Auto to manual conversion 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Auto to manual conversion
Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:42 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford fairmont Tickford V8

QLD, Australia

Hi everyone.

Just thought I would see if someone can help. I have done a auto to manual conversion in my 1999 Fairmont au series 1 also known as series 1.5 I had it all running nicely but the engine was tired so I replaced it for another engine. Since then I cant get the engine to start. It cranks but wont fire. It has spark. The fuel pump sounds like it runs for a few seconds but I don't know if its got enough pressure. The smartlock hand stops flashing when I turn the key to accessories. Strange thing is the tank is full of fresh fuel but the fuel gauge reads half and the fuel light is on. I have replaced everything on the fuel side including fuel pump, filter, injectors and regulator checked all lines for kinks, proper connection etc. Still it cranks but wont start. checked the spark again and it has spark. Even sprayed fuel through the throttle body to try and see if it would fire but nothing. I have the auto ecu in it. I haven't changed any wiring since it was running initially with the other engine. I checked for fault codes and its got fault codes relating to auto transmission sensors etc. Could this be the problem. But why did it run before. I bought a J3 chip which converts the auto ecu to manual. I haven't fitted it yet. Im not confident it will solve the problem but I will give it a go. Any other ideas? Im looking to call someone to have a look at the car but I don't know if need a auto electrician or a mechanic.

Post subject: Re: Auto to manual conversion
Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:22 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

Put the J3 in. The ECU is looking for a trans signal to tell it that its in neutral or park. The J3, if done correctly will eliminate this issue.

Will also correct the thermo fan issue that you are yet to find out about.

I have a car.

Post subject: Re: Auto to manual conversion
Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:09 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford fairmont Tickford V8

QLD, Australia

Thanks for the quick reply. I will fit it today and try it. I was wondering about the fans. I thought they used to come on when I turned the ignition on but now they don't. Funny though that it ran fine when I first did the conversion. Did I just get lucky first time around?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]