Fordmods Logo

Brake fail light on EB 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Brake fail light on EB
Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:59 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Hey guys, I have no idea what's happening here, when I turn my car to the "on" position, there is no problem, everything is cool, but when I actually try to start it, the "Brake Fail" light comes on and nothing happens. Doesn't try to start the car or anything.

That was about 20 mins ago. Just before I whipped back to fordmods to check out what other people have said. I then tried to pump the brake, and hold it on to start, still nothing. I have also tried checking the brake fluid levels and they are also fine. I really have no idea what's wrong.

Random other stuff I have tried - (My car is an auto) starting the car in neutral and then tried in park, had a look at all connections for the brake fluid under the hood - all seem fine.

Also, just to clarify, the warning doesn't come on when the car is in the "on" position, only when the car is trying to start (and it stays lit until I return it back to the "on" position, where it turns off again).

I have no idea what is going on :(

Please help!

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:17 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EB V8

NSW, Australia

So the car won't start? Brakes are not likely to be related to that.

Brake light coming on when starting is normal. Brake light staying on after engine is started is a sign that pressure in the brake system is escaping (ie. a leak).

Production Editor of Performance Motoring at Express Media Group
shollier@expresspublications.com.au
Phone: (02) 9741 3838 (direct line)

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:20 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Ok, I just went out to try and start the car - YAY it starts, for some unknown reason. If you guys could still reply and give me some tips and stuff as to why this may have happened and if it happens again, how to stop it - please do. I don't know if this is going to be a reoccurring problem, is there something I should check?

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:22 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

sam12h wrote:
So the car won't start? Brakes are not likely to be related to that.

Brake light coming on when starting is normal. Brake light staying on after engine is started is a sign that pressure in the brake system is escaping (ie. a leak).

Nah what it did was when the car wasn't actually running, but the key was in the "ON" position, the brake light wasn't on at all, and that's the way it has always been, but when I went to start the car, it turned on and the motor didn't turn over at all. This is the first time it has happened and for some reason it worked when I went out just a second ago, but just in case it happens again - do you guys know any causes? Things I should look out for?

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:34 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

One possible cause (not related to the brakes) for the occasional failure to start is the neutral/park switch on the auto, but only if it is not cranking at all. This is a common fault for old BTRE autos.

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:46 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

sam12h wrote:
One possible cause (not related to the brakes) for the occasional failure to start is the neutral/park switch on the auto, but only if it is not cranking at all. This is a common fault for old BTRE autos.

Is this something that I would need to replace or something that I would need to live with?

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:17 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

So I take it that when it won't start it does not crank at all & when it does turn over it starts fine???

If so the switch would need to be replaced. They get worse till they just don't work at all so you can't just live with it..

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:31 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

sam12h wrote:
So I take it that when it won't start it does not crank at all & when it does turn over it starts fine???

If so the switch would need to be replaced. They get worse till they just don't work at all so you can't just live with it..

Yeah that's exactly what's happening - it's doing it right now. What do I need to look for - I have no idea what this thing is - about how much would it cost and can I do it myself?

Cheers,

Michael

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:38 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

You can change it, but I've not done it myself. Try a search, I know this has been asked before. Failing that rename the thread or start a new one as I'm sure there are other members that will know how to change it.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]