Fordmods Logo

Brakes Shudder and Scrape? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Brakes Shudder and Scrape?
Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Mondeo XR5T

Power: 173 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Guys,

Two problems here.

First, when slowing down from about 80k on a down hill slope, I get terrible vibrations through the steering wheel. This only happens on down hill slopes, not on flat surfaces. I got a wheel alignment and the brakes look fine, any suggestions?

Second, the RHS rear is producing scraping noises. I can hear it in under cover car parks and when driving beside concrete barriers. Also, sometimes when I engage my handbrake then dissengage and drive off, I am left with a horrible squeelling noise which can only be rectified by slightly applying the handbrake while I am still driving. I have had my handbrake serviced 4 or 5 times, but I dont think this is the problem (every time I produce the car for ford to work the problem, its always, "cant fault", same old story from ford).
Warped Disk maybe? Suggestions please.

Shugg

Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

Yeah just with your brakes shuddering you might have to upgrade to DBA cross slotted rotors as standard Falcon Rotors- are absolutely shocking on just the tiniest of downhills I found. I went the cross-slotted and have never had an issues since. :D

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I dont even know what brakes I'm running. What ever the AUII XR6 VCT came out with, is what I have, are they standard?

Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Shugg wrote:
I dont even know what brakes I'm running. What ever the AUII XR6 VCT came out with, is what I have, are they standard?

Yeah im pretty sure they'd just be a standard rotor.

Shuddering: more than likely a warped rotor. Very difficult to identify by the eye. Dont think a machning costs a great deal, and replacing the rotor wouldnt cost much more than a skim would.

Scraping: how are the pads? Re: handbrake, it may just need adjusting. But you also get a lot of s**t building up between the shoe and the inside of the rear rotor.

If you want to be told "dunno what's srong mate" then take it to a ford dealership. Otherwise, any mechanic that's done more than 2 years of their apprenticeship should be able to diagnose/fix brake-related problems. i.e. dont take it to a ford dealership, most of em are f**k useless!

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I'm hearing you dude.

Dont get me wrong, I love my fords, but Ford Dealerships are just corporate money hungry f**k. They would rather skim over your problems and not fix them, especially if it is warratny work. Would'nt want them digging into their own pockets, my god!

Shugg

Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Shugg wrote:
I'm hearing you dude.

Dont get me wrong, I love my fords, but Ford Dealerships are just corporate money hungry f**k. They would rather skim over your problems and not fix them, especially if it is warratny work. Would'nt want them digging into their own pockets, my god!

Shugg

Agreed. A business built entirely on the concept of "minimum labour charge". I'm sure there's some decent mechs out there in ford dealership land.... but more the exception to the rule.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
Shugg wrote:

Yeah im pretty sure they'd just be a standard rotor.

Shuddering: more than likely a warped rotor. Very difficult to identify by the eye. Dont think a machning costs a great deal, and replacing the rotor wouldnt cost much more than a skim would.

Scraping: how are the pads? Re: handbrake, it may just need adjusting. But you also get a lot of s**t building up between the shoe and the inside of the rear rotor.

If you want to be told "dunno what's srong mate" then take it to a ford dealership. Otherwise, any mechanic that's done more than 2 years of their apprenticeship should be able to diagnose/fix brake-related problems. i.e. dont take it to a ford dealership, most of em are f**k useless!

All too true!
My FBT had a scraping noise after i got my brakes done and turned out to be the brackets which hold the handbrake shoes center at all times - they were dead allowing the handbrake shoes to go all over the place n rub against the hub/rotor - noticeable at slow speeds and cornering mostly.
Cost nothing to have rectified with new brackets :wink:

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:53 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: '97 EL GLi Falcon

VIC, Australia

Hi guys,

Thanks for the reply there, this also solves my problem! :D I've been having the steering wheel shudder under braking for a bit now (flat/hills/corners)...

This has certainly helped me to decide on replacing them with DBA slotted rotors now!

I mean, the mechanic did say they're at 21.5mm...! :shock: We'll see how long that .5mm lasts... :lol:

Any recommended pads for use with the DBA's? Just day to day driving, just need a little more stop than I'm getting now...
(anything would be a benefit I suppose! :roll: )

Thanks again,
Wolfpac

Hot Chilli Red EL, Doof, Vrooom and Sittin' Low, the way it should be!

Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

wolfpac_w wrote:
Hi guys,

Thanks for the reply there, this also solves my problem! :D I've been having the steering wheel shudder under braking for a bit now (flat/hills/corners)...

This has certainly helped me to decide on replacing them with DBA slotted rotors now!

I mean, the mechanic did say they're at 21.5mm...! :shock: We'll see how long that .5mm lasts... :lol:

Any recommended pads for use with the DBA's? Just day to day driving, just need a little more stop than I'm getting now...
(anything would be a benefit I suppose! :roll: )

Thanks again,
Wolfpac

Get some EBC "GreenStuff" pads for them - thats what they are called, can be picked up for bout 105 bucks for the front brakes and 100 for the rear brakes..
Very good setup ebc greenstuff with slotted rotors - the bite on em is awesome.

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:00 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: '97 EL GLi Falcon

VIC, Australia

Ok then, thanks for that Daniel! :D

Wolfpac_w

Hot Chilli Red EL, Doof, Vrooom and Sittin' Low, the way it should be!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]