Fordmods Logo

Brake pads for FG XR6 falcon 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Brake pads for FG XR6 falcon
Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:38 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford FG XR6

SA, Australia

Starting to get the brake squeal action on my FG XR6 so im going to put some slotted rotors on, but my question is. What brake pads do you guys recommend for me to use. I don't want heavy brake dust build up, don't want squealing and I want a good pedal. I was always a fan of Ferodo XL pads but I know they aren't available anymore. Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Brake pads for FG XR6 falcon
Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Change you brake fluid, and check the slides for movement, and I put Grey Maxx silicone on the shims where they sit in the pad craddle to act as an insulator.
Also roughen up the old rotor friction surfaces too.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:31 pm 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

cjh wrote:
Change you brake fluid, and check the slides for movement, and I put Grey Maxx silicone on the shims where they sit in the pad craddle to act as an insulator.
Also roughen up the old rotor friction surfaces too.

Thanks for the reply, but I do change the fluid regularly, the slides are fine and I know the reason they are squealing is because the surface of the rotor is glazed. I will fix this by replacing the rotors. My reason for this post is to get opinions of brake pads to use.

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

It just so happened today, that I fitted stock RDA rotors, rekitted the calipers, and changed the brake fluid, and fitted Bendix General CT's to an AUII Ute.
So far, no noises and all good.......not my ute....belongs to a mate......however, if there are any issues with it, i'll be hearing about it.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:53 am 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

cjh wrote:
It just so happened today, that I fitted stock RDA rotors, rekitted the calipers, and changed the brake fluid, and fitted Bendix General CT's to an AUII Ute.
So far, no noises and all good.......not my ute....belongs to a mate......however, if there are any issues with it, i'll be hearing about it.

Have fitted Bendix CT's before when they first came out and didn't think much of them. I didn't like the pedal feel from them. They didn't squeal but the pedal feel wasn't flattering.

Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:23 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Don't use Bendix SCT on Slotted Rotors, will wear them too quick.

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:44 pm 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

Back to my original question........... What brake pads....?

Posted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

My AU2 XR6 (2-piston front calipers) had brand new rotors and Bendix GCT pads all round when I bought it. The pads were quiet, but the stopping power was frighteningly bad. I don't recall how much dust they created. After a couple of weeks I swapped in QFM HPX pads on all four corners, after having excellent experience with them on my EF XR6 (1-piston front calipers). The improvement in stopping power over the GCTs was night and day (min 20% shorter distance). The AU stops so hard you could lose your fillings. They are completely quiet, and produce only moderate amounts of dust. And what dust there is is a lighter colour and not sticky like usual; it comes off easily and doesn't stain the alloys.

I have been using nothing but QFM HPX pads for about five years and they are the best I have used. They are superior to the EBC Greenstuff and Redstuff pads I had on the EF previously. The initial bite especially is much better. They are also long-lasting, yet quite gentle on rotors. They have never faded on me, but I haven't done any circuit work, so have no idea where the limit is (they have an A1RM compound for combined street and track duty). HPX are not cheap, but excellent value regardless. It would be very difficult to convince me to even try anything else. I buy mine from GSL Rallysport (http://www.gslrallysport.com).

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:03 pm 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

efxr6wagon wrote:
My AU2 XR6 (2-piston front calipers) had brand new rotors and Bendix GCT pads all round when I bought it. The pads were quiet, but the stopping power was frighteningly bad. I don't recall how much dust they created. After a couple of weeks I swapped in QFM HPX pads on all four corners, after having excellent experience with them on my EF XR6 (1-piston front calipers). The improvement in stopping power over the GCTs was night and day (min 20% shorter distance). The AU stops so hard you could lose your fillings. They are completely quiet, and produce only moderate amounts of dust. And what dust there is is a lighter colour and not sticky like usual; it comes off easily and doesn't stain the alloys.

I have been using nothing but QFM HPX pads for about five years and they are the best I have used. They are superior to the EBC Greenstuff and Redstuff pads I had on the EF previously. The initial bite especially is much better. They are also long-lasting, yet quite gentle on rotors. They have never faded on me, but I haven't done any circuit work, so have no idea where the limit is (they have an A1RM compound for combined street and track duty). HPX are not cheap, but excellent value regardless. It would be very difficult to convince me to even try anything else. I buy mine from GSL Rallysport (http://www.gslrallysport.com).

Do they squeal at all?

Posted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

No, no squeal at all on either the AU or EF.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]