Fordmods Logo

BTR 4 speed auto TRANSMISSION CONTROLLER 

Page 4 of 16 [ 230 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

justfordima wrote:
I can do the programming in windows for the interface (hopefully not by myself though). The ATMEGA chip is looking good.
A good point on the MOSFET, we would need some of the solenoids parameters, to determine what type of MOSFETs we'd be needing, and also a MOSFET driver.

Cheers

hi

have a valve body on the bench already what do u want to know about the solenoids ??

cheers

WANTED - Complete BTr4 and zf 6hp26 automatic transmission 6 cylinder and V8 transmission(s) suit rebuild? Drop me a PM if you can help would be greatly appreciated - thanks

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:32 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

Well, what are some of the parameters required for determining the MOSFET needed? Current draw, voltage required for opening, and some other technical data... Basically we need the parameters of the MOSFETs that ford used in their TCM, and get something similar.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

Measure the resistance across the solenoid terminals. All of them including S5. I am very certain that they would all run on 12V. This will give us the current draw so the Mosfets can be sized.

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:16 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

justfordima wrote:
Im pretty sure the J3 connector was just an interpreter.. meaning it manipulates the input to get a different out (more or less)? If so, thats not really programming the TCM, just manipulating it, meaning there's only so far you can go.

Cheers

J3 (on an EEC at least) actually allows you to completly reprogram the EEC. In other words it 'replaces' the onboard ROM chip virtually. The memory spaces of both the onboard chip adn teh J3 port overlap, with the J3 taking precedence.

I've got the gear to do J3 chips. Just not the knowledge - and it's slow going.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:54 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Thats interesting... So the J3 port actually allows new data, not just manipulating the old. Well in that case, one on the TCM would be quite useful.

Do you know what ford used them for in the first place? Or was it a universal expansion capability feature?

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:58 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

I don't think Ford used them at all. (ie. in a stock ECU, the pins are covered with goo, so wouldn't be useable).

The ECU editing people (think Tweecer et al) have the hardware (and inportantly the software) to do live tuning/monitoring 'in car'.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

As others have said, im fairly sure the 3.9's used a seperate trans controller. Would it be easier to have something that manipulated the data transmitting between the TCM and the ECU and modify the signals to get the trans to do what you wish?

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:19 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

easier yes, but thats not what is trying to be achieved here... you are still limited by the flexibility of the stock TCM. So while you amy be able to program the shift firmness, and perhaps shifting points, the rest is left up to the stock TCM.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

hi
will measure the resistance monday manually of all the solenoids
will also source information on what the resistances are when the solenoids are new
Factory limits
i would also assume they run of battery voltages 12 volts checking with my electrajet software brb

the J3 port i am lead to believe is a service port that ford australia has the ability to download and edit the EEC4 and EEC5 ECU
have a fair bit of information and some intereting site also have EECtuner which doesnt support or little of the australian cars tweecer is similar to EECtuner seems u guys are interested also in the Engine side of things also

cheers

ps : andrew_ yes ur are right its easy to foul the TCM with resistors and knobs but imagine if you could control the transmission via software and it does what u want it to do
also imagine all the people with earlier model falcons running on carburetors the potential to have a overdrive transmission in there car that could handle more grunt

just a few input sensor signals and of u go .

Im a lazy sod that's why i prefer autos had manuals in my early years and still have a few manual cars now.
The BA falcon shifter i see them at swap meets heaps of them floating around all the switches are in them at ur finger tips u have a full manual valve body to control a auto actually a full electronic valve body at ur finger tips
cheers

WANTED - Complete BTr4 and zf 6hp26 automatic transmission 6 cylinder and V8 transmission(s) suit rebuild? Drop me a PM if you can help would be greatly appreciated - thanks

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

hi

sorry guys about the posting of resistances of the solenoids inside the BTR tranny have been bissy and other matters to attend will do it early this week

cheers

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Would the TCM for a V8 be of any assistance, I am guessing it would do the same things as the 6 TCm, but it isn't integrated into the ECU. This may be a good starting point for modification as what works on the stand alone will be easier to manipluate than digging through the ECU as well if you catch my drift
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

TerroristGHIA wrote:
Would the TCM for a V8 be of any assistance, I am guessing it would do the same things as the 6 TCm, but it isn't integrated into the ECU. This may be a good starting point for modification as what works on the stand alone will be easier to manipluate than digging through the ECU as well if you catch my drift
Brett

YES , would be ok the V8 stand alone

cheers

Post subject: SOLENOID OPERATIONS
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

SOLENOID OPERATIONS -

Here day by day i will fill in a few details on the seven solenoids in the 4 speed auto BTR

solenoid operations - six ( 6 ) of the seven ( 7 ) solenoids are ON/OFF solenoids with the seventh being a variable pressure solenoid

------------------------------------------------------

Solenoid - S! and S2

these are normally open solenoids these two solenoids control which gear the transmission is in

Solenoid - S3 and S4

these are normally open solenoids , these two solenoids are used to control the speed and quality of the shift, they are only turned on before the shift starts and then off , with the time on varying in relation to vehicle demands and circumstances

NOTE- that in some situations with no laod these solenoids will sometimes not be activiated ( eg vehicle jacked up and car driven on jac stands with no wheel loads

Solenoid - S5

This solenoid operates on a duty cycle which controls S5 oil pressure which in turn has a affect on the shift quality. It operates in the same manner as a ISC operates to control the air bypass of the throttle body.

Solenoid - S6

This solenoid is normally closed it is switched on ( 12 volts ) to dump pressure on the line pressure boost valve which , in turn gives low line pressure for light throttle applications.This vavle is normally off ( 0 volts ) for heavy throttle applications

Solenoid - S7

This solenoid is normally closed and is switched on ( 12 Volts ) to apply the torque convertor at speeds above 80kph dependent on the throttle position.The exact speed of the when the TCC comes on is dependant also on what series ECU is installed in the car

will continue with more info and technical data also

SORRY ABOUT THE POOR RESULUTION ON THE PIC WILL UPDATE AS SOON AS I HAVE MY CAMERA BACK

Attachments:
Image(716)x.JPG
Image(716)x.JPG [ 23.39 KiB | Viewed 418 times ]

Last edited by FPV_GTp on Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

This info is of the back of the TCU and it come out of a EA falcon 3.9lt /Btr 4 speed auto

this is what should be dismantled and reverse engineered and made programmable all the electronics is in it so how does the BTR or ford technicians program this microprocessor who's keen on deciphering the codes to the heart of ford 4 speed autos

some how wire up a PC(laptop) cable and make it programmable mmmmmmmmmmm sounds easy

BTR 4 speed automatic transmission controller ( Borg/Warner Australia )

BTR Eng Electronic transmission Controller
BTR PART No 0585-640038
BOSCH PART No 9 260 060 033
FORD PART No 90DA-7E453-BB
( MADE IN AUSTRALIA )

THIS IS ALL THE INFO OF THE BACK OF THE UNIT

WILL HAVE ALL THE PIN OUT INFO TONIGHT

CHEERS

Attachments:
File comment: BTR 4 SPEED AUTOMATIC TCU CONTROLLER OUT OF EA FALCON
Image(729)X.JPG
Image(729)X.JPG [ 31.49 KiB | Viewed 405 times ]

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:11 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Youd need the hardware used inside, to know the physical layout of the TCM. As in what processor was used, where the memory is stored, how...etc.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 16  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next