Fordmods Logo

BF XR6 Help 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: BF XR6 Help
Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:40 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BF XR6 N/A

VIC, Australia

G'day all, recently flew up to Sydney and picked up my first car (2006, BF XR6). It's in decent shape, but could have been looked after better, but for the price it's great! It's done 230800 Kms, got a Hurricane Exhaust, cat and Extractors, sounds really good and would have to be the best I've heard. It's going in for a roadworthy tomorrow. Rear bushings are knacked and who knows what else...

Anyway, I have a few questions:

Best engine oil to use?

Any way to remove cigarette smoke smell from the car?

If I was to make my own snorkel and air intake, what do i need to consider?

There is also a really annoying wind noise around both sides of the car at speed, what could it be?

Is anyone running DBA T2's? If so, what brake pads are you using?

Good tires that are a decent price

Also what are some other worthwhile mods?

Cheers guys!

http://imgur.com/a/Lx9yU

Last edited by TheFlappingFalcon on Sun May 07, 2017 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: BF XR6 Advice Needed
Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:14 pm 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

TheFlappingFalcon wrote:
G'day all, recently flew up to Sydney and picked up my first car (2006, BF XR6). It's in decent shape, but could have been looked after better, but for the price it's great! It's done 230800 Kms, got a Hurricane Exhaust, cat and Extractors, sounds really good and would have to be the best I've heard. It's going in for a roadworthy tomorrow. Rear bushings are knacked and who knows what else...

Best engine oil to use? i personally use Penrite HPR 5

Any way to remove cigarette smoke smell from the car? Professional interior steam clean

If I was to make my own snorkel and air intake, what do i need to consider? Probably better using an XR6T air intake tube or invest in a Typhoon lower air box

There is also a really annoying wind noise around both sides of the car at speed, what could it be? Check the door seals are all on ok and not missing anywhere or the car has not been in an accident and panels are not out of alignment

Is anyone running DBA T2's? If so, what brake pads are you using? No im using RDA slotteds with Genuine pads for now.

Good tires that are a decent price Bob Jane does good deals on tyres here. I have always used Falken or Pirelli Centuratos.

Also what are some other worthwhile mods? How deep is your pocket ? Dont drop the car on its guts though. Thats a silly mod that will be sure to scrape underneath on every speed hump. My XR6 does this already sometimes on standard height.

Cheers guys!

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:11 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Thanks a heap mate! Helps a lot!

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:59 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Don't have an overly deep pocket, but wasn't even considering lowering it, is bad enough as it is haha! :lol:

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:21 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 2003 BA N/A XR6 ute

NSW, Australia

TheFlappingFalcon wrote:

Best engine oil to use? Castrol Edge 5w-30 or Penrite HPR 5 - whatever is on special. Ryco premium filter

Any way to remove cigarette smoke smell from the car? Steam clean the s**t out of everything (as stated above)

If I was to make my own snorkel and air intake, what do i need to consider? I'm using a Territory intake pipe (smoother flow as if doesn't have the moulding in it for the intake manifold -
will rub on bonnet lining), Turbo/XR8 larger upper snorkel and a Hyperflow lower (basically an expensive typhoon lower) with a K&N filter. Works great and stock to look at

There is also a really annoying wind noise around both sides of the car at speed, what could it be? Rubbers as stated

Is anyone running DBA T2's? If so, what brake pads are you using? Yes, they are f**k mint.
So much better over the stock rotor and don't warp easily. Plenty for street use. Am using with Bendix ultra premium/GCT (same thing, just UP is SCA Exclusive). Not too dusty but work well. Will possibly be trying some QFM next, but I may not either as they are plenty for me

Good tires that are a decent price I've been using Nexen for years now, they discontinued the N6000 and they are hard to find reasonably fresh. The N'Fera SU1 is a bit dearer too so the next time I need rubber on the 18's I will try the Achilles ATR2, they review well enough. If I can get some wide 17's for Summer I'll give the Federal RS-RR a go. Bridgestone RE003 are also doing the job great on my wifes corolla and 4 for 3 atm

Also what are some other worthwhile mods? Underdrives, custom tune if you have the coin. Diff gears depending on the box. If Auto get a transcooler

Cheers guys!

2003 Narooma Blue XR6 ute - NOW WITH 6 SPEED! - Underdrives, Hyperflow + Terry pipe + turbo snorkel, 4490's, Venom H/F Cat, 2.5" Redback, BF Turbo T56 conversion, H/D Turbo clutch, custom tailshaft, 3.89 LSD

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:58 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Awesome thanks Josh! Appreciate your advice

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]