car tuned, and subsequently smash 3rd gear, I will get an Astro A5 a*** for it and happily keep changing my own gears for the foreseeable future. If arthritis takes hold, I'll convert the clutch to hydraulic.

But I'm a left foot braker and the ZF is sexy, smooth n slick 8-)

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5 speed XG ute

SA, Australia

MAD wrote:

YAY someone exactly like me haha. I drive my 5 speed XG (well, i use to before kangaroo lol) everywhere in the city, country, everywhere! Manual transmission is so much better if you use it corect... saves your brakes, your in control, better acceleration, easier burnouts :lol: but the biggest advantage of a manual is that it makes us blokes more manly hahaha.

Yep, I don't know what to write here...

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Beaut XG wrote:
MAD wrote:

YAY someone exactly like me haha. I drive my 5 speed XG (well, i use to before kangaroo lol) everywhere in the city, country, everywhere! Manual transmission is so much better if you use it corect... saves your brakes, your in control, better acceleration, easier burnouts :lol: but the biggest advantage of a manual is that it makes us blokes more manly hahaha.

So does that mean if you have a tiptronic transmission your a girly man?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next