Fordmods Logo

BA M1 XR8 5 SPEED MANUAL 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: BA M1 XR8 5 SPEED MANUAL
Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:43 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Hi I dont know where to start but yeah im only new to this site and fords altogether .ive just recently bought a ,ba xr6turbo mark1 5 speed manual ,well more like straight swapped with a commodore but anyways love it .the car is stock standard only problems with it is the gearbox, well when down shifting into 2nd before you make a turn it tends to pop out of gear .been told its the inner sydcos needs replacement well bout 700 too replace all .now I dont want a 6 speed which every one else seems to option for . fact is your never use the 6th gear .ok my question has any one ever used a xr8 box on a turbo or are they the same box??

Post subject: Re: BA M1 XR8 5 SPEED MANUAL
Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:04 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Explorer

NSW, Australia

Same transmission, T5 with Different bellhousing and input shaft length

kangaroos and radiators are a bad mixture

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

mendyxr6 wrote:

Wrong. Not in BA. The XR8 is a TR3650 with integrated Bell housing, and a 10 spline input shaft. XR6T has a T5Z.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:12 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I know with 6 speeds if it has cruise and you don't get a box from an XR6T it wont set in the top gears... That happened here... An XR6T box was fitted under warranty as a replacement for an XR6 with a buggered box and because the XR6T runs a different 5th and 6th ratio it wouldn't set cruise because of the tailshaft to wheel speed mismatch... Maybe a 5 speed is different, but definitely the case with 6 speeds...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:26 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Thanks guys that sounds interesting , now would the xr8 box work and how much power, would it handle!! .The reason why im asking is that im trying too see what me options are considering that i can pick up these box very cheap .Found a bloke with 30yrs plus experiance in transmissions but specialize in the T5'S ,he can rebuild my current T5Z 5speed ,if thats what its called ,for 1500 what he is suggesting of doing is using the shell of my current box but changing the internals alltogerther sourcing the internals from R8 V8 Commodore Box plus mechining and still maintaining the 5speed .The benefits and outcome of that rebuilt,you can actually hold the gears longer, say in 1st gear can do up too 90km before changing into second ..etc he recon's it will be pretty hard to kill the box no matter what power you have on it.like all people just wana dig around and find out more info, has anyone done this kind of modification and what their experiances on that .what i would like to stess out ,would'nt it be easier just to bolt a xr8 box or will it fail to perform on whats been said .thanks

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

XR8 box won't work. Old mate is also full of s**t. Just Bay a T56 out of a BA mk2 onwards XR6T and be done with it.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:43 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

If you put in a t-56 you'll need the computer so cruise works and to drive the lockout solenoid too...

Why would you want first gear to get you to 90? It's going to launch like a piece of s**t... If you hate changing an extra gear in a 6 speed and hate changing gears in the 5 speed so much that you want to do that to its ratios then just fit a 6 speed auto...

You said before you never use 6th gear in a 6 speed... Both my bf and ranger work Ute use 5th for 60 and maybe 70 and then 6th for 80 and 100... If I drove in 5th all the way it'd cost a s**t in fuel...

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:49 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Well at the moment still exploring learning about this car ,ok I think what the rebuilt guy was trying to say was more to do with the strength and reliability of the box where it can handle more than 300kw + in saying to what it is now, maximum speed is same wat 40-60km before blowing that gear under a heavy dump off power.now think about every gear been upgraded to max at about 70-90km before it fails ,its not that im gonna go from 0 to 90 in first gear its knowing that's its capable of it .sounds to good to be true but still investigating it before putting a lid on it.also I've got fg t56 with computer that im looking at as a plan b will that work on a ba mark 1 ?? Thanks.

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:58 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Power is not rated in speed...

If first gear does 90km before hitting the limiter it doesn't matter whether you fang it to 90 or gently run up to 90...It's still 90km... Speed has to do with the ratios... Power it's capable of has to do with the material of the gears, physical size and teeth physical size...

Do you understand how ratios work? My 1st gears max out at 50 to 60...That's the red line... I can't get to 90 because that's the red line... If I make the gearbox stronger (wider gears for more teeth contact area) it still red lines at 60... If I remove the gears and keep gears of the same width (weak) but change the qty of teeth on the two gears I can do 90 now at the red line in first but I'm using skinny weak gears...

Can you see how the two are not related... The power capability of the gearbox cannot be described in speed... If you don't understand go and get that a*** fitted and you'll soon see how much your 1st gear launch speed will be effected ...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Tim, don't bother. This guy no idea, and won't listen to those who do.

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:34 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Explorer

NSW, Australia

67RCE wrote:
mendyxr6 wrote:

Wrong. Not in BA. The XR8 is a TR3650 with integrated Bell housing, and a 10 spline input shaft. XR6T has a T5Z.

There you go learn something new everyday

kangaroos and radiators are a bad mixture

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]