Car Wont Crank in Park 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Car Wont Crank in Park
Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: TE50

QLD, Australia

hey, as topic says my auto 95 falcon futura, 4.0L wont crank in park. move it into neutral and it will start every time

i know there is a switch/sender thing that tells the computer its in park, does this sound like the problem? easy to fix myself?

when i go to crank it in park the check engine light ( looks like this ( ! ) ) comes on and the guages go back to 0 (fuel/temp etc)

thanks

Formerly SpuDEF

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

yea i'd be saying that the switch is the problem..piere (fuzion) knows how to fix it

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EBII 220kw Tickford powered.

ACT, Australia

Park neutral switch could be stuffed,

Or

if you have done any adjustments or changes to the shifter, or changed you box the shifter may need to be re-adjusted.

The car should be called "Frankenstien". EBII GLi skeleton, AU T2 220kw heart, AU2 brain, EF/EL for everything else.

"Bitza" Member 28 on FORDMODS v1.0 Joined 28-04-2002
"TS50EB" Member 300 on FORDMODS v1.1 Rejoined 6-11-2004

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

i have put a new shifter handle on it, but that was over 12months ago. this only just started about 3 days ago.

Formerly SpuDEF

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EBII 220kw Tickford powered.

ACT, Australia

Sounds like that park neutral switch has failed then.

Your local wrecker should have one, not sure how much it'll cost, but any E-series 4sp auto switch should fit nicey.

The car should be called "Frankenstien". EBII GLi skeleton, AU T2 220kw heart, AU2 brain, EF/EL for everything else.

"Bitza" Member 28 on FORDMODS v1.0 Joined 28-04-2002
"TS50EB" Member 300 on FORDMODS v1.1 Rejoined 6-11-2004

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

nice thanks. any idea how easy it is to fit? is it a superficial type repair? like remove the shifter surround only?

Formerly SpuDEF

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

ok so ive found the sensor and where it attaches to the car on the gearbox housing

is it as easy as it looks to replace? or is some hot transmission fluid going to burn my arm off if i try it? isnt it only an electrnic sensor?

and advice would be appreciated
thanks

Attachments:
File comment: select sensor
12_3.jpg
12_3.jpg [ 100.64 KiB | Viewed 213 times ]

Formerly SpuDEF

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: The DEVEL XR6

WA, Australia

SpuDEF wrote:
ok so ive found the sensor and where it attaches to the car on the gearbox housing

is it as easy as it looks to replace? or is some hot transmission fluid going to burn my arm off if i try it? isnt it only an electrnic sensor?

and advice would be appreciated
thanks

I had exactly the same problem as you, and a new Neutral Safety Switch fixed it dead.

Should be a piece of piss, matter of mounting it & plugging it in.

Had mine replaced just recently, although the mechanic said something about being careful to correctly re-attach the 3 pin plug, as one pin is for the speedo, which then dictates your gear change.

Don't hold me to this, all I know is that I had to take my car back after I had mine fitted, because my speedo wasn't working, and I couldn't get into 2nd gear ...not good when you go to pull into traffic with a 4-tonne Mack truck bearing down on your a**!

Anyway, the mechanic chucked the car on a hoist, fiddled around with this 3-pin plug, and all was sweet...

Hot Chilli Red EL XR6, 5-spd, JMM DEV 5 enhanced (161 rwkw custom tuned), Eliminator Switch Chip, 18" BA GTP rims, Pedders Superlows, BA XR6 badges, BA Sunroof, Pioneer Stereo, Splits, 6x9's, 10" sub, 700W 6-ch Viper amp.
QUARTER MILE PB: currently 14.590 @ 96.00 mph ...BOOST AHEAD!!

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

thanks for the advice, i fiddled around with it a bit and found that connector. i spose not much u can do wrong, as u said, bit of a fiddle and itll prolly be fixed

bloody electronic devices...so fiddly!

Formerly SpuDEF

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Oettinger Golf GTI

NSW, Australia

Grab a new Inhibitor Switch and its 2x 8mm bolts on the passenger side of your gear box.

Undo the plugs connected to it, undo the bolts, put the new one on and reconnect it and wala its fixed.

Theres no change in speedo, or change in steering, or changing in tyre pressure or change in your coles dollar saver vouchers so ignore any rubbish you hear.

Common for the inhibitor switches to screw up, alternatively you can take yours off, unclip it all and clean it out, give it a light sand on the contact with 800 sand paper and reapply electronic grease spray into it, clip it back together and put it back on.

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: The DEVEL XR6

WA, Australia

fuzion wrote:
Grab a new Inhibitor Switch and its 2x 8mm bolts on the passenger side of your gear box.

Undo the plugs connected to it, undo the bolts, put the new one on and reconnect it and wala its fixed.

Theres no change in speedo, or change in steering, or changing in tyre pressure or change in your coles dollar saver vouchers so ignore any rubbish you hear.

Common for the inhibitor switches to screw up, alternatively you can take yours off, unclip it all and clean it out, give it a light sand on the contact with 800 sand paper and reapply electronic grease spray into it, clip it back together and put it back on.

You heard the man!

I wasn't trying to spin him any s**t ...I think my mechanic may have unplugged something whilst diagnosing my NSS problem...

Hot Chilli Red EL XR6, 5-spd, JMM DEV 5 enhanced (161 rwkw custom tuned), Eliminator Switch Chip, 18" BA GTP rims, Pedders Superlows, BA XR6 badges, BA Sunroof, Pioneer Stereo, Splits, 6x9's, 10" sub, 700W 6-ch Viper amp.
QUARTER MILE PB: currently 14.590 @ 96.00 mph ...BOOST AHEAD!!

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

ok, went to ford and bought a replacement part, easy to fit and fixed my problem

heres a pic of the old part...looks like a lot of moisture and dirt and mud got past the seal and has buggered it up, and this was after i cleaned it up a bit, no wonder it didnt work

Attachments:
Picture 11.jpg
Picture 11.jpg [ 132.11 KiB | Viewed 185 times ]

Formerly SpuDEF

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]