Fordmods Logo

ED Falcon, A few queries 

 

Page 2 of 3 [ 31 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

 
Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 26

Posts: 1028

Joined: 13th Jul 2006

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Falcon

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

I've been talking to mum, and she is going to take it to our trusted mechanic in a couple of weeks time, as the first thing to be done will be the tires/suspension/alignment. As I am not paying for any of this, I guess mum's going to pick the size, but we will keep the rims. (I like those rims, nice.)

As for work, I think it's pretty clear the shifter linkage needs new bushes (or alternatively just a new shifter, hard to tell, but the mechanic will wok it out) the park brake could do with some adjusting, and the exhaust could do with some replacing, but it will be done in due course.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 49

Posts: 6467

Joined: 18th Dec 2006

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

Location: Rockhampton
QLD, Australia

andrewts wrote:
I've been talking to mum, and she is going to take it to our trusted mechanic in a couple of weeks time, as the first thing to be done will be the tires/suspension/alignment. As I am not paying for any of this, I guess mum's going to pick the size, but we will keep the rims. (I like those rims, nice.)

As for work, I think it's pretty clear the shifter linkage needs new bushes (or alternatively just a new shifter, hard to tell, but the mechanic will wok it out) the park brake could do with some adjusting, and the exhaust could do with some replacing, but it will be done in due course.


The 235/60R15, will protect the rims from hitting the gutters, original fittment was 205/65R15, a bit too skinny for a 15x7" rim, really.
The shifter will be fine after the bushes are replaced, use Zinc oxide (Castrol PH) grease to lube them.
Another thing to look for is a worn slip-yoke bush in the rear of the auto, they are renowned for it.

 

_________________

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 26

Posts: 1028

Joined: 13th Jul 2006

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Falcon

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

Okily doke, I will suggest the wider tires to 'er indoors tomorrow. I am taking down the suggestions as well to provide the mechanic with some "points of interest", so to speak.

Thanks.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 26

Posts: 1028

Joined: 13th Jul 2006

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Falcon

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

Oh and I checked the power steering fluid level, and it seems to be rather full indeed, so I am guessing just a shagged out old pump or the revs were too low.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:50 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 26

Posts: 1028

Joined: 13th Jul 2006

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Falcon

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

I cracked the service book out, and the last service it had was in 2002 at 151173KM. I think this car has changed hands more than once. That could mean it's way overdue, or the service shop didn't fill out the books.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:00 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline

Posts: 244

Joined: 29th Oct 2005

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

could mean either / or. Can only assume the worst ie no service for 50,000 kms
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 26

Posts: 1028

Joined: 13th Jul 2006

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Falcon

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

Yep, but it should be fine soon, my mother will be getting the entire car sorted out. I shall post back in this thread about the details, and what was done...

I checked the brake fluid today cjh... It's a beautiful, vibrant... green! And the power steering fluid is a warm, soothing... red! And the engine oil is a smooth, dark... brown. The trans fluid is pretty much normal.

As you said, brake fluid should be blue, and my father reckons the power steering fluid should be purple. Engine oil looks a little too dark on the dippery stick for my liking.

Basically, I will be back at school now, so I won't really be spending time looking after this, which is good, because my mother is just going to throw money at a mechanic, and it's really her car, and it's her problem! Yay!
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 704

Joined: 19th May 2006

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 2003 BA XT

Power: 141 rwkw

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

Good on you.

Nice work on the readable posts too, many here even up to 5 years older than you cannot use paragraphs or make what they are writing generally coherent.

Good luck with learning to drive too :) It's definately interesting anyway.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 26

Posts: 1028

Joined: 13th Jul 2006

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Falcon

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

Thanks mate, I appreciate it! If somebody pulls this up in a search, they will be able to get the information without too much difficulty hopefully.

As far as learning goes, I hope to get my licence about a week after my birthday in late July, and I will get started on driving hopefully straight away, as by then I will have been hit with the 120 hour quota. I will do plenty of driving to make that 120 hours, and I am in a way glad that it is mandated, because the possibilty that I will have more experience before I go out on my own sounds appealing to me, as the more the better.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 49

Posts: 6467

Joined: 18th Dec 2006

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

Location: Rockhampton
QLD, Australia

andrewts wrote:
Yep, but it should be fine soon, my mother will be getting the entire car sorted out. I shall post back in this thread about the details, and what was done...

I checked the brake fluid today cjh... It's a beautiful, vibrant... green! And the power steering fluid is a warm, soothing... red! And the engine oil is a smooth, dark... brown. The trans fluid is pretty much normal.

As you said, brake fluid should be blue, and my father reckons the power steering fluid should be purple. Engine oil looks a little too dark on the dippery stick for my liking.

Basically, I will be back at school now, so I won't really be spending time looking after this, which is good, because my mother is just going to throw money at a mechanic, and it's really her car, and it's her problem! Yay!


When the power steer fluid gets done, suggest using Ford part number R1-424. It lasts longer and is more kinder to the seals in the pump & the rack.
To flush it. you should use between 2 & 3 litres. They come in 1litre bottles.
Just remember, oil is cheap compaired to repairs.

 

_________________

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 686

Joined: 3rd Apr 2005

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: ed fairmont ghia, ed gli

Location: mildura
VIC, Australia

dont mean to start s**t but 235/60 r15s? bit over the top dont you think, if you need that much rubber there to protect the rims from the gutters perhaps spend some extra time parking in empty car parks without gutters, you dont need to go any wider then 215. an if you want something that looks a little fatter try the 225's


other then that sounds like an alright buy, an good luck with it all

 

_________________

I LOVE MY DOG

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 49

Posts: 6467

Joined: 18th Dec 2006

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

Location: Rockhampton
QLD, Australia

adrian` wrote:
dont mean to start s**t but 235/60 r15s? bit over the top dont you think, if you need that much rubber there to protect the rims from the gutters perhaps spend some extra time parking in empty car parks without gutters, you dont need to go any wider then 215. an if you want something that looks a little fatter try the 225's


other then that sounds like an alright buy, an good luck with it all


Then why do they put rim protectors on those tyres like 17 & 18 & 19's.
Anyway, I have B'stone Eagers SF340 in 235/60R15 on snowflake rims, which are 15 x 7, they look good, heaps of contact with the road.
When I had the std tyres of the 205/65R15, it would spin up at 70kmh in 2nd (its a manual with LSD), not good, lotsa fishtail. It stopped with the wider tyres, so now it does it in the rain, but then you drive steady then, eh?

 

_________________

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 686

Joined: 3rd Apr 2005

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: ed fairmont ghia, ed gli

Location: mildura
VIC, Australia

just so you know, the rim protector is actually designed to take a hit from a gutter or two.. still you dont see it stickin out a few cm past the rim do you?

you realise that with 235/60's there is a hell of a lot of tire just hanging out there waiting to be slamed into a gutter an pintched, just waiting for the cords to get f**k up and then the tire will sepo an well ah.... a bill for a new tire


its not rocket sience to realise you get more traction with fatter tires, but if your really that worried about spinning at 70k's then why not just take you foot off the accelerator or leave the clutch alone?

 

_________________

I LOVE MY DOG

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 26

Posts: 1028

Joined: 13th Jul 2006

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Falcon

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

I will say, it is a good idea, young driver, more traction, protect rims (a tire is cheaper then a rim), but, in a clapped out 4 speed auto connected to a 3.08 diff... traction isn't going to be a problem, I'm thinking.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 49

Posts: 6467

Joined: 18th Dec 2006

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

Location: Rockhampton
QLD, Australia

adrian` wrote:
just so you know, the rim protector is actually designed to take a hit from a gutter or two.. still you dont see it stickin out a few cm past the rim do you?

you realise that with 235/60's there is a hell of a lot of tire just hanging out there waiting to be slamed into a gutter an pintched, just waiting for the cords to get f**k up and then the tire will sepo an well ah.... a bill for a new tire


its not rocket sience to realise you get more traction with fatter tires, but if your really that worried about spinning at 70k's then why not just take you foot off the accelerator or leave the clutch alone?



No clutching involved sunshine, just torque.

 

_________________

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:45 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names