Fordmods Logo

ED DIFF RATIO SWAP 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: ED DIFF RATIO SWAP
Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:22 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Good morning everybody.

I have a 94 ed 6cyl auto sedan with a nc Fairlane 3.27 lsd, Stage 2 crow cam, extractors etc and id like to get the diff gears changed to around 3.9:1 for better off the mark acceleration.
I have 2 questions

1.i have read about correcting the speedo and found some good info here. Basically people say leave your standard gear ratio cog on the speedo transducer then put a corrector in before the cluster so the speedo reads correct the put another corrector in after the cluster to the pcm/ecu to show it the stock signal so the trans shifts correctly.
Do I have this correct? That was what I read here for ef el is this the same setup for ed? Does the speed signal go transducer-cluster-ecu/pcm?

2.i live in Young NSW and theres no diff shops here can anyone recommend one in say canberra or wagga area who have done this before? And maybe a ball park price? Can you get new 3.9ish gears or do I have to chance it with 2nd hand skyline gears?

Thanks everyone.
enjoy your weekend.

the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Post subject: Re: ED DIFF RATIO SWAP
Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:16 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Best to let someone who knows what they're doing handle it... Big job...

There is no speed output from the cluster on ED... The speedo wire (999 white) is it... It runs into the inst cluster and tees off into the cruise module and the PCM... I don't enough about the computer logic to know whether it would be better to leave the unmodified signal going into the PCM or fit the signal modifier before the tee off in the loom so that both the PCM and the cluster see the modified signal... Cruise module wouldn't care as it just needs to see the wave form and when you hit set it tries to keep the same waveform, doesn't care what it actually is...

Even EF/EL I think the signal is tee'd off in the loom... I thought the speedo output from the cluster on them only ran cruise control... Maybe I'm wrong here but...

I'm in Leeton and my Brother had shot carrier bearings in his one tonner and Bullitt Transmissions in Wagga did a fantastic job... Can't help with the price but I'd guess around $1000 to $1200 maybe but they should be able to help more... His was cheap but they know the old man and he saved some labour by doing the brakes and axles while they only pulled the centre out and did the bearings... As such I'd hazard a guess that you'd be looking at the prices above...

They should be able to supply new gears or check ebay... Can't remember the diff model know but should be easy enough to find... The gears suit some skylines, pinteras, vr/vs commodore, and EA-AU falcon... I think the only thing with the skyline and similar was they weren't as beefy and didn't take as much torque maybe? Dunno, might be just spinning s**t too, something I thought I read somewhere once, I've never been down the oad as I'm happy with my manual and 3.45's...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:23 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

in the ed the best thing is to just leave the original speedo gear so the shift points stay correct and put the speedo corrector on the signal wire at the cluster as there is no speedo signal from the speed back to the ecu in ed

Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:13 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Ok.thanks for the info guys.

I have a t5 conversion in the shed that I got for cheap but it was a bit of an impulse buy at the time but my last 5 cars have been manual so ive been enjoying the auto for a bit of a change.but there so slow off the line.

With the t5 and the 3.45 diff can you get 100kmh out out 2nd gear or do you need to shift into 3rd?

the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]