Fordmods Logo

differences?? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: differences??
Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

G'day thrillseekers, I have just being researching the Pedders cattledog and the Monroe cattledog as well, looking at front shox for an ED (6)

I have some front shox for an EF that are sitting around, and I thought they might do, but, (aint there ALWAYS a "but" :roll: ) I see that the part numbers for the two vehicles are different. E.g; ED = 37- 0191 & 2, whereas the EF/L = 37 - 0288 & 9 (Monroe) Pedders numbers also differ.

I have two questions: firstly what is the difference between the dampers for the respective vehicles?? and

second, I believe the stub axles (wheel spindles) for the EA/B/D are different for the EF/L how are they different, and how can you tell them apart? :?

The part numbers for the EF/L ones start with EF, so they are obviously not interchangeable.

Go for it!!!

Post subject: Re: differences??
Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

stub axles through EA-EL are the same, however EA-ED uprights are different from EF-EL

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:50 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

stub axles are different, but are interchangable as a pair, the tie rod position is slightly offset in ef/el compared to ea/ed. also there is a difference between ea to eb2/ed, ea dont have provision for abs...

shocks are the same from ea to el.. you can even use au,ba/bf complete shock and spring assembly in ea to el...

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
stub axles are different, but are interchangable as a pair, the tie rod position is slightly offset in ef/el compared to ea/ed. also there is a difference between ea to eb2/ed, ea dont have provision for abs...

shocks are the same from ea to el.. you can even use au,ba/bf complete shock and spring assembly in ea to el...

altho dont the ba shocks raise the e series? there was talk of this on another thread ages ago,

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:55 pm 

NSW, Australia

bry40l wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:

altho dont the ba shocks raise the e series? there was talk of this on another thread ages ago,

possably, i have heard that aswell but they do fit straight in..

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

O.k., so what you are saying is that I should be able to use the complete front strut (shocker) assembly from the EL into the ED, just swap them straight over.

Quote:
stub axles through EA-EL are the same, however EA-ED uprights are different from EF-EL

Let me get this bit right, Troyman: by the stub axle, I mean the whole steering knuckle assembly, meaning the assembly that contains the ball joints, and the part that the bearings slide on to. If by "the uprights" do you mean the whole assembly? If they are different, how so? Is it only the tie rod offset?

If the tie rod positions are slightly offset, can it be measured?

You see, the problem I have is that I also have a pair of steering knuckles, and I can't remember which car they came off. However, from this:
Quote:
stub axles are different, but are interchangable as a pair
it probably doesn't matter, as long as I use both. (Hasn't got ABS)

Am I right so far??

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

I have springs and shocks from an EB in my EF and it has no issues, all shocks and springs from EA-EL are definatley directly interchangeable

Gab

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:00 pm 

NSW, Australia

creeture3 wrote:
O.k., so what you are saying is that I should be able to use the complete front strut (shocker) assembly from the EL into the ED, just swap them straight over.

Quote:

Let me get this bit right, Troyman: by the stub axle, I mean the whole steering knuckle assembly, meaning the assembly that contains the ball joints, and the part that the bearings slide on to. If by "the uprights" do you mean the whole assembly? If they are different, how so? Is it only the tie rod offset?

If the tie rod positions are slightly offset, can it be measured?

You see, the problem I have is that I also have a pair of steering knuckles, and I can't remember which car they came off. However, from this:
Quote:
stub axles are different, but are interchangable as a pair
it probably doesn't matter, as long as I use both. (Hasn't got ABS)

Am I right so far??

yes stub axle as in where the disc rotor, brake caliperand tie rod mounts.
the upright as in shock and spring assembly..

i guess you could measure the difference in the eb to ef stub axle its not huge but a few mm in suspension geometry is alot..
either way if you fit ef stub axles in a eb a wheel alignment is all that is needed..

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

O.k., cool. thanks everybody, I can save a few bux doing this as the EF dampers are almost new, and I guess it really doesn't matter about the steering knuckle/stub axles, as long as they align all right.

The money I save can now be spent on fuel!! :evil: :lol:

Cheers all!!

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:16 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

creeture3 wrote:
You see, the problem I have is that I also have a pair of steering knuckles, and I can't remember which car they came off.
The part nos are cast in the section between the lower balljoint mount and the tierod mount - EB/ED's are most likely 91DA or 93DA.
Interestingly, EF/EL's are either 94DA or 95DA - don't know what the differences are between those ones.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Now that IS really interesting snap0964, I just checked, and the ones I have are 94DA therefore EF/L

Thanks heaps for that!!!!

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:39 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL Falcon XR6

New Zealand

TROYMAN wrote:

Sorry to dig up an old post but, If the BA/BF springs fit into EF/EL's then would superlows from a B series be fine in my EL?

Some guy is selling dobinsons BA/BF super lows for $180 front and back which is super cheap here in NZ and wanted to know if they'd fit in fine?

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:55 pm 

NSW, Australia

ScreamingChickena wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:

Sorry to dig up an old post but, If the BA/BF springs fit into EF/EL's then would superlows from a B series be fine in my EL?

Some guy is selling dobinsons BA/BF super lows for $180 front and back which is super cheap here in NZ and wanted to know if they'd fit in fine?

Only if you use the ba/bf front shockes aswell..
Rears are different so ba/bf rears wont fit el

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]