BA XR6 Supporting Mods 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: BA XR6 Supporting Mods
Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:38 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 03 BA XR6

QLD, Australia

Hi all,

I currently have an 03 Ba XR6 5sp manual sedan and have plans on doing a turbo motor swap once I am halfway through my green P's (about 2 years a long time I know), I know the troubles of this but I would like to do something unique and as a project for me and my friends. In the meantime I would like to do 'supporting' mods over time. I am planning on getting a cat back exhaust done sometime next week only because she's a bit too quite right now :P . I have been looking at various other mods such as installing an LSD, sway bars, coilovers, fatter tires etc.

Since I have never done anything like this before I didn't want to risk making any mistakes in the purchase of parts hence why I am posting here.

LSD:
I would like to know if I can fit an lsd unit from a BA XR6T? (obviously manual or will an auto fit as well?)...

Suspension mods:
For the suspension mods I wanted to push the coilovers a bit as I do not want to splurge out 2 grand for them at this moment. In terms of swaybars I have found some from whiteline: http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_det ... 01&sq=4188
Supercheap auto also sells these however this kit seems to have everything I need (I'm not too sure what half of it is).
I have also been told that doing the control arms (front and rear) would also help with handling of the car but no clue what I should get.

Stores:
I have no problem driving a bit to get the right parts. There are some wreckers around me if I need to go and find a wrecked car. Also if you know of any suspension workshops or stores that would do a good install of the parts I listed above for a reasonable price please let me know. As for online shopping I have no problem as long as the site doesn't look sketchy.

Post subject: Re: BA XR6 Supporting Mods
Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

purebasshavoc wrote:
Hi all,

I currently have an 03 Ba XR6 5sp manual sedan and have plans on doing a turbo motor swap once I am halfway through my green P's (about 2 years a long time I know), I know the troubles of this but I would like to do something unique and as a project for me and my friends. In the meantime I would like to do 'supporting' mods over time. I am planning on getting a cat back exhaust done sometime next week only because she's a bit too quite right now :P . I have been looking at various other mods such as installing an LSD, sway bars, coilovers, fatter tires etc.

Since I have never done anything like this before I didn't want to risk making any mistakes in the purchase of parts hence why I am posting here.

LSD:
I would like to know if I can fit an lsd unit from a BA XR6T? (obviously manual or will an auto fit as well?)...

Suspension mods:
For the suspension mods I wanted to push the coilovers a bit as I do not want to splurge out 2 grand for them at this moment. In terms of swaybars I have found some from whiteline: http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_det ... 01&sq=4188
Supercheap auto also sells these however this kit seems to have everything I need (I'm not too sure what half of it is).
I have also been told that doing the control arms (front and rear) would also help with handling of the car but no clue what I should get.

Stores:
I have no problem driving a bit to get the right parts. There are some wreckers around me if I need to go and find a wrecked car. Also if you know of any suspension workshops or stores that would do a good install of the parts I listed above for a reasonable price please let me know. As for online shopping I have no problem as long as the site doesn't look sketchy.

LSD, yes you can, easiest way is to find someone wrecking a XR6T and grab and swap the whole thing.

Exhaust, the standard Xr6T exhaust is twin 2 1/4 pipes, so the single 2.5 inch cat back would not by all that much of an upgrade. The factory Xr6T is perfectly fine if you swap the middle muffler for straight though pipes and perhaps upgrade the CAT itself. (I was very happy with that arrangement for my XR6T until I recently picked up a very cheap 3.5 inch Xforce stainless exhaust with 4 inch dump pipe)

Suspension, all I've done is put Gabrielle Ultra's though out and a 27mm front sway bar from ebay (was 190 bucks) and I'm stoked at how well it handles now. Any rubbers that are stuffed should be replaced obviously, but I don't think the benefit or replacing them is all that significant if the old ones are still good.

Can't help you with stores as I generally do my own work.. but if you were in WA I could make some suggestions for cheap BA/BF/Territory parts.

We just picked up a complete, recently rebuilt BA XR6T engine with hd springs etc, full engine bay loom and PCM (and a nearly new turbo) for $1000. We will be putting all of that straight into a NA BA XR6 and doing a PATS reset and I fully expect the car to drive much as it did in the car that donated the engine.

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:36 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

frankieh wrote:
purebasshavoc wrote:
Hi all,

LSD:

Suspension mods:

Stores:

LSD, yes you can, easiest way is to find someone wrecking a XR6T and grab and swap the whole thing.

Exhaust, the standard Xr6T exhaust is twin 2 1/4 pipes, so the single 2.5 inch cat back would not by all that much of an upgrade. The factory Xr6T is perfectly fine if you swap the middle muffler for straight though pipes and perhaps upgrade the CAT itself. (I was very happy with that arrangement for my XR6T until I recently picked up a very cheap 3.5 inch Xforce stainless exhaust with 4 inch dump pipe)

Suspension, all I've done is put Gabrielle Ultra's though out and a 27mm front sway bar from ebay (was 190 bucks) and I'm stoked at how well it handles now. Any rubbers that are stuffed should be replaced obviously, but I don't think the benefit or replacing them is all that significant if the old ones are still good.

Can't help you with stores as I generally do my own work.. but if you were in WA I could make some suggestions for cheap BA/BF/Territory parts.

We just picked up a complete, recently rebuilt BA XR6T engine with hd springs etc, full engine bay loom and PCM (and a nearly new turbo) for $1000. We will be putting all of that straight into a NA BA XR6 and doing a PATS reset and I fully expect the car to drive much as it did in the car that donated the engine.

Sorry mate must be a misunderstanding I current have an NA XR6 so it still has the single pipe. I'll have a look at the Gabrielle's and the sway bar. Ahh if only I was in WA, sounds nice keen to hear the out come. Thank you for the suggestions!

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

purebasshavoc wrote:
frankieh wrote:
purebasshavoc wrote:
Hi all,

LSD:

Suspension mods:

Stores:

Sorry mate must be a misunderstanding I current have an NA XR6 so it still has the single pipe. I'll have a look at the Gabrielle's and the sway bar. Ahh if only I was in WA, sounds nice keen to hear the out come. Thank you for the suggestions!

The Xr6 naturally aspirated are a single pile, the standard exhaust on an XR6T is dual 2.25 inch piles side by side.. looks the same from the back. so if you get the standard exhaust when you get the turbo upgrade, it's really all you need for the most part unless you want to go nuts for power.

cheers

Frank

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:02 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

frankieh wrote:
purebasshavoc wrote:
frankieh wrote:
purebasshavoc wrote:
Hi all,

LSD:

Suspension mods:

Stores:

The Xr6 naturally aspirated are a single pile, the standard exhaust on an XR6T is dual 2.25 inch piles side by side.. looks the same from the back. so if you get the standard exhaust when you get the turbo upgrade, it's really all you need for the most part unless you want to go nuts for power.

cheers

Frank

Power goals are still in the air but I'll have a look at some XR6T's around here, should it jsut be able to bolt on to my existing cat?

Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

purebasshavoc wrote:
Power goals are still in the air but I'll have a look at some XR6T's around here, should it jsut be able to bolt on to my existing cat?

No, your NA cat is a single inlet single outlet. The factory 6T exhaust, is a big single inlet and twin 2.25 inch outlets. When I replaced my cat, I had to get an adapter welded on to split the 3.5 inch cat to the two 2.25 pipes. It was awesome once I'd done that.

Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:57 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

frankieh wrote:
purebasshavoc wrote:

No, your NA cat is a single inlet single outlet. The factory 6T exhaust, is a big single inlet and twin 2.25 inch outlets. When I replaced my cat, I had to get an adapter welded on to split the 3.5 inch cat to the two 2.25 pipes. It was awesome once I'd done that.

Ahh okay. Do you have any pictures of the split part? One of my mates just wanted to have a look at it if me and him were to attempt it.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]