Fordmods Logo

BTR 4 speed auto TRANSMISSION CONTROLLER 

Page 1 of 16 [ 230 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next

Post subject: BTR 4 speed auto TRANSMISSION CONTROLLER
Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

HI

Is there a BTR 4 speed auto TRANSMISSION CONTROLLER ???

ie a programmable microprocessors that can be programmed to control any of the late model electronic transmissions

TCI transmissions in the states do one but all orinated around Gm transmssions very little info on the ford stuff that we have in Australian

feel free to post anything in here

cheers

WANTED - Complete BTr4 and zf 6hp26 automatic transmission 6 cylinder and V8 transmission(s) suit rebuild? Drop me a PM if you can help would be greatly appreciated - thanks

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

No that I know of. However companies like Chiptorque can adjust some transmission parameters with thier chips.

I think the BA flashtuner can also adjust firmness and shift points.

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Spork wrote:
No that I know of. However companies like Chiptorque can adjust some transmission parameters with thier chips.

I think the BA flashtuner can also adjust firmness and shift points.

hi

ok tanks for that but im more interested in other early models like EA onwards to even a BA BTR 4 speed put into another car all togther

so need some way of controlling the transmission with electronics like

http://www.compushift.com/compushift.htm

http://www.tciauto.com/ford/ford_aod.htm

http://www.tciauto.com/electronics/

the TCU systems for Ford AODE

that way i have full control over the transmission rather some patterns that chiptorque just guess

cheers

WANTED - Complete BTr4 and zf 6hp26 automatic transmission 6 cylinder and V8 transmission(s) suit rebuild? Drop me a PM if you can help would be greatly appreciated - thanks

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Excellent question.

I have often marvelled at the aftermarket TCMs available for the AODE.

Fueltronics, from what i have heard, used to sell a replacement TCM for the auto transmission which allowed the use of buttons/paddles to shift gears. This was years ago and IIRC they were about $1000.

There is a bloke, hangs out more on AFF than here these days, (EA2BA on AFF, think it may be delboy on here??). He was one of the pioneers in fitting a BA sports shifter to an E series falcon.

But the relevant part of this - was that he knows a guy who built and programmed a transmission computer to replace the TCM and allow the sequential shifter to control the BTR.

Or i guess you could study the electronics of the BTR box, compare this to the AODE and see if an AODE unit could be adapted to control a BTR??

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

With the V8 running a separate TCM, there would be a chance that one of the AODE units might work, but with the 6 having control by the ECU, this may be a big stumbling block. Just my 2 cents
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

TerroristGHIA wrote:
With the V* Brunning a separate TCM, there would be a chance that one of the AODE units might work, but with the 6 having control by the ECU, this may be a big stumbling block. Just my 2 cents
Brett

ok V8's run a independant TCM as compair to the 6 cylinder

i want to run the BRT 4 speed independant of any other PCM which is just a case of disablying the PCM from controlling the BTR 4 spd think it is in some manner of speaking

this way one can use the BTR 4 speed for some hi performnces uses

cheers

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:45 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: XG ute

WA, Australia

I have heard of a module for Toyota supra's that connects to the output wires of the gearbox allowing manual operation and lets the user run a decent ECU for the engine. The supras have the same problem as the Falcons - the STD ECU has to stay to run the gears in the Auto Box's, that was until this unit became availible. I take it you want to do something similar?

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

out_in_front wrote:
I have heard of a module for Toyota supra's that connects to the output wires of the gearbox allowing manual operation and lets the user run a decent ECU for the engine. The supras have the same problem as the Falcons - the STD ECU has to stay to run the gears in the Auto Box's, that was until this unit became availible. I take it you want to do something similar?

can u find the info for this tranny controller and possably th link to a site

would be great

cheers

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:13 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 87 XF Ghia

WA, Australia

Toyota boxes are much simpler to control than the BTR, you can shift them with just a box of switches. They don't have any control over the bands, clutches, or line pressure (electronically) and the solenoids are all that needs to be switched to change gears.

The BTR's on the other hand use six solenoids. They are a bit more complex to control. The solenoids control the clutch regulator valve (1), band regulator valve (1), shift pressure (1 variable), static gear position (2), lockup clutch (1). Also you need to monitor trans temp, output shaft speed, engine speed, gear selection, S5 solenoid current, TPS, etc etc.

I am hoping to start working on a control box this year, but I am not looking forward to it. Controlling the solenoids is easy, but building some intelligence into the code so that it shifts like a box should (or like a human would want) will be bloody difficult.

You can't just use a TCM from a V8 because the EECV talks to it via a serial link.

Mike

Last edited by mikejh on Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:22 am 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

Here is a document on the Toyota auto trans for those interested.

Should only need a 4 position rotary switch, which is what the Toyota test box is.
But its much simpler than the BTR. :roll:

Attachments:
electronic controlled transmission.pdf [573.15 KiB]
Downloaded 981 times

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

I'm fairly sure the early 4 speed boxes like in EA's had a separate auto computer. I've got a few friends that work at ION, I'll have a chat to them, I know they still send a lot of boxes out with dedicated auto computers, would be interested to see if these could be modified to suit..

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:52 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

mikejh - what are you using to build this TCM? hardware wise, and then software wise... Just thinking, something like the Freescale S12 microcontroller would be awesome. This allows you to use C, which will make "shifting the box like a human" a bit easier (hence you're writing in human :-))

Just a thought.
Let us know how it goes, and where you get with it, Id be interested in getting involved.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

LOL

mmmmmmm seems some people interested in TCM.

Would be a idea to start some form of a transmission controller that can work alone or side by side with aftermarket ECU or factory ECU.

I have seen all the crude methods people have been using to make different shift patterns on the BTR 4spd and increase line pressures.

Imagine the capability to tune the transmission via a laptop.

Seems two guy here have put there hand up for the task anyone out there that has programming experience and anyone a electronics engineer.

This could be the birth of MegaSquirtTrannyController ( MSTCC ).

I could offer some assistance but my electronics back ground is zero once we enter inside the box and programming is zero also but a very quick learner.

Have a workshop full of goods which i can donate time and equipment for experimenting and have heaps of transmissions also.

Looking inside the BTR 4 speed i believe it could handle more power than what they do at the moment if the right internals parts could be sourced or made from better materials.

The clutchs and hub sizes are at least 20% larger than a C10 transmission the band is also larger in surface area.

Would be nice to tackle such a project since there is nothing out there on the market for BTR 4 speeds but rather than just tying it up to one transmission type it would be better to make a unit that could control other transmissions ( greater market place ).

If someone has a good electronics background i would suggest opening up the ford stand alone transmsiions Controller and see if one can hack into that just to see all the drivers and so on and see if the chips has any useful information stored on it ( ie a program set of instructions ) which im very sure it does have.

could be a interesting project for a UNI student ?????? any takers

anyone interested ???????

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:48 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

hmm.. might be an idea, but knowing ford its all god security bits and it'll be a big pain in the a**. But if I had one of those, I could try I guess.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:57 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

justfordima - I would be using an Atmel AVR as I have done a lot of work with them in assembly. C is great if you like using up alot of your flash memory, but its been a while since I have used it, maybe its gotten better.

The Freescale processor is awesome but I don't think the trans controller will need such a powerfull processor. The AVR is a RISC processor and runs at 16MIPS so it should be up to the task.

If the bands and clutches are larger, what are the other internal parts that would require sourcing.

A lot of the wear in the clutches is due to their slow and sloppy shifting.
If you used a higher shift pressure then they wont suffer as much punishment.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 16  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next