Fordmods Logo

BA brakes 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: BA brakes
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5 speed XG ute

SA, Australia

Hey everyone. Just wondering why the brake pedal in the BA Ute would go all the way to the floor? It requires some effort to push it to the floor, but not a great deal. I tried doing this in my XG, and try as i might, with all my strength i couldn't get the XGs brake pedal any where near the floor, and this gave a clear indication that their must be some problem? The BA still stops alright, but just want to find out what the hell is wrong with it incase it causes a bigger problem later on...

Yep, I don't know what to write here...

Post subject: Re: BA brakes
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

my BA's pedal is pretty spongy as well and i can almost press it to the floor. It stops on a dime though so it doesn't bother me lol

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

BA/BF are nearly all like that. Ford had a little change over the years of the BA/BF with boosters and M/cyls but I still don't think they made great headway with it. Before I left Thomson Ford the booster replacement for BA's was $900.00, load of rubbish.
Calipers don't escape the bad design problem either, numerous revisions as also did Ford modify the brake pedal and Bracket.

Like Alfy said, they still pull up ok, my mate's BA has no trouble with stopping. If you are worried about it, try a new sets of brake hoses? maybe a set of braided lines? Might also be a good idea to flush the brake fluid, most manufacturers say 2 years but brake fluid being hygroscopic it accumulates more rubbish the longer it is left. I like to do the flush every 12 months and maybe more often if you do a lot of K's and brake hard more often.

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5 speed XG ute

SA, Australia

Cheers guys. Yeah it still stops just fine. I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't anything out of the ordinary for a BA. Clearly ford should have stopped with their old braking system, even though the BA stops good, the XG still seems to brake better haha.

Yep, I don't know what to write here...

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:58 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU Wagon 4.0L

QLD, Australia

i agree with Papa Smurf, you would be surprised how much flexible brake lines can in time swell with each brake application and with heat thrown in the mix, soften looked over and not thought of by some.

My cars don't advertise for Unit, Metal Mulisha, Loosekid Industries, Inverted, Famous stars & straps crap, R.M. Williams, Fusion, DC Shoes or the Transformers.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]