Fordmods Logo

ED Handbrake doesn't work 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: ED Handbrake doesn't work
Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:43 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Age: 22

Posts: 40

Joined: 5th Oct 2013

Ride: ED GLi

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

G'day mates

I recently bought a 93 ED Falcon. The main thing wrong with it is that the handbrake doesn't work! The "PARK BRAKE" dash light stays on and never goes off, while the handbrake doesn't tighten the brakes up at all. I can't make the light go off and I can't get it to work, lucky my car is auto so I can just use Park for now :P Any input?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ED Handbrake doesn't work
Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:49 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 49

Posts: 6467

Joined: 18th Dec 2006

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

Location: Rockhampton
QLD, Australia

R31 Mark wrote:
G'day mates

I recently bought a 93 ED Falcon. The main thing wrong with it is that the handbrake doesn't work! The "PARK BRAKE" dash light stays on and never goes off, while the handbrake doesn't tighten the brakes up at all. I can't make the light go off and I can't get it to work, lucky my car is auto so I can just use Park for now :P Any input?


Primary park brake cable is stuffed by the sounds of it....it's starting to fray inside the mechanism.

 

 

Attachments:
IMGP10343 (800x600) (640x480).jpg
IMGP10343 (800x600) (640x480).jpg [ 344.2 KiB | Viewed 47 times ]

 

_________________

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ED Handbrake doesn't work
Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:25 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Age: 22

Posts: 40

Joined: 5th Oct 2013

Ride: ED GLi

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

cjh wrote:
R31 Mark wrote:
G'day mates

I recently bought a 93 ED Falcon. The main thing wrong with it is that the handbrake doesn't work! The "PARK BRAKE" dash light stays on and never goes off, while the handbrake doesn't tighten the brakes up at all. I can't make the light go off and I can't get it to work, lucky my car is auto so I can just use Park for now :P Any input?


Primary park brake cable is stuffed by the sounds of it....it's starting to fray inside the mechanism.



Cheers for the reply,

If that is the case, what should I do mate?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ED Handbrake doesn't work
Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 49

Posts: 6467

Joined: 18th Dec 2006

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

Location: Rockhampton
QLD, Australia

R31 Mark wrote:

Cheers for the reply,

If that is the case, what should I do mate?


Replace it, and make sure it has plenty of lube on it.

 

_________________

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ED Handbrake doesn't work
Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 3374

Joined: 11th Mar 2008

Ride: EA SVO, AU2 Forte

Location: Bendigo
VIC, Australia

OR the rear caliper mechanisms have seized up. Happened on all 3 EA/EBs I have owned

 

_________________

Daily driver: AU2. 5 speed. 19" FG luxos. Full exhaust. Lowered. AU3 XR leather interior, converted to full power windows. 3.45 LSD. IN THE FUTURE: Tickford 6
Weekend driver: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. TCE 2800 stall. T76 turbo. Locked diff. On E85. approx 320rwkw. 11.5 @121mph

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ED Handbrake doesn't work
Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 49

Posts: 6467

Joined: 18th Dec 2006

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

Location: Rockhampton
QLD, Australia

89.SVO wrote:
OR the rear caliper mechanisms have seized up. Happened on all 3 EA/EBs I have owned


The front return spring should take care of the primary cable....????

 

_________________

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ED Handbrake doesn't work
Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:23 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 3374

Joined: 11th Mar 2008

Ride: EA SVO, AU2 Forte

Location: Bendigo
VIC, Australia

if it seizes the levers on the calipers will stick in the on position. like I said, happened on the last 3 early E series I've owned

 

_________________

Daily driver: AU2. 5 speed. 19" FG luxos. Full exhaust. Lowered. AU3 XR leather interior, converted to full power windows. 3.45 LSD. IN THE FUTURE: Tickford 6
Weekend driver: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. TCE 2800 stall. T76 turbo. Locked diff. On E85. approx 320rwkw. 11.5 @121mph

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ED Handbrake doesn't work
Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:33 am 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 53

Posts: 5589

Joined: 14th Jan 2005

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

Location: South Coast
NSW, Australia

+1 for the primary cable - the cable birdcages around the pulley that makes the cable go down through the floor. The handbrake light will stay on, regardless when tension is taken off the cable - seized rears won't have any bearing on the light, so I doubt that will be the cause.
Pretty easy fix to replace the front cable.

 

_________________

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:34 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names