Fordmods Logo

EA Manual diff upgrade. Advice needed. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: EA Manual diff upgrade. Advice needed.
Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:20 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: NL Fairlane. 5 liters of Fun!

NSW, Australia

Hey guys.
Got a quick question, and need some advice. getting my new toy on Tuesday, and am already planning the list of mods to it. Now i'm planning to make some decent power, but i want to know if any of ya have any ideas/suggestions as to Diff upgrades. I'm getting an EA S-Pack manual, 6 cyl. was thinking of tracking down an XR8 Diff, and dropping that in. that being said, would changing the diff center do the job, or would i need to replace the whole unit? Also, i have a wrecked AU Falcon sitting in my backyard that i am ripping the motor out of to chuck in the EA (After i give it a little tickle!). would an AU Forte diff be any use, or is that more or less what i've got? Any advice/suggestions would be much appreciated

Post subject: Re: EA Manual diff upgrade. Advice needed.
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:58 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Povvo_XT wrote:
Hey guys.
Got a quick question, and need some advice. getting my new toy on Tuesday, and am already planning the list of mods to it. Now i'm planning to make some decent power, but i want to know if any of ya have any ideas/suggestions as to Diff upgrades. I'm getting an EA S-Pack manual, 6 cyl. was thinking of tracking down an XR8 Diff, and dropping that in. that being said, would changing the diff center do the job, or would i need to replace the whole unit? Also, i have a wrecked AU Falcon sitting in my backyard that i am ripping the motor out of to chuck in the EA (After i give it a little tickle!). would an AU Forte diff be any use, or is that more or less what i've got? Any advice/suggestions would be much appreciated

No susch thing as an XR8 diff, it is 3.45:1, same as the XR6 etc.

Try and grab a diff out of EB/ED XR6 as the brake set up will be the same or you can grab one out of an EF/EL and use that, you will either need to modify your handbrake setup (EF/EL Better handbrake) or change over your EA handbrake to the EF/EL Diff.

AU Diff will be too wide. Remember that they are a +36 offset and E series are +6. The Forte Diff will be 3.08:1 and a single spinner and you will need to change the handbrake like on the EF/EL diff.

Last edited by SWC on Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:18 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

you can change the centre or just hunt around fa diff .. AU centre wont fit the EA diff nor would diff fit [too wide i believe?] my understanding is the EA to EL diffs can fit the EA with some mods re lata diffs needed. check what ratio ya have 1st then workout what ya want. current ration maybe a 2.77 or 3.23?? i know my EA spack is a 2.77 but its a 3sp auto & the gli was a 2.92 lsd with the 5sp

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:49 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Appreciated guys. seeing as i am planning forced induction, i just wanna make sure i don't blow the diff to pieces in a hurry! LOL. i know where i *might* be able to get my hands on an ef/el diff, but it'sout of a wagon.

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:50 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Povvo_XT wrote:
Appreciated guys. seeing as i am planning forced induction, i just wanna make sure i don't blow the diff to pieces in a hurry! LOL. i know where i *might* be able to get my hands on an ef/el diff, but it'sout of a wagon.

A Factory Diff in good condition will handle the power that you will be producing, your T5 will fail before the Diff.

Wagon diff will be no good for the Sedan. Wagon = Leaf Springs. Sedan = Coil Springs.

If you are looking at a higher ratio 3.7/3.9, look at Pintara Diffs or Skyline Diffs. Centres will go straight into a Falcon diff, at least they will with and EF/EL Diff.

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:48 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

SWC wrote:

Wagon diff will be no good for the Sedan. Wagon = Leaf Springs. Sedan = Coil Springs.

If you are looking at a higher ratio 3.7/3.9, look at Pintara Diffs or Skyline Diffs. Centres will go straight into a Falcon diff, at least they will with and EF/EL Diff.

Well to my knowledge i think you are right on the pintara/skyline diffs. it's all Borg Warner gear., and as to the wagon Diff, that is exactaly what i thought you would say. thanks for confirming what i thought. At least it's good to know that the std Diff should be happy for now.

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:07 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Povvo_XT wrote:
SWC wrote:

Well to my knowledge i think you are right on the pintara/skyline diffs. it's all Borg Warner gear., and as to the wagon Diff, that is exactaly what i thought you would say. thanks for confirming what i thought. At least it's good to know that the std Diff should be happy for now.

BUT you can use what is in the diff depending on model ie EB2 won't go in a EA2 but [so i have been told by the local diff place] the AU lsd will fit in the EB2. so just remember that somethings wont swap from lata into earlier etc

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Thanks again. i won't be in a rush now knowing what i've got will keep going for a while. Just gonna keep my eye out for a LSD Now.

Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

SWC wrote:
Povvo_XT wrote:
Hey guys.

No susch thing as an XR8 diff, it is 3.45:1, same as the XR6 etc.

Try and grab a diff out of EB/ED XR6 as the brake set up will be the same or you can grab one out of an EF/EL and use that, you will either need to modify your handbrake setup (EF/EL Better handbrake) or change over your EA handbrake to the EF/EL Diff.

AU Diff will be too wide. Remember that they are a +36 offset and E series are +6. The Forte Diff will be 3.08:1 and a single spinner and you will need to change the handbrake like on the EF/EL diff.

IIRC, the EB XR8 had 3.27 diff gears....4 pinion LSD, 28 spline.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:13 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EA Falcon

ACT, Australia

SWC wrote:
Povvo_XT wrote:

A Factory Diff in good condition will handle the power that you will be producing, your T5 will fail before the Diff.

Which model Skyline? There are a lot of them.
Cheers

Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:26 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

Barnfind-EA wrote:
SWC wrote:
Povvo_XT wrote:

Which model Skyline? There are a lot of them.
Cheers

r31 skyline have the b/w 3.89 and the r31 pintara has the 4.11..

Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:34 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

cjh wrote:

IIRC, the EB XR8 had 3.27 diff gears....4 pinion LSD, 28 spline.

which is what the EB 'S' has as well as the XG diff i picked up - not sure if the 'other' EB has a 3.27 or not but i doubt they are 4 pinion

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]