Fordmods Logo

ebay brakes any good 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: ebay brakes any good
Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:24 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Tba

NSW, Australia

Im looking to buy a car this weekend and will straight away be replacing all fluids and brake pads etc.

I looked on ebay and there are a few cheap sets of brake pads and disc rotors. Are they any good or are you risking safety with these brakes?

Some pads are like $28 for the fronts and same for the rears, can get disc rotors for less than $80 too. Some package rotor and pads for under $100 together. Sweet deal but do they work like good brakes?

Post subject: Re: ebay brakes any good
Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:53 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

thread moved to Gearbox, Suspension, Brake & Driveline Workshop.

6 cyl forum is for 6cyl engine related topics.

Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

A well respected modder on here got me onto the ADB slotted/drilled rotors off ebay. Cheap and also come with pads. Great deal, but I think Id rather go Bendix pads with the ADB rotors if I was to do it again. In saying that, both disks and pads still going strong 12 months later... I just know there is room for improvement in my setup and reckon better pads and braided lines would make a huge difference.
One thing too, if your doing the fronts Id get a set of bearings for both sides too and do them while the hubs off. May as well. Dont worry too much about the rears as almost all braking is done on the fronts. leave the rears solid and make sure they have a decent set of pads on the and you should be fine

Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

O'h i have been told too that slotted rotors are better as the drilled ones can crack, and the holes are mainly for wank factor... but hey, anyone who knows me knows I am a wanker

Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Subaru Liberty RX Wagon MY03

NSW, Australia

I got DBA Slotted rotors for the front and RDA extreme pads all round from an eBay store. Just had some used rear discs lying around from another member. Really happy with the result, improved braking with discs that don't warp every 5 minutes (e series).

Just be careful that you buy parts that suit you vehicle and double check when you receive them. I got EL discs sent to me, whacked them on the car and discovered that I couldn't mount the wheels as the studs were too long. Nothing an angle grinder couldn't sort out, though.

And yeah cross drilling is for looks only and I have read that cracking can occur.

Current ride: MY03 Liberty RX Wagon
EBII S-XR6, Now 5 speed. Moved on to greener pastures...

Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:37 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Tba

NSW, Australia

but do they increase performance over normal discs? stopping distances etc?

Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

Yes slotted rotors and decent pads will have some (not 'amazing' though) improvement over stock. Better pedal feel for a start.
In my opinion, the EF/L and AU series 1 brakes are barely adequate in stock form, any improvement is a definite plus.

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el fairmont ghia

QLD, Australia

I have rda slotted rotors and ebc greenstuff hd pads on mine, and they feel good, once they wore in they were great,

Muts EL Fairmont Ghia
did someone call 9 1 HOLY s**t?

Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EBII, XR6

NSW, Australia

Yeah RDA slotted rotors and QFM HPX pads on the front and normal DBA rotors and bendix pads on the back for me.

Combined with braided brake lines they have a really nice pedal feel once they've warmed up and brake okay.

Slotted rotors are definitely an improvement over stock and for the slight price difference worth it IMHO. Make sure you pair them with decent pads but!

Weekender: 07 BFII XR6T - Conquer
Retired: 1992 EBII SXR6 - Black Pearl

Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el fairmont ghia

QLD, Australia

lukeee wrote:
Yeah RDA slotted rotors and QFM HPX pads on the front and normal DBA rotors and bendix pads on the back for me.

Combined with braided brake lines they have a really nice pedal feel once they've warmed up and brake okay.

Slotted rotors are definitely an improvement over stock and for the slight price difference worth it IMHO. Make sure you pair them with decent pads but!

+1

Muts EL Fairmont Ghia
did someone call 9 1 HOLY s**t?

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

mitchell g wrote:
lukeee wrote:

+1

+1

On my EF XR6, I have DBA cross-drilled and slotted in the front and DBA slotted in the rear, with QFM HPX pads all round. This combo gives impressive stopping power. With small rotors and single-piston calipers, the E-series/AU1 can use all the help they can get. The cross-drilled are only marginally better than the DBA slotted I had on the front previously - probably not worth the extra money for street use. Only got cross-drilled because the place had a clearance special at about half price. The HPX pads are way better (and have slightly larger surface area) than the EBC green and red I had before.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EBII, XR6

NSW, Australia

efxr6wagon wrote:
mitchell g wrote:
lukeee wrote:

+1

+1

On my EF XR6, I have DBA cross-drilled and slotted in the front and DBA slotted in the rear, with QFM HPX pads all round. This combo gives impressive stopping power. With small rotors and single-piston calipers, the E-series/AU1 can use all the help they can get. The cross-drilled are only marginally better than the DBA slotted I had on the front previously - probably not worth the extra money for street use. Only got cross-drilled because the place had a clearance special at about half price. The HPX pads are way better (and have slightly larger surface area) than the EBC green and red I had before.

I might also add, that they still stop awesome and have no shudder over a year later, I think I've roughly done 25K kms but I never really brake hard or stop at the last second...

When I'm up for new front rotors next I'll be going for the DBA slotteds to try something a bit different.

Weekender: 07 BFII XR6T - Conquer
Retired: 1992 EBII SXR6 - Black Pearl

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]