Fordmods Logo

Differences between a BA T5 and earlier models 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Differences between a BA T5 and earlier models
Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:37 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Custom Bedford, 79 Firebird

WA, Australia

Hey, I'm just pondering pulling apart the ba, dropping the auto, and replacing it with a manual.. What I first want to know, is the BA T5 different at all from an EF-EL T5 manual? If not, it'll make sourcing a gearbox ALOT faster. If it is different, do you know what the main differences are? Is it purely ratios? Any knowledge is appreciated!

Happy Mortoring!

Wrecking BA lots of parts available Pictures and prices here
3 Decks with stackers PRICE DROP

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:35 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

the bellhousing etc is totally different as the BA uses a hydraulic clutch, im pretty sure the output shaft is different also but id have to check to be sure...

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ba xr6 turbo

VIC, Australia

i heard that the t5 in the ba are diff cause the gears r hardened and thats y they brake straight away. unlike the old t5 they just bend like a bananna

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:04 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Oh mate this has come along at a good time!

A friend of mine purchased a BA XR6 turbo T5 box to put in his XF (doing a 4.0 conversion) and it is seriously giving him headaches due to the hydraulic set up, the length etc etc. I have nearly convinced him to stick an old C4 in it instead.

The box is obviously in good order. He also has a billet "Extreme" flywheel, pressure plate and clutch to suit. Has a good wrecker contact that can probably source any of the other conversion parts you are after.

You should call Shaun 0403221661 best to try after 7pm as he is hell busy during the day.

EA SVO Fairmont Ghia - Recaros, Bilsteins, Sunroof, SVO rims and body kit, Genie headers, DBA rotors. T5 steeda triax short shifter. 3.27 lsd. (EL 4.0 ported/polished, rebuilt and balanced, Dev5 cam. J3 chipped EL ecu, AU injectors).

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

aaron_hogan wrote:
Oh mate this has come along at a good time!

A friend of mine purchased a BA XR6 turbo T5 box to put in his XF (doing a 4.0 conversion) and it is seriously giving him headaches due to the hydraulic set up, the length etc etc. I have nearly convinced him to stick an old C4 in it instead.

The box is obviously in good order. He also has a billet "Extreme" flywheel, pressure plate and clutch to suit. Has a good wrecker contact that can probably source any of the other conversion parts you are after.

You should call Shaun 0403221661 best to try after 7pm as he is hell busy during the day.

Does hydraulic clutch work by using hydraulic line instead of clutch cable? How is he adapting it to use in the XF? (i've never personally looked at a hydraulic clutch setup)

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

He'll need a Dellow bellhousing

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:07 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Quote:
the bellhousing etc is totally different as the BA uses a hydraulic clutch, i'm pretty sure the output shaft is different also but id have to check to be sure...

The bell housing is totally different. Starter in different position and of course the hydraulic setup. The output shaft is different in that it sits further back from an older series T5. Unsure about splines in it though as I will have a new tailshaft made up to suit so I won't be investigating any further.

Quote:
Does hydraulic clutch work by using hydraulic line instead of clutch cable? How is he adapting it to use in the XF? (i've never personally looked at a hydraulic clutch setup)

I am adapting it to the XF very easily...by throwing it out. An e-series T5 bell housing fits, still a little bit of work to do there. I need to measure both bell housings to make sure that the clutch will operate correctly.

The input shaft is different between models, but not a real issue as BA XR6T flywheel will fit a e-series crank.

Another issue is generating a speedo signal. The B-series T5's generate the signal using engine rpm, gear selection, and a little abs sensor to calculate speed in the ECU. There are options available here also.

Aaron has almost convinced me to just put a C4 in but most of the problems have been overcome now and alot of time/money has been invested to make it work so a part of me wants to see it through.

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:13 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Custom Bedford, 79 Firebird

WA, Australia

Thanks for the advice fellas, and Aaron, thanks for the heads up, but I haven't followed through mainly due to having to chase other parts anyway, I'll just source all parts at the same time, hopefully this will result in lower costs also, I'm not planning to spend 2 grand+ to get this manualised..

Cheers anyway, and good luck with the XF project, I'll keep you posted on the BA manual project..

Happy Motoring

Wrecking BA lots of parts available Pictures and prices here
3 Decks with stackers PRICE DROP

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]