Fordmods Logo

Commodore wheels on Pre-AU Falcon 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Commodore wheels on Pre-AU Falcon
Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Commodores have a 5 x 120 stud pattern (Fords use 5 x 114.3) and +40 offset (which is the same as AU onwards Falcons).
I was wondering if anyone has had hubadapters made with the Commodore stud pattern?
As for why, I've found a lot of nice wheels second hand for the Commodores which are exactly what I want, but yet to find what I want in the Ford stud pattern (and I'm not paying $900 a wheel to have them made).
O, and for the legalities of hub adapters, save it, I'm not interested - I've been using them for 2 years now without a drama and will continue to.

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Just rang Tempe Tyres and they said they can make some up. About $60.00 an adapter he reckons. My only concern is that if I change my front brakes set up, which I intend to do early next year I'll need to buy a new set of wheels to suit Ford stud pattern and post-AU offset. Hmmmm...

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

wheel_inc (http://myworld.ebay.com.au/wheel_inc/) will also do them.

Post subject: Re: Commodore wheels on Pre-AU Falcon
Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:43 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
O, and for the legalities of hub adapters, save it, I'm not interested - I've been using them for 2 years now without a drama and will continue to.

u betta save it, and by it i mean $$$ ready for when u have an at fault accident and the insurance company goes running

Post subject: Re: Commodore wheels on Pre-AU Falcon
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: ELXR8 SERIES 2

SA, Australia

xpression wrote:
twr7cx wrote:

u betta save it, and by it i mean $$$ ready for when u have an at fault accident and the insurance company goes running

as long as he puts the right wheel nuts on there should be no probs. im sick of people bagging adaptors, only ones ive ever seen fail were not put on properly, ie wrong wheel nuts or stupid stuff like that oh and my insurance covers for hub adaptors and im prety sure there is a bloke on here who got a enginiers cert for his adaptors aswell. CAMS also seem to think they are safe enough to bolt to a race car and pound it round a track so they musnt be that unsafe.

EL XR8 SERIES 2, 5SPD, HOT CHILLI RED, 200 ODD RWKW OF V8 FUN AND GAMES

EF XR6, 5SPD, HERITAGE GREEN, AU XR6 VCT ENGINE

VL COMMODORE, 5SPD, WHITE

BA XT, AUTO, OFFSHORE BLUE

Post subject: hub adapters
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 08 BF Ghia

VIC, Australia

Not saying that you will have a problem but just expect if something goes wrong to pay out as most insurers will look for any excuse to get out of a claim. If you have already notified them you shouldnt have a problem. Engineers certificate is all you need. But why not just find something that suits your car. Hub adapters do rarely fail but i certainly wouldnt drive a car with them on.

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: NCII Fairlane + G220

Power: 143 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Patience grasshopper! All good things come to those who wait!
I went down the road of looking to fit hub adaptors to suit the wheels I liked on ebay, but by the time you source the hub adaptors and pay for them, as well as the wheels you have to buy, it can get pricey! That's not to mention the time and effort to have them engineer approved, contacting your insurance company to advise them and forking out the extra insurance premium for the extra mod!!! Don't get me wrong, I am no expert and I'm not bagging hub adaptors, but is it really worth the hassle?
I found a great set of PRE-AU wheels brand new for less than $1500 with new tyres, chrome valves, lock nuts etc etc. Check out my other posts for more info if you are interested!
Specifically :-
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/post7451 ... ht=#745116

E-Series Fairlane/LTD? forums/post746329.html#746329
Mick's Garage forums/viewtopic.php?t=65504

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

micknkell wrote:
I went down the road of looking to fit hub adaptors to suit the wheels I liked on ebay, but by the time you source the hub adaptors and pay for them, as well as the wheels you have to buy, it can get pricey! That's not to mention the time and effort to have them engineer approved, contacting your insurance company to advise them and forking out the extra insurance premium for the extra mod!!! Don't get me wrong, I am no expert and I'm not bagging hub adaptors, but is it really worth the hassle?
I found a great set of PRE-AU wheels brand new for less than $1500 with new tyres, chrome valves, lock nuts etc etc. Check out my other posts for more info if you are interested!

yeah in my case it was worth the hassle, well not much hassle realy. i got a $3000 set of wheels for $600 brand new but in au/ba offset insted of e series, even though i paid $350 odd for my adaptors, milled out of billet with new original ford studs i still came out $2000 ahead.

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef

SA, Australia

millard455 wrote:
micknkell wrote:

yeah in my case it was worth the hassle, well not much hassle realy. i got a $3000 set of wheels for $600 brand new but in au/ba offset insted of e series, even though i paid $350 odd for my adaptors, milled out of billet with new original ford studs i still came out $2000 ahead.

pics??

there are three types of people in this world:
those that can count and those that can't

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:41 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: XR6 and ZD Fairlane

QLD, Australia

id have to feel more inclined to waiting, i had the same problem not long ago, i hate having a car that looks like every other car. If you shop around you can find some really good rims for the e-series offset, i was lucky and scored a set of viper 18's which look similar to the TS series wheels. just dont get frustrated and head down the road of adaptors its not worth the headache in end.
Good Luck

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Clearly I made this thread with a purpose of particular information. I stated in my first post I was not interested in anything to do with the legalities of it - if you want to discuss the dangers associated with hub adapters, feel free, but at least have the decency to start your own thread and keep your litter out of mine.

As for why I am doing this is because the wheels I want are around $900 a wheel + cost of tyres, I'm currently eyeing a second hand pair for a Commodore with tyres for $1500 - you do the maths and tell me if I'm saving...

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA 3V Tunna

VIC, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
Just rang Tempe Tyres and they said they can make some up. About $60.00 an adapter he reckons. My only concern is that if I change my front brakes set up, which I intend to do early next year I'll need to buy a new set of wheels to suit Ford stud pattern and post-AU offset. Hmmmm...

$60 is great.. the bridgestone joint here sells the normal hub adaptors (pre AU -> AU/BA) for $65..

so in my opinion go for it

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
Clearly I made this thread with a purpose of particular information. I stated in my first post I was not interested in anything to do with the legalities of it - if you want to discuss the dangers associated with hub adapters, feel free, but at least have the decency to start your own thread and keep your litter out of mine.

As for why I am doing this is because the wheels I want are around $900 a wheel + cost of tyres, I'm currently eyeing a second hand pair for a Commodore with tyres for $1500 - you do the maths and tell me if I'm saving...

yeah sory bout that man, just sick of people bagging products they prob havent even used.

www.ultimateparts.com.au or 03 97769770, this bloke will be able to make prety much any adaptor you want. he does heaps of one off adaptors and best bit is you can deal with the bloke that makes them, bit mor pricey than others i think but very good quality.

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Cheers for that link millard!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]