Fordmods Logo

EB auto neutralising ??? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: EB auto neutralising ???
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:14 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Need some help here guys, Ive checked back quite a number of pages and cant find any answers as yet so Im hoping for some help.

Just done the reverse to what most people do and removed a T5 and fitted an auto, the car is a 93 EB factory manual K code car. I beleive Ive done all the right things but may have overlooked something so here goes.

Ive fitted a 4 speed auto from a 94 ED Ive used the ED's auto comp and wiring loom, connected both plugs in the engine bay flat one and big round one (round one was a prick to put together even pulled it apart again to make sure I didnt bend any pins all OK) anyways car drives fine shifts up the range beautifully, power and economy mode switch seems to work (hold gear a bit longer in power even the dash light works)

BUT..... heres the problem cruising along let the foot of the go pedal and the engine drops back to idle, no engine braking at all, also kicks down fine when you give it gas...When in D for drag shifts thru all gears and then convertor locks up as it should, but when in D and cruising pull back to 3 or 2 no change in acceleration nothing stays in 4th

also tried starting off in 1st then select 2nd 3rd then 4th all good yet again no engine braking at all just wants to coast like youve pushed the clutch in, (this happens in all 4 gears).

fluid level is fine everthing else seems ok neutral start switch only allows start in P or N and reverse lights work fine

Im confused but Im guessing its electrical is there something Ive missed...??

Thanks in advance for your help
Kev

Succesful trades with blur1, Felony, Jinxed, Dansedgli, Commando, Peyote, WAGHOON

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB2

VIC, Australia

did u change the filter in the box might be blocked but its just a guess.

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 94 ED Fairmont, MY97 LE WRX

VIC, Australia

My EB does they same thing mate, even with the reco'd EF/L tranny I had fitted last year.

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:59 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

thanks for the replies , spoke with my auto guy today he came round and drove the car hes a bit confused but its pointing towards the torque convertor at this stage more enquiries to be made

operation of the auto is A1 in his opinion, ( he rebuilds autos for a living )

after driving it again tonight all seems good there is a little bit of engine braking but very minimal..

hopefully will know more tomorrow

Kev

Succesful trades with blur1, Felony, Jinxed, Dansedgli, Commando, Peyote, WAGHOON

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

if u wanted engine braking you shouldv'e kept your T5, i dont thnk the auto's like engine braking...well mine didn't anyway

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:28 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Well looks like we have found the cause of the problem the BTR autos run an overrun clutch setup (C4) this is one of 2 solutions and more than likely the culprit the other possible cantidate would be the s2 solenoid being cracked but that would lead to other problems aswell...seems like they are fine when pressure is applied ie accell and when pressure drop under deccel the clutches release and thus no overrun just freewheeling...

main cause of this is manually downshifting the gears

will prolly be pulling the box out over the weekend and dismantling so I will know more then but reading thru the BTR book and a few other bits this is all it could really be

yet again thanks for your replies...
Kev

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

ive got a similar problem amoungst other things....that is theres no engine braking..from my research I thought its likely to be the over-run clutch thingy...but now im thinking the S2

no idea really....im going to pull the box out soon if it keeps getting worse....

you pulled one apart before?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]