EA Falcon diff 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: EA Falcon diff
Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:19 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EA Falcon S Pac

NSW, Australia

whats a normal noise for an ea falcon diff to make? i have a noise in the rear of mine which i was told was the diff but he also said it has leaf springs.....i jacked it up and spun each wheel and the passenger side one was squeeking so i took the brake calliper off, pads were good but there was a slight noise still im not sure if it would get worse with load/speed on it or not. the diff has probably about 300,000ks on it.

Also i know that only a narrow bush diff will fit, say from an ea, eb series 1, xf, xe, but is it possible to fit a later model diff?

Finally its a 5 speed so it has a 2.92 final drive, is there any problems with fitting a 2.77 from an auto into it?
thanks
Chad

Post subject: Re: EA Falcon diff
Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:29 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

a normal noise is no noise!! but after 300'000km you might hear a slight whine which is still ok, just anoying.. have you checked the oil level in the diff??
and they are coil spring not leaf spring..

you can fit a diff from eb/ed with a mix of lower bushes/ modification and use a eb2-el tailshaft..
you could even use ef/el diffs but more work is needed to either fit your brakes or modify your hand brake set up to use the ef/el brakes...

Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:58 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EA Falcon S Pac

NSW, Australia

yeh thats what i was thining, the exhaust has more holes in it then swiss cheese so initally i thought it was that, but when the engine is switched off and you roll the card down a hill it has a very audiable noise, like a disk brake dragging kinda noise.

i took it to a mechanic to get it checked out and i guess all he did was take it for a drive, because he was the one who told me it had leaf springs in it.....after i asked him about the different bushes between ea and eb.

i tried to check the oil myself over the weekend but i couldnt budge the diff plug, is that normal? i cant see any sweat marks around the diff or diff seals, as in the oily marks from an oil leak.
im definietly thinking about getting a second opinion about it.

thanks
Chad

Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

leaf spring in sedans stopped in XD if i remember correctly. i think ford utes still run leaf? or did that stop at AU?
and it could very well be "dragging" a brake pad. have you checked the braked to see if they are ceased or anythin like that?

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]