Car too low 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Car too low
Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:04 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

I'm getting sick of the superlows in the back of the mont and I think it's about time I raise it a little. It's causing vibrations and noises at speed, scraping, tailshaft hitting the floor etc.

I'm going to keep the superlows in the front though because I'm happy with the height there. The front is about 15mm higher than the back anyway.

I'm wondering if I should get lows, or install spacers that sit in the lower spring seat. I know you can get +10mm ones and I think this would be about the ideal height for me.

My questions are, has anyone used the spacers before - any problems?
Also, if I got lows instead, would that leave the back looking ridiculously high compared to the front?

Cheers,
Dave.

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

they make spacers what do they look like? hmmm i am going on google :)

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: F350

QLD, Australia

Yes they do make them, just a large nolathane version of your rubber spring isolator.
They work well, have used them for weight jacking in the past.

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

I have lows, doesnt look s**t, looks uumm well low, but not fully sik low bro, lol. I scrape enough as it is, wonder how many ppl like yourself have problems, but wont fix it, cause it looks hektic uleh.

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

only problem i've got is if i'm not carful i scrape on driveways and speed bumps, everything else is sweet....and i've got ultralows in the a***

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:47 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Wouldn't that look a bit uneven Mitch? My superlows all round have the a*** end way lower than the front, can't imagine what ultralows would be like.
Of course, the heavy-a** boot install doesn't help things - in fact I think that's when all my problems started lol.

EF Fairmont now Sold!

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

your sub setup looks alot like mine though....so they would weight about the same.....
and my car doesnt look too uneven, the rear is slightly lower tho ;) more pics in gallery... but here's one when i was in coolengatta with the boot loaded up.

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:11 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Hrmmm, yeah looks very similar height to mine.
I used 25mm MDF for the sub box which is heavy as s**t, in hindsight would have used 18mm.

So how come you don't have any problems? Do you do much highway driving or on rough roads?

Because I get this weird knocking sound from the back of the car when decelerating at around 90+km/h. I got my car checked out at a diff and suspension joint and he said all the bushes, uni's, diff etc was all perfect, just that the car was too low lol.

EF Fairmont now Sold!

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:45 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Falcon EF

SA, Australia

ive got superlow kings f+r in ef and a lpg tank, that dropped it about 20mm more, ive been compemplating the superpro 10mm spacers, to at least if you dont like it its only $20 ish as opposed to $100 ish for springs,the sport low rear springs probably would work better though for ride quality but havent tried it, i like the height it sits at though just had to fit me shorter shocks and she rode alot smoother,with that clunk noise are you sure its not the upper or lower trailing arm bushes ???

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:08 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Suspension shop reckons it aint, but who knows! It's worth trying the spacers first anyway I guess.

EF Fairmont now Sold!

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

i drive mainly to work and back which is on like a semi-highway thing, into the city everyday, and the roads in the city are a little rough, but as i said, only problems i encounter are speed bumps and driveways. you do notice the ride is a touch rougher than the stocko suspension, but that is to be expected with the firmer shocks/spring combo.
When i'm on the highway when i go to the gold coast its a nice ride, drove all the way to Coolengatta and back (my mate drove there, i drove back) and even as a passenger it was comfortable, only complaints were from my mate who hates subs :P
I'm not 100% sure what my sub box is made of, but i believe i asked for 25mm, and i've got the huge a** 15" in that, with 2 amps mounted on the back, plus wat ever other s**t i throw in there.

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EAII Falcon S

QLD, Australia

cool! i didnt know about the spacers, i was about to get another set of lowered springs fitted tuesday cos i have the king superlows.
since i got 4 new tires (pirelli) fitted last week ive had problems with tires scrubbing on tight turns speedbumps\driveways .
i was told me there is only about an inch travel in the front and its basicly riding on the bumpstops. :roll:

edit: i found out today spacers are for the back only, so i still need new springs. :?

Speed Safely! ;-)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]