Fordmods Logo

converting to lsd. 

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

I lived in an apartment complex in sydney where if I didnt have an LSD I wouldnt have driven out in the rain (Would have slid and then gone backwards).

Theyre good for what theyre good for

Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

i was under the assumption you had less chance of going sideways with a single spinner?

As one wheel spins and the car stays dead straight...... but with LSD the car wants to crab walk almost immediately

Am i correct?

Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

No - Because with a single spinner the diff will happily drive one wheel - so if you spin, and it bites, then torqu is pretty unevenly transferred (can send you slightly sideways).

Assuming traction is fairly similar both sides, a LSD will take off straight - both wheels will spin at same speed, and takeoff will be straight. yeah things happen when there is a little traction loss, but its quite controlled.

I like LSD's... Prefer them but dont have one at the moment

Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

ARRRG, here I go again. Causing myself headaches as only a novice could.

Have found an LSD on an old Ford Ute at the wreckers... Have an EF stationwagon and would look at swapping the whole thing from end of driveshaft to wheels... Other than... Well...

DRUM BRAKES.

No thanks, like disks...

Am I right in thinking that the complete centres cannot just be swapped as the splines would be different? Old ones (80's) are 25 spline at axle and the EF axles would have 28?

May just go out with a few tools and hack into the poor old LSD and see what's inside. Just hope it survives in good enough order to be useful later.

LSD would definately have saved me from climbing out car a number of times on the dirt last weekend. Am also sick of popping the right rear tyre due to it spinning all by itself too regularly.

Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Boxcar Love

QLD, Australia

You are correct, you CANNOT fit a 25 spline centre into your 28 spline diff.

Some of the ford diffs you can swap the axles too, but NOT in this case, due to the drums.

Commodore australia's favorite car??? What a load of s**t

Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Yeah. Knew it was too good to be easy! Bloody typical. I now have about $1200 in the bank and could just afford the EA with a 5 Speed in it from Auckland. Arrrgg, there I go again. I should just be content with finding that the BA intake pipe from throttle to airbox fitted into my EF beauty. Nice easy one that. Awesome. May just spend the say removing the head lights and polishing the yellow off (once a year standard EF / EL maintenance...) and take off the front bumper and put in a fresher looking oil cooler up the front.

Also going to have a close look at the DIY SHIFT KIT documents as this auto tranny of mine is on its way out so may as well flog it.

All good, thanks for the reply.

Did virtually all the Ford pre EA have 25 spline? Maybe (just maybe) this UTE does have 28?

;)

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

lil_lincoln wrote:
thats exactly what i wanted to no, thank you :-) im pretty sure the ef diffs are 28 spline can someone confirm this??? i think i would just give it to the mechanic and ask him to put it in. im confident with taking an engine apart not a diff tho. lol thanks alot.

So how did you go? Did you end up buying the LSD & have it fitted?

I got a quote today for $750 to get a 2nd hand LSD supplied and fitted, not sure how much cheaper it would work out buying one off ebay?

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2