Fordmods Logo

Ea 4 Speed Shifting problem 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Ea 4 Speed Shifting problem
Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:05 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Can someone help me and point me in the right direction, I have a EA 4 speed falcon. Tonght coming home I was travelling at 100 kph when the transmission went back to third and would not drop into top, the speedo also stop working for a short period of time. Approx 10 kls later the gearbox drop back into top. Occassionally the speedo would stop and start.
Is the transmission stuffed or is possible that the solenoid and ransducer need replacing? Any advise would be appreciated, Thankyou

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EAII Falcon S

QLD, Australia

firstly, the 4 speed auto was only released from eb onward so it must be a later addition. it sounds like a short in the electrical system :?

Speed Safely! ;-)

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

Redford wrote:
firstly, the 4 speed auto was only released from eb onward so it must be a later addition. it sounds like a short in the electrical system :?

Actually, they came out with the 30th Anniversary EA2s from October 1990. I have one in mine.

The speedo gets its signal from the ECU, and the ECU on the EAs communicates with the transmission control unit (TCM?). It's possible you have a fault in the ECU.

As auto transmissions are complex bits of equipment, I'd suggest getting it to a reputable transmission place ASAP to get it looked at.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:35 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Later EA's got the BTR 85LE 4 speed.
The problem will lie with the speed sensor, or more likely an intermittent wiring problem with the speed sensor output - check the speed sensor plug (red conduit line at the g/box), and the rectangular connector near injector no 6.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

Take snap's advice first, then mine if you can't fix it.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:42 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Shortshift wrote:
The speedo gets its signal from the ECU, and the ECU on the EAs communicates with the transmission control unit (TCM?). It's possible you have a fault in the ECU.
Not exactly, the speed sensor feeds the cluster, ECU and TCM.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EAII Falcon S

QLD, Australia

i have one in my early eb cfi series 1, but i had no idea they were relesed late ea series 2, thats some new info here. i stand corrected :?

Speed Safely! ;-)

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:08 am 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Well, it was the speed sensor in the end, along with a worn speedo drive gear, a code 36 on the reader.
Thanks for the help guys!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]