Fordmods Logo

Carbon Fibre Driveshaft 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Carbon Fibre Driveshaft
Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Power: 327 rwkw

WA, Australia

In all my half drunken wisdom I have just come up with carbon fibre drivshafts, I was wondering if anyone knows who makes such an item, how much does one cost, what if any are the benefits of one ie; in the same manner as a lightned flywheel?, and would it be worth it all getting one? It would look great on a specs sheet and I'm sure there would be some sort of performance gain???

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EBII

NSW, Australia

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopi ... 20limiters

Might hold that off from happening :P

Back in an E series!

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

none of those pics worked but i get the idea, haha. dont want to remove the speed limiter, just wanna improve how fast i get there =)

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Have a chat to a speed shop ay, tell them what you want to do with it, and they should be able to make a solution/palm you off to a tailshaft mob.

Back in an E series!

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

roger, i found em. cheers mr knight

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Woo, whats the find? Might have a few members keen to hear about this :P

Back in an E series!

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

ha, sorry, i mean i found speed shop website/email addy, have just sent one off. i will let everyone know the results =)

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:11 am 
Stock as a Rock

TAS, Australia

There are people who do make carbon fibre driveshafts.
I think that the ones in the UK who do WRX tailshafts cost about $2500 or so.

I hate Hyundais.

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:45 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 26 images

Ride: 2003 BA XR6 TURBO!!!!!

VIC, Australia

yeah, carbon fibre is theoretically stronger lighter and stiffer.
if that was the case, one would assume you would get better accelleration (fractionally) but the most interesting gain would be to reduce all vibration through the tailshaft, and therefore increasing possible top speed (depending on your cars other limitations)

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Some of the E series GT's had Carbon Fibre wrapped drive shafts fitted. Basically its a standard 3.25 inch alloy driveshaft with a carbon fibre sleeve to make the shaft more rigid at high speeds. You can order them through Ford as a P&A Driveshaft (Parts & Accessories) They are only really needed if you are driving at high speeds but not for drag racing. In other words they were made for the E series GT's sold to the Northern Territory where there WERE open speed limits. Oh i forgot to mention that alot of people here give advice on driveshafts and not really knowing what they are talking about but on what they have heard! so please if you dont actually know dont giva advice. One thing in this thread is if there was a full carbon fibre driveshaft available how are the yokes or CVJ's attached to the tube???? hence the advice i just gave in my post.

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

joolz wrote:
Some of the E series GT's had Carbon Fibre wrapped drive shafts fitted. Basically its a standard 3.25 inch alloy driveshaft with a carbon fibre sleeve to make the shaft more rigid at high speeds. You can order them through Ford as a P&A Driveshaft (Parts & Accessories) They are only really needed if you are driving at high speeds but not for drag racing. In other words they were made for the E series GT's sold to the Northern Territory where there WERE open speed limits. Oh i forgot to mention that alot of people here give advice on driveshafts and not really knowing what they are talking about but on what they have heard! so please if you dont actually know dont giva advice. One thing in this thread is if there was a full carbon fibre driveshaft available how are the yokes or CVJ's attached to the tube???? hence the advice i just gave in my post.

yeah you have a point there, i am still waiting for a reply. and me living in WA and not doing a hell of alot of top speed driving then no real need for it eh? thanks joolz

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

joolz wrote:

Know any mobs that make carbon fibre sleeves for the driveshafts?

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I know for certain that if you go through Ford that they can get the Original P&A shaft ordered for the E series GT's which some had the carbon fibre wrapped shaft. Give me some time and i can source the part number for you. Im not sure of the price though but its alot less than the $2500 quoted earlier. But seriously i would go for the 2 Piece Driveshaft option.

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Sedan driveshafts are SWB. LWB driveshaft is what I'm interested in.

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Fairlane is also a sedan but LWB. So if you are interested in LWB shafts i would go for a 2 piece driveshaft. Be it similar to the BA XR6T & V8 ute shafts. The very first of these shafts actually had an adapter on the rear CVJ to fit the E series type diff flange but later went to the CV type mating flange. Ive heard on here about Mal Wood that can make a custom shaft and required centre bearing brackets. I have never seen one of his set ups tho.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next