Disadvantages of a high stall torque converter 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: Disadvantages of a high stall torque converter
Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Quote:
First is an inevitable reduction in throttle control. While you previously enjoyed fine engine control in the low/mid rpm range, a high stall converter will give you a big rush of grunt – regardless whether you want it or not.

Cars fitted with excessively high stall converters can also be noisy and irritating to drive in urban conditions. Engine revs are constantly flaring and a previously quiet and refined car can be destroyed

Brendan points out that the high stall converter is not suited for towing on the open road.

It says that it's not suited for towing on the open road, but what about long highway cruises (i.e. 250kms etc.)? Why are they not able to tow with?

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: '07 LT XR5

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

im not sure, but i think if you have say a 2500 stallie installed and you're @ 110km/h cruise with gear on the car you'd probably be very close to that mark, and the tranmission would be constantly slipping...

i could be way off though

So much RAM the motherboard twisted off the POST.

I lost 3 cylinders... but gained a turbo...
Proud owner of an '07 XR5Turbo

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

yeah, the tranny would slip the entire time, it will cook itself eventually

with a trailer on the back it will exacerbate the problem

Nicco's M112 Blown, T-56 equipped EF
forums/viewtopic.php?t=68319

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

no idea where your quoting from, but it all depends on how high of a stall it is..

that quote would most likely be refering to a very high stall of like 3000rpm+

the factory convertor is no different in principle to a "high stall" just the revs are lower

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

high stall,from idle to stall speed the power is dead,be lucky to drag the body around.hit stall speed,a huge power rush-your on and in torque band. same as cams with high torque bands,dead until you reach the start of the band. we had a 40\80 cam in a holden 186 6cly,idle speed 2300 rpm start of band 4500-8500,60 ks was 1st gear\clutching,high idle. car ran low 12s-----xw\xy killer :lol: :lol: :lol:,hit 4500 and it felt like a wrecking ball hit the car,about 1 sec to change gear or redline 8500 plus,300plus fwhp.power comes in very hard,clutches-tailshafts-unijoints-gearboxes,diffs ok at the time, we used to spin the rims in the tyres,no smoke like xw\xy. try and get a wider torque band,closer to stock,be much better all round.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

It really depends on the stall speed, and how tight it is.

The statement in the first post is a pretty big call really as it doesn't specify any sort of stall speed.

If it's close enough to standard, ie 2500 or so, and you retain the electronic lock-up, you shouldn't have a problem.

In terms of driveability, I had a 2700 in my EL (2700 on the brake, 3200 or so on the flash) and when cruising, it drove like a complete stocker - it truly could not be picked.

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

on a falcon even with a mid range cam a 2700 stall should be heaps. I know my stock au hits its straps at about 2400. The cam I would eventually like would probably be CMS stage 2, which according to joe hits its stride at around 2200. so a stage 2 cam and 2700 stallie would see it well into its meaty bits. try to balance out things part for part. like a large jig saw puzzle. Its basically an effort of balancing the powerband with your gearing.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Sorry guys, I thought I posted up the link to the above quote. It is http://autospeed.com/cms/A_4004/article.html it is refering to JMM's high stall converters of 3,000rpm.

Basically I was looking to put one into the wagon, so that I could launch when boost is starting with the centi blower (not sure what rpm this will be at the moment as I'm upping the boost which will cause it to come in earlier).
But my concern is particuarly in relation to the highway driving and towing as I tow my boat and do a lot of highway driving.

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:12 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: 5 Spd EA Wagon, 5 spd EF Fairmon

VIC, Australia

The main problem as far as i know with stallies is that most of them have the lock-up removed to acheive stall speed. the one in my fairmont is like that, its a 2700. and it sh*ts me. i am planning another t5 conversion soon to get rid of the wrechid thing..
Its otherwise stock, just some extractors+cat and exhaust, but i'm constantly cooking auto-fluid, to the point where i have now cooked the auto that much that it doesnt work real good anymore, lol, hence the T5 conversion..

Cheers
David

If you're not driving a manual, you are only steering...

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

I wouldn't be putting a very high stall in a street driven car and personally I wouldn't put one full stop in a car that regularly tows.

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:05 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hey guys, I've got an Ed falcon with a EB bottom end and Au Head and a Wade 977b cam in it. It's a bit slow off the line at the moment and really takes off around 2500rpm. What type of stall converter would be best suited to put in?

Rebuilt EB bottom end, Balanced Crank, Decked and honed, Port and polished AU Head, Wade 977b cam, extractors, hi-flow cat, 2.5inch redback exhaust, EL Twin Thermo Fans,, triple core radiator, velour interior, Tinted windows, Lowered Pedders Shockers and springs, 17inch BA XR8 Rims

Posted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

BIG_JIMBO wrote:
Hey guys, I've got an Ed falcon with a EB bottom end and Au Head and a Wade 977b cam in it. It's a bit slow off the line at the moment and really takes off around 2500rpm. What type of stall converter would be best suited to put in?

One that stalls up to the rpm that your car starts making power at.

Posted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

so what stall converters are people using that retain the electronic lockup for highway cruising?

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]