Big rotors, Big calipers 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Big rotors, Big calipers
Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:50 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU I forte

WA, Australia

Hi All!

I have an AU-I and i when i bought the car i thought i'd try and make it look a little less s**t with some nice 19" mags (worked fairly well). But, in doing so i've exposed my pathetic rotors and calipers. So i was hoping to install something like this:

(http://www.pbrperformance.com.au/upgrade.htm)

However, the PBR website sucks! i got to call them up and f**k around to get prices and i don't even know if this is going to be an easy enough operation.

INPUT PLEASE :D
what sort of cost?
new brackets required?
DIY job?
worth it?
anything else you might think of

PH 4480 racing extractors
lukey 2.5" sports exhaust
Chopper 19"x245 mags
pioneer deck, 6"x1.5" Splits (F) and 6" 3-way speakers (R)
Precision response 4x 100w amp and 1000w mono 10" sub
Got so much more to go!
tint, breaks and spoiler next!

Post subject: Re: Big rotors, Big calipers
Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

There are a few ways you can go. 1. Get yourself a new lower control arm and stub axle form AUII. AUIII or BA and add them to your car then either use AUII, AUIII or BA calipers on the front.This will give you better braking and is a mod that a lot of AUI owners do ( I haven't yet as I don't have the spare $$$ or time).

From what I have heard, this is the BEST way to go and is sure to give you MUCH better braking and hopefully won't break your bank? Don't forget you will have to change the Discs as well. AUII, AUIII are the same but BA's are different as are the Calipers. The rotors, calipers, lower arms and Stub axles are all you need in parts, some elbow grease, maybe a mate to help and of course, a few beers after all is finished :) Just make sure you CLEAN everything as you go. Don't put filthy stuff on your car for the want of an hours cleaning.

I hope that will help? You WILL need to hunt some wreckers to see what is available and how CHEAP.

At least you can check prices for that idea or go the way of the PBR setups?

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:18 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU I forte

WA, Australia

Thanks for response Papa Smurf

Yeah i might do that, do you know roughly how much bigger the BA calipers are? (gotta fill up that space)

I think i'll probably go down that path because i think PBR is going to be way expensive and i don't have any money at the moment. I just want better braking and rotors to fill out the mags.

I was thinking of getting the IRS of a BA and fit that to my AU along with the brakes, am i being sensible? Are the BA rear breaks much different? do they have bigger rotors?

Will the diff from the BA IRS fit onto an AU?

Or am i better off fitting the IRS from an AUIII? then fitting the brakes from a BA?

Thanks mate!

PH 4480 racing extractors
lukey 2.5" sports exhaust
Chopper 19"x245 mags
pioneer deck, 6"x1.5" Splits (F) and 6" 3-way speakers (R)
Precision response 4x 100w amp and 1000w mono 10" sub
Got so much more to go!
tint, breaks and spoiler next!

Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Well, BA's do have trouble with brakes getting shuddery after a time and seem to load the front rotors a lot. The pad size of the AU II, III is not that much smaller than a BA/BF and have less trouble with shuddering. YOu could I guess spend a lot of mony on putting larger BA rotors from a GT or GTP but that would start to become to prohibitve as far as $$$ are concerned.

The BA IRS won't fit into your AU and the AU IRS had problems of it's own. I have an AU XR6 with a live axle and I like the feel of it, better than a BA actually. I find my AU a little more responsive around corners (although many will disagree).

At the end of the day I believe you would be better going the route I first suggested? New lower Control arms, Stub axles and Sway bar and Links ( you have to change that as the AUII, III have a different mounting to the AU1. You would need to purchase 2 NEW sway bar brackets and 2 NEW links and like I aid before, time, elbow grease and a friend (if nothing else, the friend can stop you from hurting yourself) :)

IF you can, go around some car yards and have a look at BA/BF and AUII III with mages and see how they look, that will give you a good idea. Make sure you take the time to phone around wreckers to get the BEST buy on arms and axles. Try to ask for the AUII ones and don't mention BA/BF, they might want to charge more :D
Cross drilled and BIG Brembos look great but so are the $$$$ to buy them.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]