Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: EA driveline advise
Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:05 am 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

Gday

Just seeking a little advise.

I have a EA with a 3.9. I'm about the purchase a turbo kit which comprises of:

TO4 turbo, genuine Garratt .60/1.15 (600hp)
external gate + screamer
tuned length polished stainless high mount manifold

I'm looking for a EF/EL 4L to swap over before putting the kit on.
Am I right in thinking the 4L is the superior engine, or shall I stick with the 3.9 and convert to thermos?

Next is the drive line. I have read of people saying the 4spd auto is a stronger box. Is this true?

The car won't be my daily, so I don't want drive ability over strength/performance.

Is the C4 worth a look? Will it bolt up to the motor?

If I get a EF/EL I would look at swapping the diff over. Is this a bolt in job? Do the spring perches etc line up?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: EA driveline advise
Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

Some will suggest swapping your engine for an AU engine but the 3.9 bottom end will be OK if you rebuild it properly. Use an EF/EL head and rocker gear. Compared to the BTR, there are plenty of performance parts for a C4. As first gear on the BTRs is too tall, most go for a lower diff ratio which in turn alters the speedo. Then you need a speedo converter. I had problems with the one I used and ditched it and the 3.7 diff after a while.

With the diff, just get a 28 spline LSD and axles instead of trying to swap the entire rear axle assembly. The EF/EL trailing arms, hand brake, etc don't change over without some fiddling around.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:56 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Triples wrote:
Gday
external gate + screamer
Am I right in thinking the 4L is the superior engine, or shall I stick with the 3.9 and convert to thermos?
Next is the drive line. I have read of people saying the 4spd auto is a stronger box. Is this true?
The car won't be my daily, so I don't want drive ability over strength/performance.
If I get a EF/EL I would look at swapping the diff over. Is this a bolt in job? Do the spring perches etc line up?
Thanks in advance.

1) What RwKw are you expecting to produce?
2) What Booste do you paln to run?
3) How many km on your current engine?
4) What is the condition of your current engine?

These are questions that need to be anwsered first before it can be said that an engine is OK for turboing.

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

SWC wrote:
Triples wrote:
Gday
external gate + screamer
Thanks in advance.

These are questions that need to be anwsered first before it can be said that an engine is OK for turboing.

1) What RwKw are you expecting to produce? <250kw first stage of the build, then around 350kw
2) What Booste do you paln to run? 9psi then 20ish
3) How many km on your current engine? Unknown. Was informed around 10-15k but the guy lied about a few little things, so can't take his word.
4) What is the condition of your current engine? It's very powerless, but that could be something else. Clean, no leaks.

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:11 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Triples wrote:
SWC wrote:
Triples wrote:
Gday
external gate + screamer
Thanks in advance.

1) What RwKw are you expecting to produce? <250kw first stage of the build, then around 350kw
3) How many km on your current engine? Unknown. Was informed around 10-15k but the guy lied about a few little things, so can't take his word.
4) What is the condition of your current engine? It's very powerless, but that could be something else. Clean, no leaks.

1) 250RwKw is bordering on the safe limits for a "GOOD" early 4 litre. 350RwKw is not going to happen on a stock bottom end.
2) Same applies as above. I know that nore than one person has bent rods at less than 20psi (18psi was the number used)
3) So are you saying that the motor has just been rebuilt?
4) ?

If you want 350RwKw and 20lb of boost, then built a new motor, Use an AU block and crank, stronger, Spool rods and forge pistons. Get head ported and a cam to suit.

Oh and I forgot, open your wallet wide........ :shock:

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:15 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

SWC wrote:
Triples wrote:
SWC wrote:
Triples wrote:
Gday
external gate + screamer
Thanks in advance.

1) 250RwKw is bordering on the safe limits for a "GOOD" early 4 litre. 350RwKw is not going to happen on a stock bottom end.
2) Same applies as above. I know that nore than one person has bent rods at less than 20psi (18psi was the number used)
4) ?

If you want 350RwKw and 20lb of boost, then built a new motor, Use an AU block and crank, stronger, Spool rods and forge pistons. Get head ported and a cam to suit. Larger fuel pump, injectors, ECU, Tune etc.... New Gearbox, if using BTR.. time to spend big cash. If using C4, you will need a new bellhousing as well as a custom Convertor. C4 is a 3 speed. still dollars. Brake upgrade.... on and on.

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:34 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

Thanks guys!

Shortshift wrote:
With the diff, just get a 28 spline LSD and axles instead of trying to swap the entire rear axle assembly. The EF/EL trailing arms, hand brake, etc don't change over without some fiddling around.

What series came with the 28 spline? I won't need an LSD as I will run a spool.

SWC wrote:
4) ?

If you want 350RwKw and 20lb of boost, then built a new motor, Use an AU block and crank, stronger, Spool rods and forge pistons. Get head ported and a cam to suit. Larger fuel pump, injectors, ECU, Tune etc.... New Gearbox, if using BTR.. time to spend big cash. If using C4, you will need a new bellhousing as well as a custom Convertor. C4 is a 3 speed. still dollars. Brake upgrade.... on and on.

The car has a gem engine in it.

I will do a compression check, but it seems under powered.

The reason I want to do it in two stages is to get it turbo'd asap then save for stage two whilst driving it.
I like the idea of the C4. Where would I source the bell housing? and who could do me a convertor?
3spd is fine, it won't be daily driven and it's currently 3spd.

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:54 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

the main question is, how long do you want it to last????

the 3.9 being 8.8:1 compression will take well to boost, should have no trouble holding 10-14 psi all day long providing the engine is still healthy and its tuned well...
but with no other work to the engine i cant see it getting over 250rwkw..

as for the gearbox, the std 3 speed from the ea wont last 10 mins, the btr 4 speed auto can hold up ok with 250rwkw, again depending on the condition of the box..

if your going to abuse it, a built c4 will be needed at a cost of between $3000-5000..

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:53 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
the main question is, how long do you want it to last????

the 3.9 being 8.8:1 compression will take well to boost, should have no trouble holding 10-14 psi all day long providing the engine is still healthy and its tuned well...
but with no other work to the engine i cant see it getting over 250rwkw..

as for the gearbox, the std 3 speed from the ea wont last 10 mins, the btr 4 speed auto can hold up ok with 250rwkw, again depending on the condition of the box..

if your going to abuse it, a built c4 will be needed at a cost of between $3000-5000..

I'm a build it once build it properly guy, and want it to last.

Is the AU engine the pick over EF or EL?

Is there a specific model of the C4 to go for or are they all the same? What is the bell housing I need?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]