Fordmods Logo

Cruise Control 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Cruise Control
Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:54 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 29 images

VIC, Australia

Just after somebody who has installed a factory cruise control to a EA/B/D GLi. Would appreciate heaps as I am soon to be fitting said system to my GLi and would want some info, because I don't have connectors for a plug and play, so I would need to solder in to existing wiring.
If anyone has done this, or would know how, could you please shed some light.
On that note, somebody suggested changing entire dash loom with all connectors and just plugging it all in, but would that be a very difficult task, or is it easy enough.
Any help on that would also be great.

Cheers.

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:41 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BF MKIII XR inspired wagon

QLD, Australia

I did a conversion years ago on a 91 EB GL wagon with centrepoint injection...it was a factory cruise from a EB Fairmont multipoint because the centrepoint motors never had cruise control from the factory. From memory i used all the parts ( actuator,computer,cable,steering wheel etc.) from donor car...i just checked where everything came from and went to and transferred to mine. I'm a bit hazy about the wiring side of things but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a big deal. The main thing I had to modify was the length of the cable to connect to the centrepoint injection and make an extra balljointed lever to connect to linkage. The cable was shortened by a business that makes throttle cables etc. and fitted with the correct ball socket end. I was also fortunate to have a factory workshop manual to check all of the wiring...definately made the job easy! Hope this helps.

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:43 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BF MKIII XR inspired wagon

QLD, Australia

I did a conversion years ago on a 91 EB GL wagon with centrepoint injection...it was a factory cruise from a EB Fairmont multipoint because the centrepoint motors never had cruise control from the factory. From memory i used all the parts ( actuator,computer,cable,steering wheel etc.) from donor car...i just checked where everything came from and went to and transferred to mine. I'm a bit hazy about the wiring side of things but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a big deal. The main thing I had to modify was the length of the cable to connect to the centrepoint injection and make an extra balljointed lever to connect to linkage. The cable was shortened by a business that makes throttle cables etc. and fitted with the correct ball socket end. I was also fortunate to have a factory workshop manual to check all of the wiring...definately made the job easy! Hope this helps.

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:48 am 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

I did this conversion also a few years ago. I used an EBII Fairmont as a donor car and my car was a EBII S Pack. You'll need the following:
Vacuum pump and vacuum hoses
Vacuum actuator and throttle cable
Brake switch
Cruise Computer
Steering wheel
Wiring loom

On your ED the wiring will already be there for the vacuum pump, which is mounted behind the washer bottle, under the VIN.

The trickiest part is "patching" in the wiring from the computer into your harness. Theres about 10 wires (from memory) from the computer that need to be patched in. Out of the factory, the computer is located under the centre console , but I just mounted mine up behind the fusebox as it was easier. You'll have to trace back the cruise computer harness from under the console, and either take a photo of the harness behind the fusebox which it goes into, or cut it and take it back with you so you can copy the setup. If you use a small screwdriver you can pull the individual wires out of the harness and add them into yours. You'll be left with 2 black wires which run under the drivers scuff plate to the back of the car. Just cut these and earth them somewhere behind the dash. There is a hole you will have to drill in the firewall to get the vacuum line from the T-Piece to the brake switch. (although it will work without this, and with the electrical cut-off). See how you go, but as I said the most important bit is making sure you know where all the wires from the computer go into your main loom - no cutting/soldering required if you use a screwdriver to remove each wiring from the donor harness.

GOOD LUCK!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]