Fordmods Logo

Clutch won't work 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Clutch won't work
Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: ED XR6, AUII XR8

VIC, Australia

Just put an au engine in as well as a new clutch pressure plate (Exedy XR6 OE) . I haven't started the engine yet, but the clutch doesn't disengage and is extremely stiff. The First part of the travel is normal, but to continue pushing it to the floor it gets very stiff for the last half of the travel. It has an EL gearbox, ED flywheel and AU housing (with the ED fork from the old bellhousing). Are all these parts compatible? The only one i'm realy suspect of is the fork...Or i've just got me a dud pressure plate which seems more likely...Any other ideas?:S

ED XR6, LeMans Red, 5-Speed
AUII XR8, Silhouette, 5-Speed

Post subject: Re: Clutch won't work
Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Have you got it adjusted properly????

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:04 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Well it was adjusted properly (did remove cable when i changed engine). i managed to get the clutch to work just then by winding it right in, so now the pedal is about an inch out from the brake. A bit dodgy but at least i'l be able to drive the car...now the question is why does it have to stick out so damn far:P

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I had a fiddle with my clutch set-up, got rid of the spring that goes on the pedal, put a spring on the clutch fork, so that the throw-out bearing isn't in constant contact with the pressure plate.
I also made an adjustable spacer for the clutch pedal stop, so my pedal sits about a 3/4" to 1" above the brake pedal. So far it is working fine.

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:29 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

hrmmm ok, might be worth playing around. Just that seeing it's supposed to be a a standard XR6 clutch you'd think it would sit in the normal position, not high like it does. But judging by the stiffness it isn't a standard XR6 clutch, so that might be why. I'l give it a test run tonight when i get the car fired up.

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:35 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

it is strange about the pedal.. before when mine had a pbr clutch the pedal was about 20mm above the brake pedal.. then now im running a exedy hd and my pedal is about 15mm below the brake pedal. :?

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:48 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Mine's the opposite, I had a standard PBR clutch (gave me the wrong one), so they swapped it over for a exedy XR6 one, which is what i just put in. Before it had a small travel but now it has a lot:P. Weird.

Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:51 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: '97 EL Futura

VIC, Australia

cjh wrote:
I had a fiddle with my clutch set-up, got rid of the spring that goes on the pedal, put a spring on the clutch fork, so that the throw-out bearing isn't in constant contact with the pressure plate.
I also made an adjustable spacer for the clutch pedal stop, so my pedal sits about a 3/4" to 1" above the brake pedal. So far it is working fine.

Hey mate. just put a t5 in my EL. was thinking that it was a bit weird how the throwout bearing is in constant contact with the fingers of the pressure plate. what sort of spring did you install? if possible could you send me a picture? cheers

Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Bluefalcooooon wrote:
cjh wrote:

Hey mate. just put a t5 in my EL. was thinking that it was a bit weird how the throwout bearing is in constant contact with the fingers of the pressure plate. what sort of spring did you install? if possible could you send me a picture? cheers

I don't currently have a picture....sorry....but I think it was a parkbrake return spring from something.....I have a lot of springs that I have collected over the years.....I made a slotted hole in the plastic cover that goes over the clutch fork, at the rear and goes back to a heavy wire ( about 5mm diameter) hook, that goes on a lug (presumeably a machining datumn point) at the side of the g'box case.

Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

What motor is in the car, as the AU's have a slightly different setup, and an early clutch cable will cause the pedal to sit high and over exert the pressure plate when pressed to the floor

Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:37 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

just the original engine. am trying to keep everything near as 'factory' but will defs have a look into installing a spring. it doesnt make sense to me that only a few people have noticed this/ford havent done something about it.

Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:08 pm 

NSW, Australia

Bluefalcooooon wrote:
just the original engine. am trying to keep everything near as 'factory' but will defs have a look into installing a spring. it doesnt make sense to me that only a few people have noticed this/ford havent done something about it.

the thrust bearing is sopposed to rest against the pressure plate otherwise it will rattle around and if its too loose you risk the cable comming uncliped from the fork...

Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:53 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

if the thrust bearing rests against the prssere plate it will be constantly spinning, wont this wear it out pretty quickly?
what i was thinking was a spring to move it away from the pressure plate and at the same time keep tension on the cable.

Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:16 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Bluefalcooooon wrote:
if the thrust bearing rests against the prssere plate it will be constantly spinning, wont this wear it out pretty quickly?
what i was thinking was a spring to move it away from the pressure plate and at the same time keep tension on the cable.

Mine has always touched the pressure plate...but for some reason the old bearing that I had in there didn't have any issues, the newer one (2 years old now) has an annoying squeal which can be quiet loud when cold. Haven't had the chance to fix it yet because I'm just lazy.

I always thought it was meant to keep in slight contact with the plate.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:26 pm 

NSW, Australia

Bluefalcooooon wrote:

its ment to be just resting against the fingers to keep the throwout arm and bearing centred..
with minimum pressure against the pressure plate there would be no noticable extra wear..
the clutch should still wear out before the thrust bearing will...

i used the same thrust bearing on 2 clutches over a period of 6 years and only replaced it a month ago with the new clutch. and the old thrust bearing was still fine...

imo.. modifying things to stop the thrust bearing being against the pressure plate is to much effort for no gain..

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next