Fordmods Logo

BA Shifter install costs (for everyone interested) 

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 10:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EA Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

The shifter is very easy to install with a small amount of trans tunnel cutting needed, the centre console needs to me retrimmed with an add on bit to get everything looking right, the electronics is a straight wire in, the bracket is not hard to make, once I get mine swapped for a better bracket I can give some good diagrams ith dimensions on what is needed.

Full working BA Shifter now upgraded to BF Shifter.
BA headlight inserts in my EA headlights.

Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:24 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

lol yeah right the bracket isn't hard to make! :lol: (I'm the guy with the EB V8 who has also installed one)

I agree with everything Dellboy says about the fitting of the shifter & wiring up the electrics, all that is pretty easy. I just can't get the damn bracket 100%! Then again I've been inundated with uni + work lately so I haven't touched it...

I'm in the process of compiling a report regarding fitting the shifter up, but am holding off uploading this report until I can ace the bracket part (yes Dellboy, I *will* meet up with you in Melbourne one day! Maybe on the June 12 E-Series I could jack up your car and have a looksee).

Currently the report is 25 pages long (about 15-20 of these are photos & diagrams though)

My shifter setup isn't cosmetically complete, but I am taking a different route to Dellboy and am making a manual-style gearboot to cover up the butchered console face. Mr Hacksaw was used quite a bit (most of it was hidden butchering though, on the underside of the console) :shock:

Also, I'm hoping to fit up a two-stage shift kit this weekend if I get the time. I've got the three resistors required, a project box, and a switch, but I'll need to grab some 10W rated wire (something like that anyhoo) so I can choose where the switch goes. A shift kit (for the V8 Falcons) works perfectly with the BA shifter's electronic mods, as the wires that are tapped into are independent of each other (no wires are shared by both mods)

I'm quite happy with how the BA tiptronic works, and although the actual gear changes are a little slow in tiptronic mode (considerable lag), the shift kit should fix this right up! To give an indication of the lag, I went to the Bairnsdale Drags recently, and when I was shifting at 5200rpm, it would actually change gears at 5800rpm. I hit 6 grand a couple of times (whoops!) on some "late" (5500rpm) shifts, so I'm looking forward to rectifying this.

Cheers

-Dave-

PS Although I said the installation was "easy", I couldn't have done it without Dellboy or Muzza (I'm assuming that's him!), they are true innovators when it comes to modifications!

EB Ghia Leather interior & more - CLICK HERE

Lightning Strike '06 BF Fairmont - powered by ICOM JTG

Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Oettinger Golf GTI

NSW, Australia

big warning to all of you guys with electronic shiftkits and solenoid'd ones

You SHOULD and its a definate MUST to have a Transmision Cooler as you are putting through a lot more hardship then it normally goes through and you will kill that box very quickly.

And more of al im sure hardly ANYONE actually gets their gearbox's serviced often enough IF at all.

On the note of the ba shifter, it'd be nicer/classier to get a au tiptronic wheel and connect it to that without having omething "stand out" like a blackman in china!

eg Image

Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yes it would be nice, but would require steering rack changes, column changes and alot of other things, but otherwise could be good :)

Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 3:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Yep, a tranny cooler is planned in the near future. I'll only be using my shift kit at the lights or at the drags, normal everyday driving in D will have the shift kit switched off. Also, since the kit will be dual stage, I'll have a "soft" setting for driving along windy roads (using a 22 ohm resistor), and a "hard" setting for 1/4 miles (using an 18 ohm resistor).

As for heat issues, I would've thought a shift kit would alleviate some of this heat, due to less time taken between gears, meaning less friction, meaning less heat, meaning less wear.

I'll stick with my standard wheel ;) A little silver knob sticks out less than a steering wheel (although having the gears at your fingertips is a pretty cool idea)

I aim to service my box annually, and had it done 3 months ago. It's 300,000km old and not overhauled, but with the last checkup it was noted that it is in excellent condition 8-)

A small stally (2000-2500rpm?) might be in the woodwork too... But I won't get a stally until I change the diff gears to 3.73 ratio

-Dave-

EB Ghia Leather interior & more - CLICK HERE

Lightning Strike '06 BF Fairmont - powered by ICOM JTG

Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 3:07 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

just a thought - in regards to having the digital display for what gear you're in - would it be worth looking at fitting a high-series NF/NL cluster? they have the 'P R N D 3 2 1' in between the speedo & rev gauges... its updated from the ECU every half second or so from memory :?

anyways, even though i know jack s**t about this stuff, i thought i'd throw my 2c in!

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 3:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I am getting hold of another digi dash and will be adding the gear display between the tacho and the digi speedo.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2