Fordmods Logo

brake issue 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: brake issue
Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:08 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Hey Guys,
I have an El fairmont with ABS that has a brake issue.
It is the boys car to learn to drive in and from a variety of things like flat battery, it has sat around for quite a while.
It has developed a bad pull to the drivers side during braking that I initially put down to a sticking ODSF caliper. It was pretty stuck and after cleaning up, re-installed and tried to bleed the brake.
Problem.
Pedal is as hard as, but no fluid is coming out of the ABS module port to the brake. I undid the pipe right on the module block and as dry as. There is fluid to the DSF though.
Is there a trick to this? Battery was flat, And I was going to try it running so I have it on charge, but It obviously wasnt working before so seriously doubt that is the problem. Shouldnt have to have it running to bleed brakes IMHO.
Is there a trick to this or at least a common fault with these anti-lock brakes.
I look forward to your help.

Post subject: Re: brake issue
Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Doesn't sound good......you may need to scrap the system, and make it povo pack brakes.....????
Is the booster cracked at all ???

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:30 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

No it isnt. As posted there is fluid to the DSF brake, and a really hard pedal so it sint getting to the ODSF.
I initially tried to pump the stuck piston out by applying the brakes with the caliper unbolted to no avail, which at first glance said stuck piston. I couldnt pry the piston out and had to start up the compressor and used compressed air. When it came out pretty easy with that, the alarm bells started ringing.
Didnt want to disconnect the ABS, what would be the legality of that?
As I have asked, Is there and issue with these ABS systems that do this?

Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

crsmith wrote:
No it isnt. As posted there is fluid to the DSF brake, and a really hard pedal so it sint getting to the ODSF.
I initially tried to pump the stuck piston out by applying the brakes with the caliper unbolted to no avail, which at first glance said stuck piston. I couldnt pry the piston out and had to start up the compressor and used compressed air. When it came out pretty easy with that, the alarm bells started ringing.
Didnt want to disconnect the ABS, what would be the legality of that?
As I have asked, Is there and issue with these ABS systems that do this?

ABS was an optional extra on a GLi, but standard fittment on all models above that.
Same for utes too.
ABS is those that don't anticipate enough and can't drive.
In mud, my non ABS Falcon pulls up faster than my wife's Magna that does have ABS.....figure that out ??????

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:51 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Yup they can, The locked wheel produces a build up in front like a wheel chock. Some systems used to turn the ABS off under certain speeds for the same reason.
Same problem though, I would've though that at the least the ABS wouldnt work and there would still be fliud coming out enough to work.
I will still have to buy components to make my brakes work regardless as if the ABS block is the problem I will have to substitute something.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]