Fordmods Logo

BTR 4 speed auto TRANSMISSION CONTROLLER 

Page 15 of 16 [ 230 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Post subject: Re: BTR 4 speed auto TRANSMISSION CONTROLLER
Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford EF - Garret TO4Z

TAS, Australia

hey misk can you pm me a copy of your program in code form, just trying to get up with codeing

Crank Assembly balanced, HV oil pump, ACL Trimetal bearings, "1 extra oil clearance taking to around 0.0650-0.0700 on mains and big ends, Moly rings,, Xr6 Cam, POD ( Possibly oversize injectors), Block, Head, Timing cover, belt idler, Alternator,painted in ford light blue

Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

sorry man, i'd rather not, while its not an overly complex program it has taken alot of work to get to where it is.
my code is done in a compiler, so unless you get the same software as me the code will just look epic.

try to find a good compiler to use as it will help reduce the raw code being done, but its still a good idea to learn how to do it in raw code first, otherwise even using the compiler will be a bit confusing.

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:18 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Just browsing the net and found this which may be of use

http://eetheworld.com/transmissioncontroller

Trans Controller
.I may be a bit biased, but this could easily be the most interesting wreck racing project that's made its way on to the Miata. In brief, the transmission controller is designed to give the driver total control over shifting gears while still using the stock Lexus A340 transmission.

Purpose: The Lexus 1UZ-FE V8 engine, found in such cars as early 90's model Lexus SC400, LS400, and 4runner came stock with an automatic transmission. While this transmission serves the driver's needs for day-to-day driving, we at Wreck Racing like to push the extreme. On a strict $2000 budget there was no feasible way to swap a manual transmission onto this engine. In fact, a custom bellhousing alone would have put the car over budget. This sub-$30 solution - yeah, you read that right, the whole solution costs less than $30 - replaces the need for a manual transmission while freeing up much needed room in the budget

Design: The transmission controller makes use of a MicroChip PIC18F4321 microcontroller as the primary processor. Inside the microcontroller, a custom program handles all inputs and outputs of the system, while also providing failsafes for the driver. Using a microcontroller cuts down on cost while also allowing the device to be fully programmable. Really, the sky is the limit with this board and new ideas are being implemented with each successive competition year.

The A340 transmission uses two shift solenoids to control fluid routing within the transmission. The microcontroller controls a transistor network for each solenoid which in turn shifts the car

Inputs to the system, as seen in the following picture, are two steering wheel mounted paddle shifters (like seen in Ferrari's and Lamborghini's).

Features:

Provides manual control of any solenoid-controlled automatic transmission
Controls torque-converter lockup to achieve no power loss between engine and transmission
Provides fault protection on event of shift solenoid failure
Real-time communication link between transmission sensors and MegaSquirt engine management for RPM and speed sensing
Real-time UART communication link for datalogging and control of the device
Expandability of design through code and circuit upgrades
Automatic drag race mode
-Takes control of shifting from the driver, which decreases time loss due to user error
-Pre-Programmed shift points allow maximum torque transfer between gear shifts
-Allows repeatability of drag strip run times

Turbo 6s rule

Posted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

nice, thats basically what i'm trying to achieve but in a much simpler setup, that board and the program look alot more technical.

that board would still have issues with controlling all the solenoids on a BTR, but for people who dont care if the shifts are firm, i know axeman has been running his box in a way that goes against what everyone is saying in terms of needing to control S3-S6 solenoids and he is pushing 350rwkw through it.

XG Panelvan

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:17 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EL turbo 6

VIC, Australia

turbotrana,

I make the servo to prevent problems in numerous areas, breaking the band is one of them. It is designed for use primarilly when using just S1 + S2 for gear shifting. It must be used with our custom valvebody and will not work with a standard valvebody. Using these parts makes the transmission as 'hydraulically sound' as possible. I have never burnt a band or C1 clutch with these parts in any of the vehicles using them.

Please call me at work 035221833 if you require more info.

Kind regards

Aaron

Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:37 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EL turbo 6

VIC, Australia

Here are some pics of my car. This is the one that uses Motec to control the BTR with transbrake. I can help anyone set it up if you are wanting to race or high performance street setups.

Attachments:
File comment: 9.80 @ 144
BTW, these wheels are for sale if anyone is keen.

18072009095.JPG
18072009095.JPG [ 55.9 KiB | Viewed 410 times ]
File comment: Engine before last rebuild
14122008024.JPG
14122008024.JPG [ 87.43 KiB | Viewed 393 times ]

Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

well i had a look at how the cruise control unit and buttons worked today...
all 4 buttons are fed back to the cruise ECU through one wire, so there must be some analogue to digital conversions and what not happening.
i couldn't really see much of a pattern with the voltages that were being produced so i ghettoed up the steering wheel a bit.

there are 3 rails mounted on the steering wheel for 3 signals...
one is .33v, one is 12v+ and one is ground, all 3 are used for horn and the cruise buttons, but i dont have the cruise unit in the engine bay and dont have a horn either lol, so i dont really care.
i'll feed +5v on one of the rails from the PIC unit and use the other 2 for input signals.
when either of the outer buttons is pressed it will break the circuit (or complete it, can't remember exactly how they were setup) and trigger up or down shift.

will make the circuit a bit easier to make up, and could do other options like mounting paddles behind the steering wheel or buttons on an anftermarket wheel or something still using the 5v signal from the PIC circuit.
i've got the rest of the circuit designed so now im 100% ready to make the first unit, i configured it to run P-mosfet transistors for the solenoid outputs so will be very fast stable switching.
i should have enough cash next week to get the parts together and will go from there.

XG Panelvan

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

cant do programming to save myself, so im just going to do it the logic gate way :D, its going to bve annoying but hell

ill post up a pic in the next hour or so of the gear selector

Crank Assembly balanced, HV oil pump, ACL Trimetal bearings, "1 extra oil clearance taking to around 0.0650-0.0700 on mains and big ends, Moly rings,, Xr6 Cam, POD ( Possibly oversize injectors), Block, Head, Timing cover, belt idler, Alternator,painted in ford light blue

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

sorry but thats why i don't want to post my code publicly :D
if you find a code compiler it will make it a hundred times easier.

when i did the raw code it was about 1/8th as long as the raw code that built in the compiler.
the code written in the compiler is about the same size as the raw code i had started with, but works much better.

it still takes quite of bit of work getting s**t right, but its a good thing to learn.

how do you plan on using the logic gates?

XG Panelvan

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

ok so looked at it transister wise side and well ,yesh anyway, pic dev board set up, found a 16F84A in some old circuit boards ive got around, read and erased it , about to upload just a led on/off program then i will hopefulley be able to see how that works and work my way from there code wise ><

:D how far is yours away misk?

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

all good, circuit is designed, program is ready to go, just dont have the money for it :(
i'm not working at the moment so cant even spare $50 odd to get it going.
but hopefully get it going soon.

once you get the idea about the coding you will be sweet ;)

XG Panelvan

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

ok so yesterday i loaded a simple led on/off program , basically switches bank a and b on and off, so i rigged up the circuit on a breadboard and well, i had some trouble getting the oscillator to work to get the chip to turn over, ended up spitting it and going to bed, today i was thinking , all i need is a 4Mhz input frequency, so i looked up what sound cards can output , max 15000Hz, so oh well put that to the test hooked the sound cards output to the clk input, turned the 5v+ to the circuit and well the light comes on, wow,,,,,,, went to make a coffie thinking ffs im getting so annoyed with this, came back and the led was off,,,,, watched it for a sec and it turned back on after a about 20 seconds realized because im putting in such a low frequency its running the chip really slow D:

HORA!

misk if you want if you want you could allways send a pic , i program it with your program then send it back to you , that way you dont have to dish out dollars for a programmer, mind you i cant program avr without a special adapter

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

its ok, the programmer is only $15 with a 16F48a, so not such a big outlay, but at the moment every dollar counts towards bills and rent lol.

most, if not all PIC units will have an internal oscillator option, makes it alot easier.
it's best to try and have a high frequency so the program is responsive.
you can also program what speed you want the internal osc to be.

are you doing it all in raw code, or are you using a compiler?

XG Panelvan

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

just copyed somebody's example program so i can set up and iron out problems with proghramming, running

my chips the 16f84a this one does not have an internal oscillater

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ahh, right you are, glad i found that out now lol.

XG Panelvan

Sort by  
 Page 15 of 16  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next