BA auto to manual conversion 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: BA auto to manual conversion
Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:48 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: falcon ef

QLD, Australia

Hi
We converted my sons BA XR6 ute from auto to manual on week end. All went well til we tried to start it and it came up with theft or something like that. I was not there so I am a bit sketchy on the details. When they put the auto computer back in it runs but like in limp mode. I went to the local Ford dealer and they said the cannot re-programme the computer and all they can do is hook their computer up and give the error code. Is this right? Is there something we have to do or any other parts to get? any ideas would be great.
Thanks
Peter

Post subject: Re: BA auto to manual conversion
Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF wagon

NSW, Australia

I think you will need a Manual ECU and have that "married" to the car by Ford,OR buy an Xcal 3 and have a local tuner sort it out.

Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:09 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Thanks mate that's what we though would happen we do have the manual ECU and the local Ford dealer is telling me they can not do it

Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:50 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

If any one has had a Ford dealer carry out this job can they let me know who did it then I can contact them and maybe pass info on to the local Ford dealer
Thanks

Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:08 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Hey mate my mate did a 6 speed manual conversion on my 3v fairmont ghia last week. I took it to BPT in Perth yesterday and they did a full custom tune on the dyno and reflashed the auto ecu to manual. I never really looked into getting a manual ecu because I figured they'd be pretty hard to find for a 3v, and I wanted a custom tune anyway :) So if you can afford a tune I would recommend doing it that way, they had it on the dyno for about 5 hours getting it running perfect, but at a capped price of 3 hours.
Aside from that though when I was researching how to do the conversion it was my understanding that you could get a manual ecu and get ford to pair it to your car or something along those lines. I assume the manual ecu you have is from a ba xr6?

Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:10 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

All up I paid $1150 for a custom tune and sniper box

Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:50 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

We have had a Ford dealer 130km away carry out the work and they assure us the computers are now communicating. One problem we have is the speedo not indicating correctly and we have put it down to the fact the gearbox is from a base model and the drive gear is not correct for the XR6 diff ratio. I have ordered the 23t speedo drive gear and will install it when it arrives. We are hoping this will fix the speedo and the fact we can not engage cruise control the theory being the ABS speed sensors and the speedo not indicating the same speed.

Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:10 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

If i remember correctly BA's either had ABS brakes OR were fitted with a speedo output shaft drive - not both. The ECM has to be programmed dependant on where it gets its speed signal.

Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Torque Ford Strathpine did my mate's BA back in 2007. It can be done, Ford just CBF doing it.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:16 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ford falcon ba xr6

VIC, Australia

The theft code is the computer telling you the car doesn't register to the computer It happened with mine put your manual computer in and retune the keys to your car you must have 2 keys it will do a perimeter reset and the computers will talk but your stereo won't work because that will need to be tuned also. but I can't figure out the speed sensor thing and change it from abs to driven gear off gearbox as it doesn't rev past 3,200-3,500 it cuts off if anyone could help and has more info, thanks

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]