Fordmods Logo

EA to EB rear end swap 

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

NSW, Australia

I agree with Troyman, swap the complete diff housing, the complete lower control arms [as he did] but I would use the EB2 onwards tailshaft. Especially if you can score the XR6 alloy shaft with your diff purchase.
You can also use an EL XR6 diff as I did but you will need to use EL upper arms as well. See here:-
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/el-xr6-d ... 59213.html
If you use the EL [or EF] calipers you will need to use the EL rear handbrake cable, it's a simple mod.
Swapping the complete diff unit is the simplest, quickest and cheapest way do do this upgrade IMO.
Cheers,
Paul

What goes around, comes around.

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:39 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EA fairmont GHIA

NSW, Australia

thanks TROYMAN and Paulmac. Im hoping i can pick up an ED XR6 rear end, but the chances of that are slim. I dont even mind having a free spooling GLI diff or someing like that just want a better ratio than present. It's just a matter of time now, waiting for the right car to come through or yard. We have a spare EF or EL futura but i thought keeping it to the earlier model E Series would save a bit of work as the control arms wont need to be modified. I'm Already getting the thermo fans off of the EF so hopefully that will be taking up next saturday afternoon (most likely end up being the whole weekend gone trying to get it working properly).

5spd EA Fairmont GHIA, lowered Kings all round, 2.5" exhuast w/extractors, 3.45 LSD, Wade 1673 regrind cam, Alpine stuff inside

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

NSW, Australia

A good rule of thumb [so far] that I've found is to use the upper arms of the EF or EL with the same diff. ie EF with EF, EL with EL.
Troyman knows more about EAs than me [amongst other things] and if he says to change the lower arms as well I'd say listen to him.
I think it's better and easier to go with the later tailshaft. I also think you've got more chance of getting a low km EF-EL diff. If you use an EF or EL diff and calipers PM me and I'll put up pix of the handbrake cable mod BenJ and I used to fit the EL LSD setup to my EB2
I've got a couple of good EB2 complete diffs here, one has only 116k on it [3:23s I think] but they both single spinners.
Cheers,
Paul

What goes around, comes around.

Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

I have an EBII housing in my 88 EA sedan, using the ring gear and pinion from the EBII ( 3.27:1), using my original LSD centre, axles & brakes. I had to make spacers on the bottom diff mounts to keep using the original lower trailing arms.

Attachments:
Rear trailing arm spacers & bracing. 002.jpg
Rear trailing arm spacers & bracing. 002.jpg [ 413.23 KiB | Viewed 150 times ]

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2