Fordmods Logo

EB falcon, Huge clunk from rear of car 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: EB falcon, Huge clunk from rear of car
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:54 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 01 AU,93 eb

QLD, Australia

G'day all I bought a 93 eb falcon 2 months ago in S.A, Hasn't missed a beat since i have had it, got it for 900$ with reg and dual fuel,

In the last couple of weeks there has been a slight clunk coming from the rear of the car when engaging from either Park/Reverse to drive, It wasn't that bad 2 weeks ago but now it's really Loud, Sounds like the diff is about to drop or something? Also when Under throttle from a stop there is like a ticking/clacking noise coming from the same area of the clunk sound, The gearbox itself however changes gears perfectly,

Just wondering possibly what's wrong as i hit a kangaroo at 110 on my way back to s.a, Not much damage besides the aircon gas unit being pushed into the radiator don't think the impact of the roo could of done much to the back end?

Cheers all for any help, I forgot to mention The first month of owning the car i towing Hydraplats After work for about 2 weeks Think that could of strained something in the rear end?

Attachments:
File comment: 3
305898_10152326833270788_2131610805_n.jpg
305898_10152326833270788_2131610805_n.jpg [ 19.08 KiB | Viewed 175 times ]
File comment: 2
601345_10152279800070788_1593703662_n.jpg
601345_10152279800070788_1593703662_n.jpg [ 35.68 KiB | Viewed 183 times ]
File comment: 1
IMG332.jpg
IMG332.jpg [ 46.37 KiB | Viewed 167 times ]

Post subject: Re: EB falcon, Huge clunk from rear of car
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:07 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

clunking when you go from part to reverse or drive loads the a** end of the car... have you had it on stands or a hoist and checked the condition of all the back rubbers? Wobble anything and everything by hand to see if you can recreate the clunk?

What condition is the exhaust in? Holes? Bent? etc?

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:16 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
clunking when you go from part to reverse or drive loads the a** end of the car... have you had it on stands or a hoist and checked the condition of all the back rubbers? Wobble anything and everything by hand to see if you can recreate the clunk?

What condition is the exhaust in? Holes? Bent? etc?

Cheers,
Tim

A huge clunk from Park to Drive, Or Reverse to drive, Its really Loud mate, If my keep my hand on the shifter when Going from Park to Drive i can feel slight movement when it clunks, When giving more than 3/4 throttle from stop there is a ticking noise coming from the rear

Haven't had it on stands I'm not 100% confident at what to look for, The exhaust i'm assuming is still fine It's got a 2/12 inch or 3 inch on it(hasn't gotten any louder), I'm not really That clued on when it comes to other parts of the car besides the motor

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:23 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Short of checking all the rubber bushes to make sure they fallen to bits and letting the suspension hang and then using other force to test the diff and arms and swaybar and that you may have a hard time finding it...

Not much more I can tell you... I'd start with that and you aren't sure what to look for then best ask a mate to help you out or seek professional help...

Until you get it up and have a look under it and report back with you find it's hard for us to give advice on what is wrong... irrespective of whether you can feel it with your hand on the gear selector or not...

Not enough info to offer to much more assistance unfortunately...

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:24 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

shagged uni joint. either get replaced, or the cheaper option, is just find another tailshaft, being a E series, pretty much any SWB tailshaft will bolt straight in. Plus they are cheap as chips.

I have a car.

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:29 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
Short of checking all the rubber bushes to make sure they fallen to bits and letting the suspension hang and then using other force to test the diff and arms and swaybar and that you may have a hard time finding it...

Not much more I can tell you... I'd start with that and you aren't sure what to look for then best ask a mate to help you out or seek professional help...

Until you get it up and have a look under it and report back with you find it's hard for us to give advice on what is wrong... irrespective of whether you can feel it with your hand on the gear selector or not...

Not enough info to offer to much more assistance unfortunately...

Cheers,
Tim

Thanks mate, I live ruraly and the mechanic in town here is mmm say looks for anything and everything to fix, sorry i cannot provide much more information but you gave me a few good things to try and look for cheers for your help appreciate it

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:31 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

yeah no worries... DC says the uni joint... rock the tail shaft while you're under there too and check both ends of the tail shaft...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:32 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

dc_todd wrote:
shagged uni joint. either get replaced, or the cheaper option, is just find another tailshaft, being a E series, pretty much any SWB tailshaft will bolt straight in. Plus they are cheap as chips.

Thanks mate, Where i am currently living there is a backpacker who has the same car but green in color, On his drive back to from adelaide It overheated and the head went, Mechanic told him 2 grand to fix,and he's just planning on scrapping it, So thinking of offering 200 for the car maybe and use for spare parts, see how i go anyway thanks a bunch

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]