brakes failing 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: brakes failing
Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:38 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 1996 EF II FAIRMONT

VIC, Australia

i just bought an ef monty and the car sales man just said that the brakes had just been done all round all new disks and pads (probs chepo ones i have not had a chance to look at them yet) but after driving for about 50k's my brakes started to degrade to nearly non working.
When i bought the car i noticed that you had to push the pedal down a fair way to get the car to stop they would work fine just wouldn't start to stop the car until about halfway down.

I worked out that to get the brakes to semi work again you have to turn the car off and pump them till the brakes go hard. i'm thinking that its just air in the lines or something, what do you guys think?
(also the car sales man said if i have any problem to take it back so that's what i will be doing tommorow) but just to get a bit better idea of the problem i'm posting this :)

just a side note aswell this car had a raody done on it about a week ago......i dont know how it would had past with brakes like this :?

cheers

Post subject: Re: brakes failing
Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

Air in the lines is a definite possibility. Also, the brake fluid is probably very old and absorbed lots of moisture, so will tend to boil if doing any significant braking, especially in hot weather. A brake fluid flush and bleed is only about $50 retail, so the dealer shouldn't have a problem doing that for you.

After that, even rubbish brake pads should stop you safely. If you still have a problem, check for worn master cylinder.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]