Fordmods Logo

Changing EA REAR PADS Advice 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Changing EA REAR PADS Advice
Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:23 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

hey..

Im changing my rear pads on an EA Falcon... Ive taken out the pads and when i try to g-clamp the piston and wind it in the thing wont move.. Can you use a g-clamp? and how do they normally go in..

Thanks

EF 96 5 speed, Wades Cam, Extractors, 2'5 Straight through exhaust, High flow injectors, Cold air intake, Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, 17's lowered on SSL King Springs...

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

VIC, Australia

the rear caliper on ea-ed are a screw type, not like the front where you just force them back with a g clamp. you'll either have to buy the special tool made by abw buts that like $35. i just use a pair of needle nose pliers. put the pointy end of the pliars in where the groove is on the piston and push and twist at the same time. it will go back just takes a bit f time

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:36 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

you can use a g clamp but you need to remove the hand brake cable arm from the rear of the caliper.
and then put a large socket over the shaft where the hand brake cable arm goes. the socket needs to be large enough so the shaft on the rear of the caliper can turn inside the socket. then you put the g clamp over the piston and the socket on the rear of the caliper and wind the g clamp up..

what happends is instead of the piston winding in, the rear handbrake cable shaft will turn instead..and the piston will go in..

once the piston is in put the pads in and fit the caliper back on the car and you just need to turn the handbrake cable shaft to the right position(it works like a ratchet) to fit the arm again.. :)

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:44 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

The guy who designed that caliper needs to be shot.
Today about 1/2 hr on the R/h side caliper to get it in and 5 min on the l/h side.

R/h side is anticlockwise and a bit harder to hold calipr and turn.

L/h side is clockwise and alot easier to get a grip.

Many moons ago I got a socket which fits the inside of the piston and welded a tab that meshes with the piston. The tab had to be shaped into a square.

Easier just to buy the tool, now that its avail. Wasnt in my day

Turbo 6s rule

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]