Fordmods Logo

Differences in T5 bellhousings & compatibility 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Differences in T5 bellhousings & compatibility
Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:46 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL Wagon, DF LTD

VIC, Australia

I did a search for this but couldn't come up with much info of what I'm after, but it's possibly already been discussed.

I'm planning on converting my EL's engine, once I get time to put it in the DF, to manual. I've been looking around for conversions and saw a reconditioned one on eBay with pedal box, brand new clutch kit etc. Only issue is that he says it's for EA-ED.

From what I remember reading, the bellhousing between them and the EF/EL is different and the bolts won't line up? Is this the case? Also it shouldn't make a difference with my engine being the EL/AU hybrid because the changes were mostly in the top?

And apart from a different pedal box is there any other differences between other models, or is a T5 a T5?

Cheers boys

The gene pool could do with a little bit of chlorine...

Post subject: Re: Differences in T5 bellhousings & compatibility
Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

EA-EL 6 bellhousings are the same. AU is different. Bottom two bolts won't line up. BUT the main top 6 do. My SVO is an AU motor with E series BTR. Bottom two bolts don't line up but a lot of people have had cars like that and never had an issue.

EA-ED the pedal box is different as they have a bracket for the handbrake to bolt onto. Plus the manual gear boot and surround are completely different.

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:05 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL Wagon, DF LTD

VIC, Australia

Yeah I remember reading about the bottom two and just assumed they were different, ah well that makes things easier if they're the same.

So would there be any issue with using the boot from an EL with the ED T5?

Haven't read the conversion doco in a while, but if I was to use the Malwood pin that'd save the hassle with the pedal box anyway wouldn't it? Or could try not be lazy and source another pedal box.

How is the SVO going btw? I've still got the LTD rims sitting in the shed, been busy with uni, plus I seem to have misplaced the key to the lock nuts for the ones that are on there!

The gene pool could do with a little bit of chlorine...

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:20 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

steedy wrote:
Yeah I remember reading about the bottom two and just assumed they were different, ah well that makes things easier if they're the same.

the EA/B/D do not have the lower two bolt holes the AU has

steedy wrote:

as in the EL console with the ED T5? ... yes. my understanding is the AU T5 hasa longer rear housing so shifter is slightly further back compared to the EA/B/D shifter location. so using the ED should be fine

steedy wrote:
Haven't read the conversion doco in a while, but if I was to use the Malwood pin that'd save the hassle with the pedal box anyway wouldn't it?

probably .. altho you rebuild/reinforce the one ya buyin or change an undamaged auto unit with the malwood pin ... ur call

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

steedy wrote:

Haven't read the conversion doco in a while, but if I was to use the Malwood pin that'd save the hassle with the pedal box anyway wouldn't it? Or could try not be lazy and source another pedal box.

How is the SVO going btw? I've still got the LTD rims sitting in the shed, been busy with uni, plus I seem to have misplaced the key to the lock nuts for the ones that are on there!

I was like. WTF? Who are you. But you're the guy that bought the 5 DF wheels I had. LOL. Yeh it's moving along slowly. But any progress it good

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:17 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

E series bellhousing has 87DA-xxxxx number cast where the gearbox bolts up to - older XF one has 86DA - xxx (not what you want).

Also, read this viewtopic.php?t=39358 .

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]