Post subject: Ba 4 Speed rough gear changes
Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 2003 BA XT

Power: 141 rwkw

WA, Australia

Hi there,

My Ba's gearbox is slowly having rougher changes more often, second and third might be rough and fourth you might not even feel (but just see revs and exhaust note change). I noticed the rough changes straight away, but they are slowly becoming more apparent.

I'm kinda s**t myself because I know how tempremental these box's are.

Could this problem just simply be crappy trans fluid? I'm planning to get this looked at as soon as I have some money, but I have retreads on the rear I need to replace(damn dealer), please give me some peace of mind!

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

Be kind to the box (no burnouts, shift with smooth revs etc) till you can get it a good flush and filter change. Make sure they pump a good 20L or so through it and see how you go then. An external cooler is definately a good idea with the BA's too, otherwise what tends to happen is the radiator cracks putting coolant into the transmission lines and straight to your gearbox. Once that happens, it's new gearbox time.

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Thanks for that mate,

I'll head up to my mechanic today, have a chat and get onto that as it's definately not going away.

I think it might be good for it to be all flushed out anyway, I don't know last time it was done, as I haven't had it for long.

Might be an idea to just fit that external cooler sooner rather then later.

Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Well, it's a lot worse then I'd hoped.

I dropped it off less then an hour ago and my mechanic just called me to let me know, the transmission has never been touched since factory, the cars done 120 000kms now, and I bought it with 110,000.

My mechanics told me so far, that all the bolts are rusted, and they are pretty impossible to get out without snapping them, he's tried tensioning them and all that.

The worst news is, there's metal in the fluid.

My mechanic says they are not really worth rebuilding 'never the same' or something, he thinks a new box is the best bet, but for now I think he's continuing with the flush n new fluid.

Are these things worth rebuilding? The warrenty of this crap is going to make it complicated.

Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

yeah, you can have the box rebuilt, but get someone that knows what they are doing to rebuild it. You wont be able to get hold of a 'new' box that will be cost effective, plus if you get yours rebuilt you have the option of using upgraded bands and clutches
Theres issues with the front pumps on the BA auto's failing regularly but theres ways to overcome this...

Id recommend seeing Top Quality Transmissions in osborne park if your interested in a quote on a rebuild.

Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Yeah, thanks for that, thats exactly what I'd like to do.

But first the mechanic is checking out to see if he can find a replacement for cheaper, which i don't like the idea of, because it can just happen again :/ or I can have stupid pump problems or whatever.

He refuses to accept that they can be strengthened, which i guess is true, considering you can only use xr6t bands.

Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I got her back, she drives a little better but shes not the same as she used to be.

There was metal bits all the way through, also very fine metal stuck to everything.

Drive till she stops unfortunately :(

Then a rebuild or what ever is best.

sadness :( 3k i don't have, and the fact she could die on me at any time.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]