Fordmods Logo

Diff Ratio.. whats the go.. im a noob 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: Diff Ratio.. whats the go.. im a noob
Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:49 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

hey every 1
im posting just to gather some knowledge bout changing the diff on my car in order to get pis$ off the tall first gear. i have no idea about this so i thought id ask here first instead of getting ripped by a dodgy mechanic.

pretty much

1. is this a matter of getting a different ratio diff and replacing and thats it
2. is there any other things needed to be done like computer change or whateva
3. rough price and can i get the parts from like a wreckers or sumthin

oh and by the way i have a 1996 EF II Falcon Gli Automatic

thanks alot
any input whould be appreciated

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:45 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EB V8

NSW, Australia

1. A ratio change need only involve the crown wheel & pinion (ie the cogs themselves) & pinion bearings. Many people have an LSD centre fitted or reconditioned at the same time though which adds to the cost.
2. changing the ratio will throw out the speedo reading (see here for calculations http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=30 )
3. Yes, but it depends on what ratio you want, whether you want it to be quiet, if you have an LSD centre already or if you want one? Cheap & nasty way is to fit 3.7 or 3.89 crown wheel & pinion out of an R31 skyline but, you will be lucky to get the gears to engage quietly. they had a bad whine problem to start with, it can be horrendous in a Falcon housing. You only get what you pay for.

As for what ratio, depends on how much of a comprominse you want. The shorter the gearing (the high the number ) the more acceleration, but also more revs, noise, wear & fuel.

Best compromise IMHO is actually a T5 conversion. 2nd in the T5 is almost equal to 1st in a BTR auto. You will have better acceleration & use less fuel. Also more driver involvement, more control & more fun.

Production Editor of Performance Motoring at Express Media Group
shollier@expresspublications.com.au
Phone: (02) 9741 3838 (direct line)

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:07 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

ah ok that sounds alright ,

whats the go with the T5 conversion though like how much so it wont fall apart and can i just give the car to mechanic and go yep u do it and pick it up later cuz i honestly have no idea with this kinda stuff.

thanks sam12h

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:20 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

I don't know of anyone in Sydney that offers a drive-in, drive-out T5 conversion but someone else might.

But, I'd suggest that if you don't want to do anything yourself (or can't find anyone willing to help you), either make do with what you have or trade it in on a manual.

If you do keep it as an auto, you would be looking at a bit over $1000 for an LSD centre with any ratio you like (new parts) fitted to your diff. In keeping with your original idea however, finding a 3.45 LSD (disc to disc) out of an XR6 would be a cheaper option, would be easy to fit & would be a good overall compromise.

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:35 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

If you are interested, I saved the text from the Ford Tech T5 conversion tutorial. It was for a 6cyl EB, bit it is useful for anyone converting an E series.

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:39 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

ok sam12h

thanks for all ya help its greatly appreciated

ill get back 2 ya bout the text , ill have a think about waht im gunna do since im still in school but am planning to keep hte EF for a while so ill see what happens. if i have any question regarding this type of stuff would u mind me asking you, thanks

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:39 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

ok sam12h

thanks for all ya help its greatly appreciated

ill get back 2 ya bout the text , ill have a think about waht im gunna do since im still in school but am planning to keep hte EF for a while so ill see what happens. if i have any question regarding this type of stuff would u mind me asking you, thanks

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:06 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

No worries.

Good luck with the decision, & the HSC (I presume).

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:39 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: AU XR6 UTE

VIC, Australia

hey guys, just got a quick question, i have an AU series 1 on falcon. Its an auto. I am looking to replace the diff. I am going to put an LSD into it but also thinking about changing the gear ratios. I have been reading through some of the forums on here and have seen that guys who have changed there ratios, have had trouble with the auto shifting. Is this something that happens all the time when u do change the ratios in your diff and you have an auto?

Post subject: Re: Diff Ratio.. whats the go.. im a noob
Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:58 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

Patty wrote:
hey every 1
im posting just to gather some knowledge bout changing the diff on my car in order to get pis$ off the tall first gear. i have no idea about this so i thought id ask here first instead of getting ripped by a dodgy mechanic.

pretty much

1. is this a matter of getting a different ratio diff and replacing and thats it

thanks alot

hi

be carefull if you get a second hand one from a wreckers dont buy anything from fordpro in smithfield because they will tell you its 3.45 and your probably getting 3.23 or something like that...
ive had some problems with that wrecker .
i brought a diff from them and it was labled 3.45 lsd after fitting it to find it was as noisy as hell and the lsd centre was stuffed .. and after taking the cover off it was a 3.27.....
to cut a long story short i ended up getting my diff reco'd at d&r diffs at chipping norton with new bearings ,reco lsd centre and a ratio change all up fitted to the car it was $700....

Post subject: Re: Diff Ratio.. whats the go.. im a noob
Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 5 Star Boxcar

NSW, Australia

TMAN NK wrote:
Patty wrote:
hey every 1

pretty much

thanks alot

hi

be carefull if you get a second hand one from a wreckers dont buy anything from fordpro in smithfield because they will tell you its 3.45 and your probably getting 3.23 or something like that...
ive had some problems with that wrecker .
i brought a diff from them and it was labled 3.45 lsd after fitting it to find it was as noisy as hell and the lsd centre was stuffed .. and after taking the cover off it was a 3.27.....
to cut a long story short i ended up getting my diff reco'd at d&r diffs at chipping norton with new bearings ,reco lsd centre and a ratio change all up fitted to the car it was $700....

yeh fordpro tried to pull a fast one on me too

Kezz's 5sp Box Car ---> RPD enhanced with a bunch of other stuff

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 5 Star Boxcar

NSW, Australia

sorry i forgot to add, the place to go in sydney is maccarthur parts plus, top place to deal with and know their fords

Kezz's 5sp Box Car ---> RPD enhanced with a bunch of other stuff

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:47 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

k thanks kez
i bought my trip comp from macarthur the guy seemed like a champ , ill go back there now

thanks

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]